Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

My favorite part is the me part.   ;)

• Like 14

My favorite part is the me part.   ;)

It's like Marcelo has been reading this forum, and took the advice you posted a while back with all the bullet points outlining what sprint should do next. So far it's done 2 of those bullets, if I remember correctly. Increase the priority of b41, and accelerate and deploy b26 immediately! Next is backhaul to all remaining sites, and more. 

• Like 1

It's like Marcelo has been reading this forum, and took the advice you posted a while back with all the bullet points outlining what sprint should do next. So far it's done 2 of those bullets, if I remember correctly. Increase the priority of b41, and accelerate and deploy b26 immediately! Next is backhaul to all remaining sites, and more. 

Hey, I'd love it if he was.  And if he is, I'm willing to run your network deployment teams, Marcelo.  It's what I do in another industry.  Just sayin'.   :wavey: 

Robert

P.S. Marcelo, please make a S4GRU donation on your next visit.  Our funds are getting tight.  :)

• Like 19

I wonder if they will get rid of the internet backbone business...is that one of the business lines they will get rid of?

I think that would be a mistake. Other major national and international carriers are moving towards vertical consolidation with wireless, wireline/cable and content providers. If anything, Sprint should look to combining with Centurylink/L3C, etc.(whoever has minimum overlap with Sprint) or one of the cable companies.

If you want to be a big player, you have to play big games.

Edit: Above is in addition to acquiring US Cellular and other rural roaming partners.

Edited by CaptainSlow
  • Like 3

I know this may not be the best thread to post this, but any guesses as to which Tier-1, and now non-Tier-1, carrier is pursuing FreedomPop?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/freedompop-confirms-ma-talks-second-telecom-company/2014-09-12

Reading the article, the Teir-1 carrier sounds like T-Mobile.

As for the non-Teir -1 carrier, I have no idea

Reading the article, the Teir-1 carrier sounds like T-Mobile.

As for the non-Teir -1 carrier, I have no idea

Any reason why you think the Tier-1 carrier is T-Mobile and not Sprint, or one of the duopoly? The CEO mentioned a 9-figure valuation - that's at least a billion dollars. Wonder if T-Mobile would be willing to spend that much on acquisitions instead of on spectrum and rural LTE upgrades. Maybe just a controlling stake.

I'm more curious about the other telecom company, seeing how he didn't say "carrier". Who would see FreedomPop's business model as central to their growth? Tracfone?

Any reason why you think the Tier-1 carrier is T-Mobile and not Sprint, or one of the duopoly? The CEO mentioned a 9-figure valuation - that's at least a billion dollars. Wonder if T-Mobile would be willing to spend that much on acquisitions instead of on spectrum and rural LTE upgrades. Maybe just a controlling stake.

I'm more curious about the other telecom company, seeing how he didn't say "carrier". Who would see FreedomPop's business model as central to their growth? Tracfone?

I could {and probably am}, completely wrong, but just the comments by the CEO sounded like he was referring to T-Mobile.

I actually hope that you are right, that it is Sprint. I would love to see Sprint acquire FreedomPop and US Cellular.

I'm hoping for the opposite.

FreedomPop seems way overvalued. It's an expensive distraction.

Have Sprint use it's money for new cell sites, Band 41, and purchasing US Cellular, and things of that nature.

Let AT&T or Verizon waste money buying another MVNO.

Disclaimer: I am long on Sprint, but only by a trivial amount.

• Like 4

Interesting.... Son said he wanted to dominate the world...

America Movil contacts AT&T, Softbank on bids for assets : Bloomberg

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCAKBN0HA20G20140915

It may be useful, but I'd rather see $17 Billion spent on buying smaller carriers in the U.S. to boost coverage. I care more about domestic coverage than international.

• Like 5

It may be useful, but I'd rather see $17 Billion spent on buying smaller carriers in the U.S. to boost coverage. I care more about domestic coverage than international.

Yes, Yes.  Why invest in the cesspool called Mexico????   Who needs that?

• Like 2

I'm hoping for the opposite.

FreedomPop seems way overvalued. It's an expensive distraction.

Have Sprint use it's money for new cell sites, Band 41, and purchasing US Cellular, and things of that nature.

Let AT&T or Verizon waste money buying another MVNO.

Disclaimer: I am long on Sprint, but only by a trivial amount.

Yeah, still not sure why everyone values Freedompop so high. They offer service to the most subprime consumerbase possible, don't they? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, Yes.  Why invest in the cesspool called Mexico????   Who needs that?

Developing, non-mature market with millions of potential customers, plus opportunities for a US carrier to create some plans that could potentially attract millions of Mexican-American customers away from non-Sprint MVNOs with robust cross-border roaming and/or family plans at a better value proposition.

Carlos Slim made his billions off his dominant position in Mexican telecoms; a savvy businessman like Son could come in, make millions, and help out his US property at the same time. There's far more synergy for a Sprint hookup with América Móvil's divested assets than there is for Sprint-Softbank from a pure crossover market perspective (outside of the Japanese tourist market in Hawaii, there's just no mass market for crossover services, while millions of people cross the US-Mexican border weekly).

• Like 10

This must have been one those "nice to haves" that Claure was mentioning last week. 

• Like 1

I would consider the corporate jet fleet that Marcelo said he got rid of as a 'nice to have'.

For a data-driven future, I'd want to have owner's economics on the underlying pipes. Just recently I read about Sprint and Softbank being out there acquiring business customers in Japan to leverage Sprint's global Tier-1 backbone, something Softbank couldn't do on its own in the past.

• Like 2