Is this site you're connected to 4G LTE accepted? Without that, 3G NV can still be hooked up to legacy backhaul. Even with that, they just might not be running enough EV-DO carriers. How bad was your Ec/Io (aka how much interference was there)?

Im in the central jersey market, so theyre all 3G accepted, but not 4G. Have been for maybe a month now.

Unsure about interference? Tower is 2 blocks away.

Im in the central jersey market, so theyre all 3G accepted, but not 4G. Have been for maybe a month now.

Unsure about interference? Tower is 2 blocks away.

Backhaul is probably not there yet, that's why you're likely getting those speeds.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

In my opinion, I feel as if this would be a good idea of the newer 3G speeds. This is what I usually get around Buffalo

Exactly. This is what I get at pretty much all of the NV sites in the Jax area. 1.5-2.5mbps. I don't think I've ever seen EVdO on a NV site fall below 1mbps. I'm tickled with the network experience I'm getting on the 3G side. The LTE side of Network Vision is even better. I am averaging 6-30mbps on LTE around here, very rarely ever seeing speeds slower than 6mbps.

I've said this in other threads before, but my Verizon devices have really slowed down on both EVDO and LTE. I'm seeing pre-NV 3G speeds (0.1-0.7mbps) on Verizon and LTE is generally slower than my Sprint iPhone 5 and Mifi 500 TriBand hotspot.

• Like 3

St Augustine is still hit or miss. Sometimes I get around 0.3 mbps-0.6 mbps and sometimes I get 1.0 mbps-2.5 mbps at the same sites, but at least it isn't 0.01-0.03 mbps anymore..

• Like 1

IMO the thing that really sets it apart is the fiber backhaul. If a tower doesn't have fiber run to it latency and speeds suffer immensely in a city. Might not be a big problem in smaller towns, but will probably become one as more people think it is necessary to stream pandora  and youtube 24/7

IMO the thing that really sets it apart is the fiber backhaul. If a tower doesn't have fiber run to it latency and speeds suffer immensely in a city. Might not be a big problem in smaller towns, but will probably become one as more people think it is necessary to stream pandora  and youtube 24/7

It's a problem in small towns and even in rural areas too.  Trust me.   :wacko:

• Like 2

Besides the 800 mhz rollout, would network vision upgrades increase the signal strength dramatically? I know my area isn't broadcasting 800 mhz, but in my in house I normally got about 3 bars of service, but all this weekend my phone has been a solid 6 bars. It seems my wimax reception has been steadily declining, though.

Besides the 800 mhz rollout, would network vision upgrades increase the signal strength dramatically? I know my area isn't broadcasting 800 mhz, but in my in house I normally got about 3 bars of service, but all this weekend my phone has been a solid 6 bars. It seems my wimax reception has been steadily declining, though.

Others may be able to speak to this better than I, but my understanding is that NV does result in some marginal improvements in 1900mhz coverage due to the new panels and use of RRUs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

So all the towers around my current location are 3G NV.

I did some speed checks, and the results were abysmal.

Signal = 76dbm   (for 3G, obviously, unsure where the wimax comes from)

Bottom results 3G, middle = wimax, top = home wifi

All tests taken from same location (my bed!)

2013-08-11160524_zps3a73936d.png

Come September, Ill give Sprint a ring if the results continue to be this bad.

I swear the 3G was better pre-NV.

Just cause a site is NV 3G Accepted does not mean it has advanced fiber or 24Ghz Microwave Backhaul setup. It probably has old backhaul (Bonded T1's etc..) What you really want to look for is a NV 3G/4G Accepted Site to test 3G Speeds on because then 3G will be running over the newer high capacity backhaul.

• Like 1

Just cause a site is NV 3G Accepted does not mean it has advanced fiber or 24Ghz Microwave Backhaul setup. It probably has old backhaul (Bonded T1's etc..) What you really want to look for is a NV 3G/4G Accepted Site to test 3G Speeds on because then 3G will be running over the newer high capacity backhaul.

True, my 3G tower was accepted for some time and I did not know why my tower was slow. I read what 3G accepted meant on the site and I realized that my tower was still on T1's. When my tower became 4G complete speeds jumped to 1.7Mbps at peak times. Ec/lo is also relevant. The closer that number is to 0dbm, the higher my speeds became. 

Problem is, the speeds are significantly slower than they were before NV.

I never got 1mb, but I was getting 500kbs....not 16.

3G here in Chicago is awful :td: . Love being in an LTE area which Chicago land is getting alot more of, but once it drops back to 3G I put the phone away, cant even stream Spotify or Slacker.

Which area of Chicago are you in when you get poor 3G speeds?

3G here in Chicago is awful :td: . Love being in an LTE area which Chicago land is getting alot more of, but once it drops back to 3G I put the phone away, cant even stream Spotify or Slacker.

Which area of Chicago are you in when you get poor 3G speeds?

If your in an area near the outskirts of Chicago there are alot of sites that are still waiting advanced backhaul. Where in Chicago are you getting bad 3G Speeds like ericdabbs said....

It is because so many people stream Spotify and Slacker and other music and video programs that the service is overloaded. Along with Sprint's less than optimal licenses in Chicago.

I experience awful EVDO especially during weekdays between 12-8 all across Northwest Indiana, and several parts of Chicago and other suburbs. It's been this way since about December 2012. 

I consistently see 150-500 kbps all day long everywhere I go around here. LTE has begun to take a noticeable hit for me too, but still works good for my needs/wants. I've been noticing alot of flakiness in NWI the past week as though they have been changing something...  ;)

Everything was great from when I first started with Sprint in September til december, in the backhaul upgraded areas on EVDO at the time.

I saw better EVDO performance on Legacy sites with T1's out in the southwest during peak hours this summer, then I do on our full NV sites around here. 

• Like 1

simplesam, on 20 Aug 2013 - 5:04 PM, said:

It is because so many people stream Spotify and Slacker and other music and video programs that the service is overloaded. Along with Sprint's less than optimal licenses in Chicago.

Once Sprint is able to use the spectrum that USCC sold it (after USCC's network in the area gets shut down) its spectrum situation will improve dramatically in Chicago.

• Like 1

I experience awful EVDO especially during weekdays between 12-8 all across Northwest Indiana, and several parts of Chicago and other suburbs. It's been this way since about December 2012.

NWI is still missing a lot of 4G/LTE accepted sites.  There are mostly 3G/800 which leads to my question that I am sure someone can answer.  We know that a site won't be 4G accepted until there is upgraded backhaul, but can a site be 3G/800 accepted with legacy backhaul?

NWI is still missing a lot of 4G/LTE accepted sites.  There are mostly 3G/800 which leads to my question that I am sure someone can answer.  We know that a site won't be 4G accepted until there is upgraded backhaul, but can a site be 3G/800 accepted with legacy backhaul?

All but 5-6 sites in Lake county are LTE/3G accepted (and many 3G800 as well), which is where the majority of the population in NWI is. So when I referred to NWI I was pretty much just referring to Lake county. 

Also to answer your question, yes. 

All but 5-6 sites in Lake county are LTE/3G accepted (and many 3G800 as well), which is where the majority of the population in NWI is. So when I referred to NWI I was pretty much just referring to Lake county.

OK, when you get that specific.  I was considering NWI to be more that just that one county.  I was looking at the six counties in the Central Time zone.

Edited by azoclark