Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

I realize that the middle of the thread is a horrible place for this to be hidden, but it can be hot linked to on the web version and probably via tapatalk someplace.  I'll update it as I find more information.  I found that I cannot edit it after a certain amount of time so I have to post updates later in the thread.

**caution** access and use of these screens is at your own risk study hard before throwing random setting switches.

They are hidden for a reason.

You should NOT have to hit "dial".  Tapping the final "#" of the trigger should take you to the screen.  If it doesn't, re-check what you entered for errors.

http://tools.flashingtools.com/
(MSL reader that worked)

##DEBUG#  (##33284#)
password:  SPRINT  (777468)
(LTE engineering screen - LTE connection data)

##DATA#  (##3282#)
"view" section - no password

"edit" section requires your unique msl code (see above for discovery tool app)
    The radio filters can be found here.

To set LTE only mode:
-Scroll down the list
<more>
<HDR/1X Selection>
(Note your personal default setting so you can return to it later!

-should be "EHRPD 1x Mode" ?)

<LTE Only Mode>  - doesn't normally require a reboot
Restoring to eHRPD mode usually requires a reboot of the phone.

##DIAG#
-no password or msl code?
Use for?

##INFO#   (4636) <--  MISSING!  need to find equivalent screen for S4T
(on some other phone models this has the "LTE only mode" toggle - see DATA above)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalcheck

If you have any additions or updates, let me know and I'll update this post.

-Thanks to all who helped me get this far.

• Like 1

For a while, I thought forcing "LTE only" was changing something else.  When I returned it to "eHRPD mode", -which is where I thought I had started from, the phone didn't seem to search for LTE in the background as it was before.

Fact is that it probably wasn't looking for LTE at all.  The selection doesn't say it as explicitly as the others but that has to be eHRPD only.

I must have remembered wrong or the screen misled me and didn't indicate my true current mode the first time I visited it.  I should have done a screen cap.  Ah well.

It looks like the way to restore is to select LTE+CDMA+EVDO mode.

That runs the 1x800, eHRPD, and searches for / connects to LTE as before.

Edited by SturgeonGeneral

I think its just a bad one or the area, as others have mentioned. I have a 720T and my wife has a 720. I specifically waited an extra few weeks so I could get the triband version even though we probably wont get spark here. Neither of us have any problems changing from 4g to 3g and I actually think I have better battery life. When on 4g Im just connected to 4g towers but with my wife's shes connected to 4g and cdma. The only downside on my T is the total lack of modder community support.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Edited by wlc108

I think its just a bad one or the area, as others have mentioned. I have a 720T and my wife has a 720. I specifically waited an extra few weeks so I could get the triband version even though we probably wont get spark here. Neither of us have any problems changing from 4g to 3g and I actually think I have better battery life. When on 4g Im just connected to 4g towers but with my wife's shes connected to 4g and cdma. The only downside on my T is the total lack of modder community support.Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Community support will probably change with time as more phones get into the market.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Well, I have had ny GS4T, SPHL720TBK, for just under a week at this point. 

I like it and it's overall performance has been good.

The BAD:

When leaving a 4G LTE served area - it takes a while to acquire a 3G data signal.  Once you leave a 4G LTE served area it generally takes its about 2 minutes and even up to several minutes sometimes for it to acquire a 3G signal for data transfer (during which time you're without data service and the dreaded "This page canNOT be loaded" message pops up).  We have many areas where 4G LTE is not yet up in Reno, NV - and, I'm often a passenger in a vehicle and when it drives out of a 4G served area - no data for at least 2 minutes - so this has been a bit annoying.

The GOOD:

But, on the other side of the coin, its ability to acquire a 4G LTE signal is dramtic.  It seems to aggressively hunt for and change to 4G LTE when entering a 4G LTE served area (even on the fringe of such an area). 

My previous phone, an S3, seemed to be just the opposite pouncing on a 3G signal, even when 4G LTE was available.

Calls have rung through easily even when I've been browsing - though of course there's no SVLTE.

Then of course there's the cute - sometimes spinning - SPARK symbol added to the top of the homescreen.

I have a follow-up to my previous posting.

After reading other members posting their thoughts and observations, I thought that I needed to explore the possibility that I had a bad GS4, SPH720T phone.

So, I have further investigated the 4G LTE to 3G switching of the GS4 SPHL720T that I previously described.

