SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

So there was something fishy going on with my signal for the past five days. I've been roaming, dropping calls and signal check has been showing "ev-do: -?#!"

Haha, that display comes up when your phone is reporting a signal stronger than -40 dBm. Obviously there is an issue with your site though.

-Mike

Tapatalk doesn't let me edit my posts, it just sits there. I don't use the new one though, hate the layout with all the wasted space on the left and a couple of the features they removed.

I used to be able to edit posts with Tapatalk, but it stopped working a couple of weeks ago for me as well. I also use the older version.. I bought the newer one, but I don't like it as much.

-Mike

This may be more feasible with the new location APIs in the Google Play Services framework; they use a lot less power than the traditional API does.

FYI.. any GPS features that I implement in SignalCheck will use these new location APIs. They are far more efficient and use a fraction of the power the original methods did. I'm still learning how to use them, but that will be the route I take. This is a very positive and useful step that Google took, unlike some of the other recent Android changes..

-Mike

• Like 4

Editing in Tapatalk works for me. But sometimes it will remove all my hard returns and turn my whole post into one gigantic paragraph.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Awesome idea the split screen totally forgot about that feature.  Googled how to get split screen working.

Split screen is awesome for google maps and marking exactly where you were while LTE hunting.

SPLITSCREEN.png

You just don't like change do you?

:P

I actually like the new one.

See what I'm talking about with wasted space?  They put a margin on the right and left a huge gap on the left when they could have bumped it down a bit and let it fill the whole screen.  You can read so much more on the one on the left.  If they fixed that I could get around some of the other weird changes they did.  I just feel like I'm reading in tunnel vision with the one on the right.  Like watching a video from someone that has Vertical Video Syndrome.

OLDTAPA.png    NEWTAPA.png

• Like 1

I just use the mobile site.  Actually works pretty well for me.

Do you guys have such bad eyesight?  Just do what I do -- use the full site.  

AJ

• Like 1

Probably the same color blind guys near my area that did an install. ;)

Just an update, they fixed that tower that was screwy. I guess at least someone here has their GED. Not sure why signal check would see my signal past the limit before, but now I am between - 79 dBm and - 103 dBm, kinda just jumping around now.

SignalCheck Lite (the freebie) has been updated to the latest version, 4.09L, on Google Play! It includes the pertinent updates that SignalCheck Pro received last week (see here for details on that update: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/?p=189111).

Guess I need to start working on the next version now...

-Mike

• Like 1

I've busted the pattern on the PCS BID's as well and then even reverse engineered that back to another set of data I had on sites and it matches up with their internal IDs as well (hard to explain).

How much would it cost to get that mikejeep guy to put the HEX version of the BID next to it on the app?  ;)  Maybe a PRO feature you enable?   Would be nice to see the HEX conversion of the number in a glance.  Currently it says BID: 11393, make it show BID: 11393-2C81 if the feature was turned on.

Let's take this to your thread on further SignalCheck discussions:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/

Oh getting it into the app is a piece of cake.  It shouldn't shuffle the layout around, even on a smaller screen, so I would probably just have it displayed full-time.  The only reason I have the option to hide the EV-DO sector ID is because it's huge and someone who doesn't care about it might rather have the display remain cleaner.

How about something like "BID: 11393 (2C81)".. I think a majority of people will still refer to the decimal version, and I wan't to keep that distinct.  If I put a dash, people will probably start doing math on the thing...

Thoughts/comments from the peanut gallery?  I don't think this will be of much use in my specific area but who knows, maybe it will start pointing to some sort of pattern...

Another question for the masses: Anyone getting a "Network failure" toast in Google Maps when viewing a BSL, and no street address appearing at the bottom of Maps?  That just started for me, and it's annoying...

-Mike

Is there any way to see what frequency the 1X connection is on when roaming, or does it do that already?  I know it will show 1x 800 when connecting to a Sprint 800 site, but does it do that if you happen to roam on, say, VZW 800?

