Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

I'm with Robert here, my first read of the PR was fishy because tri-band was not mentioned. Seems like a skip to me...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Did you read my follow up post to Robert's post? Sprint has said in the triband LTE hotspot press release that LG and Samsung smartphones would be released with triband LTE capabilities later on in the year. So far the only other Samsung smartphone since that announcement is the Galaxy Mega 6.3 which is a midrange phone. I would be very shocked if the Galaxy Mega 6.3 got triband LTE and the Galaxy Note 3 didn't.

Also at what point does Sprint need to continue putting in their press releases "triband LTE support". I mean Sprint has said from 2014 and beyond all LTE devices will be triband LTE. Again without FCC doc confirmation, we are all worrying for nothing.

Hell I thought the HTC One and GS4 would be triband LTE but it turns out it wasn't when it was confirmed in the FCC docs.

• Like 1

If the subsidized Galaxy Note 3 were to cost differentially $100 more at Sprint, people would find another reason to bitch.  See my point?

AJ

I see your point, and I'm not arguing it. My preference would be triband, or a more expensive triband with svlte over no triband support. I know I am not the majority.

I just can't imagine SVLTE being so important they decided to skip out on triband support.

If the Galaxy Note 3 was not the triband device Sprint was referring to, then what was? The GS4 Active? Really?

Did you read my follow up post to Robert's post? Sprint has said in the triband LTE hotspot press release that LG and Samsung smartphones would be released with triband LTE capabilities later on in the year. So far the only other Samsung phone smartphone is the Galaxy Mega 6.3 which is a midrange phone. I would be very shocked if the Galaxy Mega 6.3 got triband LTE and the Galaxy Note 3 didn't.

Also at one point does Sprint need to continue putting in their press releases "triband LTE support". I mean Sprint has said from 2014 and beyond all LTE devices will be triband LTE. Again without FCC doc confirmation, we are all worrying for nothing.

Hell I thought the HTC One and GS4 would be triband LTE but it turns out it wasn't when it was confirmed in the FCC docs.

If this was triband, Sprint would be screaming about it in the PR. Triband is the latest selling point for Sprint and they will push the buzzword as much as they push LTE. It is the biggest part of the LG PR!

My gut is that the Samsung device that will be triband is an updated S4.

This phone costs enough and will be profitable enough for Samsung to be able to cram SVLTE in. If this was the only tri-band handset that offered SVLTE, how much more would that have placed it above the competition? If they indeed skipped tri-band, I think they will come to regret it.

I just can't imagine SVLTE being so important they decided to skip out on triband support.

I tend to agree, but I am just throwing out there a possibility as a point of discussion.

Then, when the facts come down, you know that you can count on S4GRU for the straight scoop.

AJ

• Like 1

This phone costs enough and will be profitable enough for Samsung to be able to cram SVLTE in. If this was the only tri-band handset that offered SVLTE, how much more would that have placed it above the competition?

Not at all.  Inclusion of SVLTE is not a selling point to average consumers.  Omission of simultaneous voice and data, though, is an unsettling surprise for almost any subs who come over from AT&T or T-Mobile at this point.

AJ

• Like 1

Was hoping for a human leather back instead. Totally Disappointed.

Should we start calling you "Buffalo Bill"?  Or maybe Jame Runagumb?

AJ

• Like 1

If this was triband, Sprint would be screaming about it in the PR. Triband is the latest selling point for Sprint and they will push the buzzword as much as they push LTE. It is the biggest part of the LG PR!

My gut is that the Samsung device that will be triband is an updated S4.

So I looked at the Galaxy Mega 6.3 press release and it didn't mention it either.  Also ehhh i am still not convinced that a triband GS4 will hit Sprint.  We have been talking about it for months with no confirmation.  

Also the Sprint LG G2 press release is posted below.  So can you point out where this Sprint LG G2 press release screams out triband LTE?  I don't see it.  This gives me comfort since it doesn't scream out triband LTE.

Sprint LG G2 press release

http://investors.sprint.com/file.aspx?iid=4057219&fid=18799541

I don't know what you were expecting.in terms of the specs in general.  For the screen resolution, it was pretty predictable in terms of it was obviously going to be super amoled 1080p screen.  Were you expecting a screen resolution higher?  There is no reason to go higher than 1080p at this point.