It seems that this only happens when I'm in an area where BOTH the 4G LTE and 3G signal are weak.  The 4G LTE has dropped and the 4G LTE signal strength is -11x AND ALSO the 3G signal strength is weak -100ish or worse at the 4G LTE signal loss.

I took a GS3 and a GS4, SPHL720, along with ANOTHER GS4, SPHL720T and used them for comparisons to my GS4, SPHL720T while driving through the areas that I was having issues, places I travel through often, for a side by side comparison.

The GS3 and the GS4 test comparison phones dropped the 4G LTE signal sooner than my SPHL720T and the borrowed 720T when leaving the 4G LTE signal area and both switched to 3G before either of the 720T phones.  The 720T phones held on to the 4G LTE signal longer while approaching the fringe of the 4G LTE coverage and were still able to transfer data via 4G LTE, even though the GS3 and GS4 had already dropped 4G LTE in favor of 3G.

By the time the 720T phones let go of the 4G LTE - the signal strength of the 3G signal in the problem areas was weak -100ish or worse.  While the GS3 and GS4 that had already established their 3G lock continued to hang onto their 3G connections and were able to transfer data, BOTH of the 720T phones we're left looking for the 3G signal, but BOTH unable to quickly acquire it.  However, once the signal strength of the 3G was better -96ish (according to the GS3 and GS4), the 720T phones both acquired the 3G.  So it seems that my perceived long wait for 3G signal acquisition may be a case of 3G signal strength, but then begs the question, why are BOTH the GS3 and GS4 able to 3G when the 720T phones aren't?

So, I don't know the reason or the cause, perhaps antenna arrangement/size changed with the additional Sprint Spark radios (I haven't checked this).

However, in good signal areas where the 4G LTE reaches its fringe, but the 3G signal is good let's call it -98ish or better my 720T does change to 3G without the long delay.

I have a follow-up to my previous posting.

After reading other members posting their thoughts and observations, I thought that I needed to explore the possibility that I had a bad GS4, SPH720T phone.

So, I have further investigated the 4G LTE to 3G switching of the GS4 SPHL720T that I previously described.

LONG story snipped off

Your S3 & S4 was able to acquire the 3G quickly as they were still seeing a fairly good 3g Signal when the 4G dropped. They held on to the 3G for a long time as they did not have much of an alternative.

Your S4T phones was able to hold on to the 4G longer, but when the 4G did eventually drop, the 3G was about worthless. Yes, your old S3 & S4 were still holding on, but probably just barely. It is easier to hold on to a very weak data signal than it is to acquire it.

• Like 1

Only you can say if its worth it to you. If you were looking at a N5 you probably could just say no because it's cheaper from Google but with a S4T I think the price will be about the same everywhere. I haven't seen actual prices anywhere else for the S4T yet so I'm guessing.

Sent from my SPH-L900

http://tools.flashingtools.com/

(MSL reader that worked)

Interesting that the MSL reader (SPCUltility.apk) actually works for both a rooted and non-rooted phone. Tested on a Samsung Galaxy Mega (rooted) and a Galaxy Note 2 (non-rooted). 

TS

I'm hoping someone can help me-zip 18503-lte out in patches,3g at home-have the s4 and I can get the s4T now since the store lied about not having a s4T-bitched to customer care-will the s4t work in this area or am I better off keeping the s4? Thank you in advance

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping someone can help me-zip 18503-lte out in patches,3g at home-have the s4 and I can get the s4T now since the store lied about not having a s4T-bitched to customer care-will the s4t work in this area or am I better off keeping the s4? Thank you in advance

Go to sensorly.com and plug in your zip code there, select the map for Sprint 4g and look at all the places you visit regularly. That map will show you places that are covered now and that people have mapped so far. As the other two frequencies are added, that will improve performance over and above the capabilities of the plain s4. Trade-off is that you lose svlte.

I've also noticed that since the 4.4 update-my single band s4 does not show band 26 & 41 anymore-I know they weren't available before just listed but now hthey've been removed-should help with confused souls

4.4 hasn't come to the S4T yet to my knowledge but I haven't been following the rollout at all.

Looks like the update is imminent for the S4T, samsung's opensource site now has the source posted for L720TVPUBNAF. When that happened for the Single band S4 the release began the next day.

• Like 2

Looks like the update is imminent for the S4T, samsung's opensource site now has the source posted for L720TVPUBNAF. When that happened for the Single band S4 the release began the next day.

Is this zip flashable to a regular device?