Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Too funny in the twitter replies ... Sounds like John have people coming for him about his own coverage and how it's not so golden as he portrays it to be

About time!

yryhasy9.jpg

That was a rumor for the merged company for tmobile and dish. I honestly don't seem them changing name.

I think Marcelo is meeting with DISH too in order not to let TMO/DISH merger happen.

And DISH actually has more upside if they merge with Sprint.

• Like 2

I think Marcelo is meeting with DISH too in order not to let TMO/DISH merger happen.

If that merger happens and I can drop my Cable subscription in favor of DISH streaming to my devices, I'd be so happy. I think we're paying something stupid like $125/mo for 200 channels that I don't watch. Let me go a la carte, let me cut the cord, and let me just sling my shows over to my AppleTV/Chromecast via your dumb data pipe.

• Like 1

This guy is about making moves and wasting no time doing so. I'm liking this guy by the day. I wonder what the meeting with apple was about concerning sprint???

IIRC, Sprint has a contract with Apple to purchase a certain amount of iPhones due to its smaller subscriber numbers and specialized network bands (?) (how'd T-mobile get the iPhone without resorting to a contract?). Perhaps, he's in contract renewal talks -- at least, Sprint can leverage Softbank's user base for extra buying power. Might be wise considering Sprint's subscribers numbers are dropping - just to minimize the amount of defections and keep Sprint out of a tailspin. On the downside, Sprint would have less $$$ for network buildouts.

Interesting tweet from Walt Piecyk: https://twitter.com/WaltBTIG/status/500020835516940288

I believe someone on here suggested a similar tactic.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Sprint doesn't need to buy 700 mhz-A. AT&T is the only other major owner of 700 mhz-A, iirc. They're gobbling up as much spectrum  they can.

I'm reading the tea leafs and well what do you folks think of this wild and crazy idea....

OK so in the leaked info Marcelo said on his first day he met with Apple.  The more realistic angle is maybe Sprint never paid for its last promise when Sprint 1st nabbed the iPhone (I can't believe that is true but...) or maybe Sprint will do the same deal again with the iPhone "6" to secure supply!?

OR

Why would Apple's CEO meat with Sprint?  What if Charlie and Marcelo have a plan to merge AND with the issues Apple is having with Comcast on its rummored AppleTV... maybe the Duo got Tim to meet as they had a plan to bring AppleTV to the majority of the US Market where as Comcast only reaches what a 1/3?  

okay like I said its one of my way out there ideas....

• Like 1

Interesting tweet from Walt Piecyk: https://twitter.com/WaltBTIG/status/500020835516940288

I believe someone on here suggested a similar tactic.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This is something I have been quietly advocating, especially in the IBEZ, where possible.  I think AT&T should do it too.  I would.  And then I would CA the one B26 and one B12 carrier together in the markets where you have both.  Then you could have some 10MHz low frequency action.

And even if you don't come up with it in a lot of markets, make Tmo pay more by having to compete with someone for that spectrum!!!

Robert

• Like 3

If that merger happens and I can drop my Cable subscription in favor of DISH streaming to my devices, I'd be so happy. I think we're paying something stupid like $125/mo for 200 channels that I don't watch. Let me go a la carte, let me cut the cord, and let me just sling my shows over to my AppleTV/Chromecast via your dumb data pipe.

Well, those market leaders in TV content distribution business (like COMCAST / ATT / VZ / DTV) actually do benefit from selling 200 channels which you may be interested in 10~20 only. Think about it, if you can choose which one to watch and pay for this only, it will weaken the power of those companies and make them become a transit pipe only. You and the content maker will have the upper hands. And content makers will even have the power to make money and choose commercials. So those old forces won't allow this happen easily.

Google and Apple, well include NETFLIX see this issue for a long long time. But all those parties in this game are beneficiaries including fox/nbc/abc and comcast/att/vz/dtv. Combined all of them, the power is too big for even google to challenge. You need some kind of monster alliance like GOOGLE/APPLE/SOFTBANK/NETFLIX/DISH to make it happen.

• Like 2

"Sprint is a pile of spectrum waiting to be turned into a capability"

But he thinks that he is the only one that could turn that spectrum into capability. How arrogant.

I'm reading the tea leafs and well what do you folks think of this wild and crazy idea....

OK so in the leaked info Marcelo said on his first day he met with Apple.  The more realistic angle is maybe Sprint never paid for its last promise when Sprint 1st nabbed the iPhone (I can't believe that is true but...) or maybe Sprint will do the same deal again with the iPhone "6" to secure supply!?

