Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

This is something I have been quietly advocating, especially in the IBEZ, where possible. I think AT&T should do it too. I would. And then I would CA the one B26 and one B12 carrier together in the markets where you have both. Then you could have some 10MHz low frequency action.

And even if you don't come up with it in a lot of markets, make Tmo pay more by having to compete with someone for that spectrum!!!

Robert

That will be a great Idea. I wonder if sprint will use CA with 600Mhz and band 26.

Random but can they aggregate band 26 and band 25?

That will be a great Idea. I wonder if sprint will use CA with 600Mhz and band 26.

They could with inter-band CA.

EDIT: I have no idea if they equipment currently deployed is capable of inter-band CA. Obviously there are no devices able to do this currently.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

They could with inter-band CA.

EDIT: I have no idea if they equipment currently deployed is capable of inter-band CA. Obviously there are no devices able to do this currently.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I don't think so either. All we heard was CA within the 2.5 spectrum.

If they end up with just 5x5 pieces of 600MHz, I would expect them to CA with B26.

Doing CA with B25+B26 is not a good idea. Since B26 covers so many more customers, it will be overwhelmed to add some of those people who are already within B25 coverage over on to B26 too. B26 needs to be preserved for people outside usable B25 range, or extra capacity only when other bands are full and B26 has lots of spare room.

Also, B26 users would only get the boost when they are also in range of B25. So that negates the whole advantage. It would only 'feel' like 10MHz inside the B25 areas. Not inside buildings and outside B25 coverage. And then you reduced B26 performance when you were in areas with no B25 coverage. It's just a bad idea in Sprint's case.

I would advocate for Sprint to consider intra band CA for Band 25 carriers, though. In markets where they have two B25 carriers, aggregate them. It would not be much of a leap to get OEM's to add B25 CA with their upcoming B41 CA devices.

Besides, the relief for B25 really is another B25 carrier or B41, not B26. Once B41 is common in the next 12-18 months, B25 is just going to get less and less common. If you think about it, a full Triband site would have B41 in the inner 1/2 of a cell, B25 in just the 1/8-1/4 ring outside B41, and B26 everything outside that. B25's usable geographic area will be going way down after B41 starts doing the heavy lifting.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Re: Apple and B41, they have B26, B25 and B13, which are all single-carrier bands. Phone tech has advanced a bit singe the 5s/5c so they can probably add another band in there. I'd say that the Nexus 5 already has this but it's missing B13.

Hopefully these big price drops will end up with at least unlimited talk/text with 3GB tether-able web for $50/mo. I can dream about them having unlimited at that price since I could get exactly that with Voyager Mobile but Voyager has no way of doing tethering, and I'm sure no roaming.

Whatever the price drops end up being, looking forward to moving off of my SERO-P plan and onto something that won't have folks looking askance at me every time I mention the plan I have :P

If they end up with just 5x5 pieces of 600MHz, I would expect them to CA with B26.

Doing CA with B25+B26 is not a good idea. Since B26 covers so many more customers, it will be overwhelmed to add some of those people who are already within B25 coverage over on to B26 too. B26 needs to be preserved for people outside usable B25 range, or extra capacity only when other bands are full and B26 has lots of spare room.

Also, B26 users would only get the boost when they are also in range of B25. So that negates the whole advantage. It would only 'feel' like 10MHz inside the B25 areas. Not inside buildings and outside B25 coverage. And then you reduced B26 performance when you were in areas with no B25 coverage. It's just a bad idea in Sprint's case.

I would advocate for Sprint to consider intra band CA for Band 25 carriers, though. In markets where they have two B25 carriers, aggregate them. It would not be much of a leap to get OEM's to add B25 CA with their upcoming B41 CA devices.

Besides, the relief for B25 really is another B25 carrier or B41, not B26. Once B41 is common in the next 12-18 months, B25 is just going to get less and less common. If you think about it, a full Triband site would have B41 in the inner 1/2 of a cell, B25 in just the 1/8-1/4 ring outside B41, and B26 everything outside that. B25's usable geographic area will be going way down after B41 starts doing the heavy lifting.

Very good points. I really hope they can get 10 X 10 600mhz. How will sprint and Softbank be able to obtain this?

I'm not familiar on how wireless auctions work.

Re: Apple and B41, they have B26, B25 and B13, which are all single-carrier bands. Phone tech has advanced a bit singe the 5s/5c so they can probably add another band in there. I'd say that the Nexus 5 already has this but it's missing B13.