Also the camera sensor at 13 MP is fine.  A fallacy is that the more MP equals better quality which is not true.  13 MP is plenty good enough for a camera and is a huge improvement over the 8 MP Note 2.

The battery was a bit disappointing at 3200 maH.  I was really expecting a 3500 maH battery or the rumored 3450 maH battery.  I just hope improvements in software can help account for the smaller than expected battery increase.

In terms of looks, I completely disagree with you and I actually liked the GS4 shape with the roundness and I was hoping that the Note 3 would look similar to it which it does.  I just don't get why people want something crazy revolutionary.  Its going to be squared shape anyways.  The leather back was a huge surprise given that its history lends itself to a plastic backing and it seemed like the speaker is now on the bottom which is a great change.  I didn't see a hole in the back of phone which was a surprise since I speakers in the back since you can't hear anything when you lay it down.

They didn't mention some of the specs that were similar to the GS4 such as a microSD card slot, removable battery and IR blaster but I assume it was standard and is included in it.

My purpose of watching the livestream was to confirm the specs that were most important to me such as screen size (thank goodness its only 5.7 inches), S800 processor, dimensions of the phone (thinner, slightly less wide, lighter  :tu:).  

I am totally sold on the Note 3.  I just need to see Sprint confirm that it will be triband via FCC docs.  Of course the livestream wouldn't confirm triband since that only applies to one carrier but I fully expect it to be.

we already have a 5 inch screen with 1080p res and 13mp camera its called the s4 the s800 is able to go upto 32mega pixels on the camera and 4k res on the screen to me .75 inches is not worth the extra 200 dollar price tag they are sure to put on the note 3 as compared to the s4  don't get me wrong its a great phone but the specs on it are 6 months old if you want a flagship phone you need to be thinking ahead of the curve we all know the s800 processor won't be around next year they will have something that is bigger and better so why not push the limits of what that processor can do now so when you have the bigger and better ones next year you can push the limits even more 13mp is great improvment over last sept but 13mp phones have been out for the last 6 or 7 months now if they are going to give it the specs of may's phones then they need to release it with the rest of their phones not at the end of the year with basically the same specs 

we already have a 5 inch screen with 1080p res and 13mp camera its called the s4 the s800 is able to go upto 32mega pixels on the camera and 4k res on the screen to me .75 inches is not worth the extra 200 dollar price tag they are sure to put on the note 3 as compared to the s4  

Extra 200 dollar price tag?

Extra 200 dollar price tag?

note 2 and s3 when they came out.the note was about 299 with contract if i remember right where as the s3 was around 150 then went to 99 on sale and the note 2 is still 250 for the upgrade 150 if you port a number over if you look at the s4 right now you can get it for 200 dollars and i fully expect the note 3 to have a price tag of around 350 with number port and  contract 450 upgrade 

Not at all. Inclusion of SVLTE is not a selling point to average consumers. Omission of simultaneous voice and data, though, is an unsettling surprise for almost any subs who come over from AT&T or T-Mobile at this point.

AJ

That's sort of a contradictory post. It's not a selling point, but it's unsettling when they find they don't have it? It seems to me Sprint employees would just have to say "all these new phones can access our entire network, but only this one allows you to talk and surf at the same time, just like your current phone/carrier." I think it would become a selling point then.

note 2 and s3 when they came out.the note was about 299 with contract if i remember right where as the s3 was around 150 then went to 99 on sale and the note 2 is still 250 for the upgrade 150 if you port a number over if you look at the s4 right now you can get it for 200 dollars and i fully expect the note 3 to have a price tag of around 350 with number port and contract 450 upgrade

The s3 was 199 when it came out and the note 2 was 299. You cant combine new customer discounts as part of the reason why its 200 cheaper. The s4 was 249 wen it came out. No ifs ands or buts about it. U have to assume current sprint customer pricing to be fair because in reality u are a current sprint customer ans the new customer pricing doesnt apply to u anyways. Also who knows if sprint wont offer a promo for the note 3 and i doubt sprint will try to push that 349 with 2 yr contract price. Sprint will try to keep it at 299 especially if the other carriers keep it at 299.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

