Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Now, we are being cited on some tech blogs as "S4Gru."  Yes, we are the Sprint Network Vision focused site in Russia.  Hmm, as I suggested to Robert some time ago, we might as well register the shortcut domain name.

S4G.ru

AJ

• Like 6

Now, we are being cited on some tech blogs as "S4Gru." Yes, we are the Sprint Network Vision focused site in Russia. Hmm, as I suggested to Robert some time ago, we might as well register the shortcut domain name.

S4G.ru

AJ

Looks like they have corrected it, but the Android Police article originally cited "S4Guru" which could be a Samsung fan site I guess

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

post-524-13785262811997_thumb.jpg

They are idiots. The D820 has LTE. Why are they saying that it doesn't? Maybe the D821 is the Verizon version? Or maybe for a Chinese carrier with their specific bands? I guess we will know when it gets approved by the FCC OET.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

They are idiots. The D820 has LTE. Why are they saying that it doesn't? Maybe the D821 is the Verizon version? Or maybe for a Chinese carrier with their specific bands? I guess we will know when it gets approved by the FCC OET.

I couldn't even read that article, that ad placement is awful. I understand that they need those to stay afloat, but it shouldn't hinder the reading experience that badly.

I couldn't even read that article, that ad placement is awful. I understand that they need those to stay afloat, but it shouldn't hinder the reading experience that badly.

That giant ad does have a close button in the upper right of it.

That giant ad does have a close button in the upper right of it.

Weird, I clicked on it again and the layout was completely different and much more readable.  :unsure: 

I highly doubt the device will be sold from Google Play for Sprint. It will probably be very similar to the Galaxy Nexus. Only the GSM model was sold from Google while the CDMA models were sold from the carriers. This is the only thing that bums me out about Sprint.

• Like 2

I highly doubt the device will be sold from Google Play for Sprint. It will probably be very similar to the Galaxy Nexus. Only the GSM model was sold from Google while the CDMA models were sold from the carriers. This is the only thing that bums me out about Sprint.

Since this model has multiple bands of LTE built in, which give us support for AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, there is no reason for Google not to sell it in Google play. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus' for Sprint and Verizon were essentially different devices that the carriers had control over. With no Verizon, and Sprint being more of an open-minded carrier than Verizon, I expect Google to sell a Sprint version on their site.

• Like 3

Since this model has multiple bands of LTE built in, which give us support for AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, there is no reason for Google not to sell it in Google play. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus' for Sprint and Verizon were essentially different devices that the carriers had control over. With no Verizon, and Sprint being more of an open-minded carrier than Verizon, I expect Google to sell a Sprint version on their site.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, does this mean that the Sprint models will already be in the Sprint system? I am finding that process to be a long shot.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, does this mean that the Sprint models will already be in the Sprint system? I am finding that process to be a long shot.

How so? Apple has all CDMA iPhone 5's that are refurbished in the Sprint database. Long story, it's in the iPhone forum. But once you choose a carrier, said phone is locked to it, and can't be changed.

The downside to the all encompassing North American LTE version potentially being sold on Google Play is that it will likely come with no access to engineering screens.  If so, it cannot be considered a proper device for a wireless network nerd.

AJ

How so? Apple has all CDMA iPhone 5's that are refurbished in the Sprint database. Long story, it's in the iPhone forum. But once you choose a carrier, said phone is locked to it, and can't be changed.

True, but all the carriers always bow down to Apple. Hopefully it will work in a similar way.

The downside to the all encompassing North American LTE version potentially being sold on Google Play is that it will likely come with no access to engineering screens. If so, it cannot be considered a proper device for a wireless network nerd.

AJ

Ouch! I forgot about that. That could really throw a monkey wrench into people's plans. Lets hope it does have the engineering screens.

True, but all the carriers always bow down to Apple. Hopefully it will work in a similar way.

I hope so too.

Ouch! I forgot about that. That could really throw a monkey wrench into people's plans. Lets hope it does have the engineering screens.

If a single hardware/software version is available for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint on Google Play, you can practically forget about engineering screens.  They were not accessible on the Nexus 4.

That is the downside of "plain vanilla" Android.  Now, I ask this question -- how can a Kit Kat be "plain vanilla"?

AJ

• Like 3

If a single hardware/software version is available for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint on Google Play, you can practically forget about engineering screens. They were not accessible on the Nexus 4.

AJ

That really would be bad. :/ Unless they decide to add them back in, but LG didn't do it last time. I guess now I hope they separate the Sprint ones and keep the engineering screens.

If a single hardware/software version is available for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint on Google Play, you can practically forget about engineering screens.  They were not accessible on the Nexus 4.

That is the downside of "plain vanilla" Android.  Now, I ask this question -- how can a Kit Kat be "plain vanilla"?

AJ

You may be onto something here.  Do I spy a vanilla flavor of Kit-Kat in the making?

• Like 2

Among many other things -- such as healthy competition, Net neutrality, and the FCC -- AT&T hates engineering screens.  Like it or not, AT&T drives the bus on some of these matters.

Randall Stephenson says, "My serfs do not require that information.  I will let them know what they need to know."

AJ

• Like 1

Among many other things -- such as healthy competition, Net neutrality, and the FCC -- AT&T hates engineering screens.  Like it or not, AT&T drives the bus on some of these matters.

Randall Stephenson says, "My serfs do not require that information.  I will let them know what they need to know."

AJ

with the hardware being so close to the G2... I suspect the Sprint G2 "stock" roms (w/engineering screens) would work on the device if proper bootloader, rpm and tz was set. bit of a stretch but should be doable. 

tbh, I'm hoping for a non-GPE version that Sprint sells.. with all of the normal Sprint hidden menus and dialer codes we're used to. If anything was locked... it'd be easily unlocked to be on par with the GPE version.

Now, we are being cited on some tech blogs as "S4Gru."  Yes, we are the Sprint Network Vision focused site in Russia.  Hmm, as I suggested to Robert some time ago, we might as well register the shortcut domain name.

S4G.ru

AJ

All the big players get the foreign website that works into their slogans... ".it" is common, etc... I hope Robert secures the name, van if it only redirects here...

It could be a political decision, retribution for VZW.  Or it could be a technical reason, since band class 13 is the only one of the bunch that has an inverted FDD downlink/uplink.

AJ

Neither. VZW likely wouldn't agree to terms permitting the sale of the handset on the Play Store. 2013 Nexus 7 is a firm rebuttal to any technical issues with Bands 13+12/17 in the same device.

Neither. VZW likely wouldn't agree to terms permitting the sale of the handset on the Play Store. 2013 Nexus 7 is a firm rebuttal to any technical issues with Bands 13+12/17 in the same device.

Come on, Neal.  It is a "political decision."  You even agreed as such in a chat message that you sent me.  Now, you are just arguing semantics.

AJ

Come on, Neal.  It is a "political decision."  You even agreed as such in a chat message that you sent me.  Now, you are just arguing semantics.

AJ

Yes, I did. It is political. I forgot to delete the word "neither" before posting.  :blush: