Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Triband or not, I think I just scratched the Note3 off my list for 2013 and probably an upgrade altogether.  The Note 2 remains fantastic and meets my needs and Sprint's network offerings for the next 6 months.  

I'm sure its a fantastic device, but I would be more interested in getting my hands on a more finessed tri-band Galaxy S5 of whatever the next iteration becomes...  Its due time for a big overhaul more in line with the changes made between the first 3 generations.  The faux leather back is a sign that Samsung is finally willing to attend to the nanny complaints about housing (personally never cared, all galaxy devices have had better than average durability with drops and hardware reliability is stellar)... perhaps they will put out something with stunning, industrial-esque hardware next year. 

That being said, waiting with baited breath to read the full reviews on Sprint's Note3. 

Triband or not, I think I just scratched the Note3 off my list for 2013 and probably an upgrade altogether.  The Note 2 remains fantastic and meets my needs and Sprint's network offerings for the next 6 months.  

I'm sure its a fantastic device, but I would be more interested in getting my hands on a more finessed tri-band Galaxy S5 of whatever the next iteration becomes...  Its due time for a big overhaul more in line with the changes made between the first 3 generations.  The faux leather back is a sign that Samsung is finally willing to attend to the nanny complaints about housing (personally never cared, all galaxy devices have had better than average durability with drops and hardware reliability is stellar)... perhaps they will put out something with stunning, industrial-esque hardware next year. 

That being said, waiting with baited breath to read the full reviews on Sprint's Note3. 

U have an upgrade available or were you thinking about paying full retail for the Note 3?

U have an upgrade available or were you thinking about paying full retail for the Note 3?

One of my lines has an upgrade.  When I am ready, i'll flip the Note 2 and do the switcharoo.  That being said, I never let upgrade eligibility keep me from doing what I want ; ^_^

tumblr_m870gmbkrR1qzccmno1_500.gif

From ars;

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-note-iii-and-note-10-1/

The launch window is particularly impressive—Samsung is doing a worldwide launch of the Note III in 149 countries on September 25. Only the US and Japan are delayed until October.

To me, this pretty much seals that it will be tri-band, I suspect it will be a single sprint/softbank compatible device..

also, the tablet is indicated to support 800/2600 (but not 1900?);

NETWORK

LTE: LTE CAT4 800/850/900/1800/2100/2600
HSPA+ 42Mbps 850/900/1900/2100, HSUPA 5.76Mbps
3G: HSPA+ 21Mbps 850/900/1900/2100, HSUPA 5.76Mbps
  • Like 1

From ars;

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-note-iii-and-note-10-1/

To me, this pretty much seals that it will be tri-band, I suspect it will be a single sprint/softbank compatible device..

Digiblur is right, it can't be the US version since 700 MHz is not supported.  The 2600 MHz LTE support in that article is for Japan since they have deployed LTE 2600 out in Japan.

From ars;

I had noticed that there was no 1900 LTE (but there was 800/2600) on the Tablet during the live video (I watched it for around 15 or so minutes this afternoon)... I just dismissed it as another market's tablet.

I had noticed that there was no 1900 LTE (but there was 800/2600) on the Tablet during the live video (I watched it for around 15 or so minutes this afternoon)... I just dismissed it as another market's tablet.

I wouldn't put much stock into the article, the information is clearly for the international version.  All it says in the specs for the US version is that the LTE bands supported will be market dependent and we know in the US that the case is also that it is wireless carrier dependent.

Oh dear, You got catfished and you have to deal with a problematic member? You do not have my envy.

Yes, HawaiiD lured me in with his lyrical, poetic paragraphs.  I was practically hypnotized.  I think his real name might be Ronaiah or Lennay.

AJ

Yes, HawaiiD lured me in with his lyrical, poetic paragraphs.  I was practically hypnotized.  I think his real name might be Ronaiah or Lennay.

AJ

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't pick up on the "problematic member" part of that but whatever.

HawaiiD is not for

you, you see

for he wants to go 

to France while you

just aren't a fan

of pants.

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't pick up on the "problematic member" part of that but whatever.

Oh, I did catch that part, but I was not going to touch it, not even while wearing latex gloves.

AJ

I'm really not liking this trend of lacking Svxxx. It's like we are sliding back to the Vision days. On numerous occasions while out at a meeting on a conference call that I've gotten an email that has completely changed my day (reschedule meetings, emergency meetings, or something that needed my immediate attention etc). I might actually have to drop sprint after 11 years of service.

I'm also pretty surprised how many people are nonchalant about it. I'm sure there are people that rarely use call waiting or three way calling, but sprint wouldn't dare take those features away.

Edited by zeneker
  • Like 3

I'm really not liking this trend of lacking Svxxx. It's like we are sliding back to the Vision days. On numerous occasions while out at a meeting on a conference call that I've gotten an email that has completely changed my day (reschedule meetings, emergency meetings, or something that needed my immediate attention etc). I might actually have to drop sprint after 11 years of service.

I'm also pretty surprised how many people are nonchalant about it. I'm sure there are people that rarely use call waiting or three way calling, but sprint wouldn't dare take those features away.

Get a FreedomPop LTE broadband modem for when you absolutely need it. 500MB of data for free every month. It's worth the investment.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Get a FreedomPop LTE broadband modem for when you absolutely need it. 500MB of data for free every month. It's worth the investment.

It's not that I tether frequently (which I do tether my s3 in emergency situations.). It's while sitting on a phone call, that something as small in data as an email has been crucial. To me Svxx is just as important as call waiting to others. It's like sprint refuses to give me what I need. Finally I can get an flagship smartphone from sprint that is international ready, but I lose simultaneous voice and data. It's like I can't win and by winning I mean paying my hard earned money for.

• Like 1

It's not that I tether frequently (which I do tether my s3 in emergency situations.). It's while sitting on a phone call, that something as small in data as an email has been crucial. To me Svxx is just as important as call waiting to others. It's like sprint refuses to give me what I need. Finally I can get an flagship smartphone from sprint that is international ready, but I lose simultaneous voice and data. It's like I can't win and by winning I mean paying my hard earned money for.

I understand where you are coming from. That's why I suggested the FreedomPop. Free data every month, or you can upgrade to higher data allotment, and it still runs on Sprint's network. Plus, the data devices pull a better signal than most phones do.

You should try grooveip. Its an app in the playstore that does voice over IP with your google voice number. It works solid for me on LTE, even while driving! Maybe 2% of calls drop, but it also comes with an improvement in voice quality (from what I've observed.)  :tu: 

With Sprint you have the option to integrate your number with google voice, so this set up is quite nice.

I'm pretty bummed about the Note 3 not having SVDO/SVLTE.  It's a deal killer for me since I don't have WiFi at work to fill the void.  I've gotten accustomed to it on my EVO and it sure is a nice change from the past devices lacking it.  I was going to pick one up on release day, but I think I'll wait for something else down the road.

• Like 1

1x data would still work while on calls, correct? Obviously that's unbearably slow in this day and age for most things, but that could be enough for email and other basic notifications until some OEM steps up to bring their engineers together to figure out how to bring back SVLTE. It's not as if VoLTE is just around the corner for Sprint. It's several years away yet, so this problem should not be brushed under the rug.

I've been considering picking up a MiFi 500 from FreedomPop myself, but to use one as a workaround for this new limitation (or rather, an old one brought back from the grave) is still a step backwards when the whole point of a smartphone is to combine multiple devices into one.

• Like 1

1x data would still work while on calls, correct? Obviously that's unbearably slow in this day and age for most things, but that could be enough for email and other basic notifications until some OEM steps up to bring their engineers together to figure out how to bring back SVLTE. It's not as if VoLTE is just around the corner for Sprint. It's several years away yet, so this problem should not be brushed under the rug.

I've been considering picking up a MiFi 500 from FreedomPop myself, but to use one as a workaround for this new limitation (or rather, an old one brought back from the grave) is still a step backwards when the whole point of a smartphone is to combine multiple devices into one.

No, 1X data wouldn't work, there's only one path for all the celluar radios, meaning you can only use one at a time.

We've concluded that the Note III's FCC docs aren't out yet, right?  Why is everyone so solid that there's no SVDO/SVLTE?  Is it because the G2, which is using the same CPU doesn't have it?

Most people are choosing to believe what AJ said about price being a concern, also I'm personally taking the stance of until a Tri-band phone comes out with SVLTE I don't believe it.

We've concluded that the Note III's FCC docs aren't out yet, right?  Why is everyone so solid that there's no SVDO/SVLTE?  Is it because the G2, which is using the same CPU doesn't have it?

From what I understand, before the G2 FCC docs came out, there were already rumors of triband devices not including SVLTE due to cost concerns. Now that the G2 and this GS4 Mini do not include it, the prediction is the rest will not include it either.

We've concluded that the Note III's FCC docs aren't out yet, right? Why is everyone so solid that there's no SVDO/SVLTE? Is it because the G2, which is using the same CPU doesn't have it?

I think it has to do with so many radios and bands being crammed into one device. The only reason I might hold out a glimmer of hope is that the larger size of the Note could give them more flexibility to do so, maybe sorta could be.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4