OR

Why would Apple's CEO meat with Sprint?  What if Charlie and Marcelo have a plan to merge AND with the issues Apple is having with Comcast on its rummored AppleTV... maybe the Duo got Tim to meet as they had a plan to bring AppleTV to the majority of the US Market where as Comcast only reaches what a 1/3?  

okay like I said its one of my way out there ideas....

It's easy for Tim to understand a strong Sprint or a more balanced market with all carriers dividing the market evenly will give the best interest to APPLE.

If Sprint and TMOBLE are going to get weaker down the road, ATT/VZ will have more and more negotiation power over APPLE. Why APPLE will like this to happen?

I think Marcelo is going to persuade Tim to add in carrier aggregation into the iphone next to the upcoming Iphone6. So next year the iPhone6S will have the capability to reach more than 100mb/s speed. Also the upcoming IPAD will have spark radios.

The B41 in iPhone6 is a done deal. I don't think we will find out iPhone6 coming without B41.

But he thinks that he is the only one that could turn that spectrum into capability. How arrogant.

Usually we need a bad a.s CEO who is arrogant and confident for a company like Sprint for now.

Usually we need a bad a.s CEO who is arrogant and confident for a company like Sprint for now.

If I am John Legere or Marcelo Clare I'm more concerned with the company I am running than blasting my mouth on Twitter.

• Like 4

Id hope that - that would be part of the changes.

But id totally understand why he wouldn't. Better to deliver it rather than talk about it.

I'm sure it is. Claure is all about under promising and over delivering which sprint needs. I think they will roll out spark aggressive but keep time lines and launch dates etc silent. I read (can't find the source) the network vision 1.0 is set to be completed by 1Q 2015. If they can have 2.5 cover 200 million POPS by mid year next year that would be great.

• Like 2

I wonder how aggressive Marcelo's and Masa's Spark rollout plan will be. Hmmm

There is a fairly large fallacy here that Spark was going slow and or it can be sped up. Sprint has been deploying 8T8R equipment so rapidly that the NV 2.0 vendors are having a hard time keeping up with supplying equipment.

• Like 6

There is a fairly large fallacy here that Spark was going slow and or it can be sped up. Sprint has been deploying 8T8R equipment so rapidly that the NV 2.0 vendors are having a hard time keeping up with supplying equipment.

Not anymore. Supply has stabilized. Full speed ahead in almost all markets now for the macro overlay and small cells 1900mhz + 2500mhz by Samsung and Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent are being field tested now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 12

It seems that NII Holdings, the international operations of Nextel, are about into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I guess there is no money in PTT anymore. Will Softbank be interested? Maybe it will help with IBEZ rebanding.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20140814/americas/latam-nii-holdings-likely-file-bankruptcy-telecom-italia-gvt-counterbid-tag5

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

This guy is about making moves and wasting no time doing so. I'm liking this guy by the day. I wonder what the meeting with apple was about concerning sprint???

My guess? Claure on his hands and kbees begging for band 41 in new Apple products. Lol....of course, a little late for that and probably already done anyway. So I'm with you...very curious.

My guess? Claure on his hands and kbees begging for band 41 in new Apple products. Lol....of course, a little late for that and probably already done anyway. So I'm with you...very curious.

I'm thinking more like exclusive upgrade packages for customers to get them onto spark. And/or packages for the iWatch and iPhone. we really can never know with apple, but whatever it is, I look forward to it.

• Like 1

I'm thinking more like exclusive upgrade packages for customers to get them onto spark. And/or packages for the iWatch and iPhone. we really can never know with apple, but whatever it is, I look forward to it.

I don't think that Apple would play favorites with any carrier - it would set an awful precedent. I could, however, see Claure asking Tim Cook if it was ok for Sprint to market around buying people out of their older iPhones that are still on contract to make them upgrade eligible. Apple already has their pile of cash from the Carriers, who have to agree to purchase X number of iPhones per year...

• Like 2

I don't think that Apple would play favorites with any carrier - it would set an awful precedent. I could, however, see Claure asking Tim Cook if it was ok for Sprint to market around buying people out of their older iPhones that are still on contract to make them upgrade eligible. Apple already has their pile of cash from the Carriers, who have to agree to purchase X number of iPhones per year...

I dont think apple really cares about end users contact length. As long as phones are sold.

Im still fixated on this being a dish/apple tv gig.