Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Although last week, I briefly touched upon that Softbank, Brightstar could possibly expand into South America and Europe since the T-Mobile deal fell through, this article brings up an interesting point about that Hispanic market. 

“So here’s this burgeoning market, $1.4 trillions worth of purchasing power ... Suffice it to say, you’ve got this amazing market that skews younger by 10 years, that’s growing in terms of earning power and purchasing power at a rate twice what the general market is growing,” Palomarez said. “So while the rest of the market is graying, this market is coming into its own and you have at the helm at the third largest telecomm company in the country a Latino who understands that dynamic."

Palomarez is the President of the U.S Hispanic Chambers of Commerce (which Claure is a member of). The article notes the is also an ex Sprint employee in marketing and sales. 

I can see Claure doing Spanish TV Ads.

• Like 1

You know. Something we haven't really discussed is SoftBank/Sprint/Brightstar. What was Son's reasoning for buying Sprint? Economies of scale. Brightstar was the other half of that. Could the price war that Marcelo is about to start include Cheaper pricing on all devices, including Flagships?

• Like 10

You know. Something we haven't really discussed is SoftBank/Sprint/Brightstar. What was Son's reasoning for buying Sprint? Economies of scale. Brightstar was the other half of that. Could the price war that Marcelo is about to start include Cheaper pricing on all devices, including Flagships?

That really would be disruptive. 

but can it scale -- esp with the new unlocking law (not that you can use it on TMO or ATT...) 

interesting thought.  

I have a feeling it will be a mild disappointment.  

Raising money to acquire a small carrier?  US Cellular worth more than 3.9 billion?  

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article1246873.html

I don't think so....Last line in the article...Would be nice though...

"The cash raising isn’t to finance specific mergers and acquisitions, she said."

Raising money to acquire a small carrier? US Cellular worth more than 3.9 billion?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article1246873.html

Possibly, pay off some debt because they want to do something else..

The last line almost makes me think they don't want to tip off anyone so deny it.. Maybe getting ready to swap/buy some spectrum from someone or go after us cellular?

Possibly, pay off some debt because they want to do something else..

The last line almost makes me think they don't want to tip off anyone so deny it.. Maybe getting ready to swap/buy some spectrum from someone or go after us cellular?

As someone who lives in a USC area with LTE, and a sprint area with no LTE..lets hope USC is in their cross hairs.

Although i really doubt its going to happen. 

As someone who lives in a USC area with LTE, and a sprint area with no LTE..lets hope USC is in their cross hairs.

Although i really doubt its going to happen.

That would be one way of keeping 3rd place!

UCLA, Oregon, and Stanford have USC in their crosshairs.

AJ

• Like 2

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/softbank-picks-sharp-as-partner-for-low-cost-smartphones-1408357352?mobile=y&mg=reno64-wsj

"TOKYO—SoftBank Corp. gave a glimpse of its plans to tackle the U.S. cellphone market, unveiling a deal to develop low-cost smartphones for its Sprint Corp. unit and a new service that would allow unlimited downloads from select applications.
SoftBank said Monday that together with fellow Japanese company Sharp Corp. it has developed a smartphone with near-frameless displays that it plans to sell through Sprint. It also introduced App Pass, a service that it plans to launch later this month, which will have a lineup of 100 applications as diverse as games, recipes and free access to news.

. . .

• Like 1

I would love it if Sprint expanded its native corporate coverage. I'm just not convinced that's their plan yet.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Maybe EVDO roaming. That could fulfill his promise illiterately. And I know that's not what he intended for 

I liked this part:

At the time that SoftBank abandoned its bid for T-Mobile, the company was looking at more than a dozen other acquisition targets, people close to SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son have said.
  • Like 4