Hopefully these big price drops will end up with at least unlimited talk/text with 3GB tether-able web for $50/mo. I can dream about them having unlimited at that price since I could get exactly that with Voyager Mobile but Voyager has no way of doing tethering, and I'm sure no roaming.

Whatever the price drops end up being, looking forward to moving off of my SERO-P plan and onto something that won't have folks looking askance at me every time I mention the plan I have :P

Yes I hope these plans include tethering! That would entice some people to switch

I just tweeted @marceloclaure, welcoming him from S4GRU members. I then asked him about doing B25 CA in markets with 2 LTE carriers.

• Like 16

I really hope they can get 10 X 10 600mhz. How will sprint and Softbank be able to obtain this?

I'm not familiar on how wireless auctions work.

By outbidding everyone else in every market they want to obtain it.

• Like 1

I wonder if he will respond..... O.o

I don't know. The chances are much higher than in the past. He seems to be more connected to social media. And if he is going to be competing with Tmo, connecting to Twitter will be important. We will see.

• Like 1

I don't know. The chances are much higher than in the past. He seems to be more connected to social media. And if he is going to be competing with Tmo, connecting to Twitter will be important. We will see.

It would pick up a bunch of press.

I just tweeted @marceloclaure, welcoming him from S4GRU members. I then asked him about doing B25 CA in markets with 2 LTE carriers.

I'm surprised they haven't done that yet. That will give the maximum Download speeds to about 74 Mbps second?

I'm surprised they haven't done that yet. That will give the maximum Download speeds to about 74 Mbps second?

Well, there are no CA devices yet for Sprint, either. But if they added B25 CA with the upcoming B41 CA devices, there's a good time to add it. Yes, peak performance of two bonded 5MHz channels with 2x MIMO to both carriers would be ~75Mbps DL in a perfect scenario.

But it would theoretically double PCS LTE speeds everywhere in use. So in places where two B25 5MHz carriers are deployed, and they are averaging 5-8Mbps, speeds would be roughly 10-14Mbps with CA. That's worth it.

• Like 1

circling back to the emphasis on Apple...

What if Marcelo and Son were able to get Apple (and IBM, as IBM and Apple are now in a huge partnership for business) to bring or add Sprint into a new iPad that has Spark in it.  AND Apple/IBM can market free data to those new business customers...

would sort of tie into place with how Sprint said its getting back into Business more???

My guess? Claure on his hands and kbees begging for band 41 in new Apple products. Lol....of course, a little late for that and probably already done anyway. So I'm with you...very curious.

The new phone is set at this point. He wasn't begging for anything. If I had some one to bet with I would be all new Apple prpoducts have band 41.

• Like 1

The new phone is set at this point. He wasn't begging for anything. If I had some one to bet with I would be all new Apple prpoducts have band 41.

The new iPhone is likely already coming off assembly lines at full steam. You're absolutely right it is way too late to add bands now. It's either in or it's not. I don't see Marcelo begging anyone for anything. Persuading or convincing, perhaps. Whatever he's cooking up with Apple is completely different than B41 capability.

• Like 6

The new iPhone is likely already coming off assembly lines at full steam. You're absolutely right it is way too late to add bands now. It's either in or it's not. I don't see Marcelo begging anyone for anything. Persuading or convincing, perhaps. Whatever he's cooking up with Apple is completely different than B41 capability.

I wonder if it could be a partnership to add b41 to apples wifi devices (air ports). It would be a great entry into fixes wireless.

There is no Mark up on Apple products (for att at least) and an average of 20-50 dollars on android phones. The manufacturers capture nearly all the profits off handsets.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-cost-what-apple-is-paying/ 

39.6% margin, with iPhone likely 49-58% according to Reuters

around $294 profit

No reason for Androids to be that much different with the exception that with Android the device makers probably don't keep as much of the profit, Samsung I believe is at $100 for the Galasy 4/5

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-cost-what-apple-is-paying/

39.6% margin, with iPhone likely 49-58% according to Reuters

around $294 profit

No reason for Androids to be that much different with the exception that with Android the device makers probably don't keep as much of the profit, Samsung I believe is at $100 for the Galasy 4/5

For the manufacturer not the carriers. The carriers buy the phone from the manufacturer and the manufacturer captures the profits.

• Like 3