Is there any way to see what frequency the 1X connection is on when roaming, or does it do that already?  I know it will show 1x 800 when connecting to a Sprint 800 site, but does it do that if you happen to roam on, say, VZW 800?

VZW holds no SMR 800 MHz spectrum.

AJ

No.. the 1X 800 indicators/alerts are only for Sprint 800, and they do not actually rely on the frequency itself.  I haven't found a method to pull the frequencies for anything except LTE, and even that is only for HTC devices.

-Mike

How about something like "BID: 11393 (2C81)".. I think a majority of people will still refer to the decimal version, and I wan't to keep that distinct.  If I put a dash, people will probably start doing math on the thing...

Thoughts/comments from the peanut gallery?  I don't think this will be of much use in my specific area but who knows, maybe it will start pointing to some sort of pattern...

That would be perfect! 

Explanation on the PCS BID pattern here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/579-network-vision-site-map-new-orleans-memphis-gulf-coast-east-texas-mississippi-and-louisiana-markets/page-220?p=194877&do=findComment&comment=194877

Combine that with some other data..and bang..  that thing could display the site ID and sector you were connected to ;)  Dreaming....

• Like 4

Another question for the masses: Anyone getting a "Network failure" toast in Google Maps when viewing a BSL, and no street address appearing at the bottom of Maps?  That just started for me, and it's annoying...

-Mike

I've been getting the Network Failure thing every time I click on a BSL, and just the GPS coordinates instead of the address at the bottom of maps.

VZW holds no SMR 800 MHz spectrum.

AJ

Do any of the other providers that Sprint users roam onto have 800 MHz spectrum?  I thought that was part of the reason why they started having CDMA 800/1900 on all of their phones for the past few years.

That would be perfect! 

Explanation on the PCS BID pattern here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/579-network-vision-site-map-new-orleans-memphis-gulf-coast-east-texas-mississippi-and-louisiana-markets/page-220?p=194877&do=findComment&comment=194877

Combine that with some other data..and bang..  that thing could display the site ID and sector you were connected to ;)  Dreaming....

DAMN!  That's an awesome discovery.. I will see what I can do to help things along on my end.  I already have the hex BID running smoothly, all of this stuff is pretty basic coding.  This could be pretty freakin' cool...

-Mike

• Like 4

I've been getting the Network Failure thing every time I click on a BSL, and just the GPS coordinates instead of the address at the bottom of maps.

Yep, me too.  Google Maps must have broken something again.. still works fine on the old version.  Cue digiblur in 3.. 2.. 1..

-Mike

• Like 2

Do any of the other providers that Sprint users roam onto have 800 MHz spectrum?  I thought that was part of the reason why they started having CDMA 800/1900 on all of their phones for the past few years.

No. Verzion's and AT&T's 850 Cellular is often mislabeled as 800 (Apple is a big perpetrator there....).

The reason they've been adding 800 SMR to their phones has been in preparation of the Nextel shutdown and activation of 1x on 800 SMR.

• Like 1

No. Verzion's and AT&T's 850 Cellular is often mislabeled as 800 (Apple is a big perpetrator there....).

The reason they've been adding 800 SMR to their phones has been in preparation of the Nextel shutdown and activation of 1x on 800 SMR.

Oh they've been doing that for quite some time then.

Yep, me too. Google Maps must have broken something again.. still works fine on the old version. Cue digiblur in 3.. 2.. 1..

-Mike

I've noticed some weird things with location and my phone lately. I linked something in the HTC One thread but basically it seems after a couple of hours some apps using location don't seem to work, like Google Now for example. It doesn't seem to use the cell triangulation anymore. When I open Google Maps it says "waiting for location" while it gets a fix instead of giving you the big blue circle based on triangulation, then drilling down. The link I found pinned the problem on the latest Google Play Services version. Here's the link: https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msgid/mobile/354d7def-9502-40e2-9bb9-74b5adc79f65%40googleproductforums.co