The s3 was 199 when it came out and the note 2 was 299. You cant combine new customer discounts as part of the reason why its 200 cheaper. The s4 was 249 wen it came out. No ifs ands or buts about it. U have to assume current sprint customer pricing to be fair because in reality u are a current sprint customer ans the new customer pricing doesnt apply to u anyways. Also who knows if sprint wont offer a promo for the note 3 and i doubt sprint will try to push that 349 with 2 yr contract price. Sprint will try to keep it at 299 especially if the other carriers keep it at 299.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

yeah lets hope they don't go too high on their price it just seemed like the note 2 didn't have any extra sales where as the s3 and s4 do like the buy one get one free when the s4 came out note 2 didn't have that same promo 

we already have a 5 inch screen with 1080p res and 13mp camera its called the s4 the s800 is able to go upto 32mega pixels on the camera and 4k res on the screen to me .75 inches is not worth the extra 200 dollar price tag they are sure to put on the note 3 as compared to the s4  don't get me wrong its a great phone but the specs on it are 6 months old if you want a flagship phone you need to be thinking ahead of the curve we all know the s800 processor won't be around next year they will have something that is bigger and better so why not push the limits of what that processor can do now so when you have the bigger and better ones next year you can push the limits even more 13mp is great improvment over last sept but 13mp phones have been out for the last 6 or 7 months now if they are going to give it the specs of may's phones then they need to release it with the rest of their phones not at the end of the year with basically the same specs 

The specs are not 6 months old.  A 1080p screen is not out of date.  The heart of the Note 3 is a S800 chip which is not what the S4 has which has a S600 chip and just came out in June.  While the Note 3 and GS4 do share some of the features such as IR blaster, 1080p screen, 13 MP camera, and the shape is somewhat like the GS4, the Note 3 does have plenty of features that differentiate itself from the GS4.  I don't see any problem with reusing the same 13 MP camera as the GS4.  I said before that more megapixels are useless.  What is that going to do for you?  If Samsung came out with a 16 MP camera instead of a 13 MP camera would that be future proof enough for you?  I highly doubt that extra 3 MP would do much difference.  Id rather have an improved camera sensor that can provide mega zoom instead of more megapixels.  This is why I think you still need a point n shoot or digital SLR camera because the camera phones just can't do that crazy zoom that I would want.

In terms of what is new on the Note 3 like I said above it has the S800 chip.  In addition the back cover is faux leather and not the cheap plastic like in the GS4, the speaker grill is on the bottom of the phone instead of the back on the GS4, it uses a USB 3.0 charging port (first of any flagship smartphone that I have seen) instead of USB 2.0 port in the GS4 and every other current flagship phone, 3 GB RAM vs. 2 GB RAM in GS4, etc.  

What else do you expect?  The GS3 and Note 2 were pretty similar in terms of specs so I don't know what expectations you were looking for in the Note 3.  Really what you should care about is the improved processor in the S800 instead of the 6 month old 13 MP camera sensor which is awesome already.

That's sort of a contradictory post. It's not a selling point, but it's unsettling when they find they don't have it? It seems to me Sprint employees would just have to say "all these new phones can access our entire network, but only this one allows you to talk and surf at the same time, just like your current phone/carrier." I think it would become a selling point then.

You assume too much intelligence and benevolence among Sprint sales staff.  Yes, here at S4GRU, we have some great front line sales and tech support Sprint staffers -- they are knowledgeable about and interested in what they do.  But they are the exception rather than the rule.  Like it or not, most wireless front line staff seem not the sharpest tools in the shed and/or disinterested in their jobs.

Now, combine that employee lassitude with consumer ignorance, and you have got a real challenge.  Honestly, most consumers are stupid about most things.  What percentage do you think already understand or could quickly comprehend why simultaneous voice works when on a Wi-Fi or WiMAX data connection but not on a CDMA2000 or LTE connection?

Therein lie several problems with your "selling point"...

AJ

Here you go, what you have all been awaiting.  The FCC OET just released the authorization docs for the Galaxy Note 3:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=661028&fcc_id=A3LSMN900

Yeah, the international version!

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Here you go, what you have all been awaiting.  The FCC OET just released the authorization docs for the Galaxy Note 3 -- yeah, the international version!

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=661028&fcc_id=A3LSMN900

:P

AJ

Haha dammit.  The international version.  This don't help us.

Haha dammit.  The international version.  This don't help us.

Well, it was divulged today, even after I checked just a few hours ago.

AJ

Darn you AJ, screwing with our emotions! I knew something was up when I saw the line breaks, but I still had hope!

Look on the bright side, the international version has no LTE.  At the very least, the Sprint variant will beat that by one band.

AJ

• Like 3