SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I stopped using the app for a few weeks and in the intervening weeks went from decks CM10.1 nightly which showed serving cell to decks CM10.2 nightly and now I'm not seeing serving cell or GCI. I'm running 4.14b. Anything you're aware of that might have removed this? Thanks for the great app and all of your hard work.

Hmm.. I didn't touch any of the code that pulls the GCI from the new LTE functions in Android 4.2+, so perhaps it's something in the CM nightly you're running.  I have been trying to take the leap from Sense to CM 10.2 on my EVO this week, but something I'm restoring from my TB backup is causing a bootloop, so I can't tell you if it works for me or not.

I do recall seeing something about the 10.2 releases having a lot of issues, and the consensus seemed to be that deck's 8/24 release was the most stable.  Is that what you are running?

-Mike

• Like 1

I stopped using the app for a few weeks and in the intervening weeks went from decks CM10.1 nightly which showed serving cell to decks CM10.2 nightly and now I'm not seeing serving cell or GCI. I'm running 4.14b. Anything you're aware of that might have removed this? Thanks for the great app and all of your hard work.

Serving cell/PCI/GCI isn't yet in CM 10.2 builds yet. The current patch is http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/48930/ and it works with the public tree (I've been building private ROMs), but GPS is still b0rked on the nightlies.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike and lordsutch. This is a tough one. Decks nightly has been great with zero troubles for me. I'll have to restore a backup. Rats.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

mike, sorry if this was posted and i missed it. where you able to get the EVDO sector ID not updating issue fixed? i was out driving around a little bit ago and as far as i could tell the sector ID was updating as i went from tower to tower. 

Thanks Mike and lordsutch. This is a tough one. Decks nightly has been great with zero troubles for me. I'll have to restore a backup. Rats.

Does GPS work for you on deck's build? If so, that and the patch above should get you the best of everything.

-Mike

mike, sorry if this was posted and i missed it. where you able to get the EVDO sector ID not updating issue fixed? i was out driving around a little bit ago and as far as i could tell the sector ID was updating as i went from tower to tower.

No, I don't think I can do much with that.. the app is pulling the ID the only way I know how to, but for some reason it doesn't always match what is displayed on the engineering screen. They are usually identical, but not always. Based on what I've seen, I would estimate that they match about 80% of the time. There is a delay in updating it sometimes, and I have no idea why.

I don't have any way to know which one is correct; I assume the engineering screen is more accurate, but that is just my own guess.

-Mike

• Like 1

Does GPS work for you on deck's build? If so, that and the patch above should get you the best of everything.

The latest IRC subject build (I think) doesn't use the new HTC One blobs, so even though GPS works on it and CM nightlies of the same vintage, the current cellinfo patch doesn't work.  The older v3 patch would work (you'd lose the PCI, but you would have GCI and TAC), but you'd need to build from source.

If there's interest I can put my ROMs up on Dropbox or a torrent.

• Like 1

The latest IRC subject build (I think) doesn't use the new HTC One blobs, so even though GPS works on it and CM nightlies of the same vintage, the current cellinfo patch doesn't work. The older v3 patch would work (you'd lose the PCI, but you would have GCI and TAC), but you'd need to build from source.

If there's interest I can put my ROMs up on Dropbox or a torrent.

I am interested. I am currently running decks 8/30.

SignalCheck Lite 4.14L has been released on Google Play!  It's a relatively minor update, includes all relevant features that Pro users received in 4.13, but without the bug I introduced and fixed in 4.14. See my earlier post for the changelog: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/?p=199714

It seems like all of the bugs have been squashed (at least for the moment), so I'm working on adding some new features again.. stay tuned.

-Mike

• Like 2

It looks like deck has added what was needed into his 8/30 CM10.2 nightly build.  I see GCI listed!  Yippee.

Screenshot_2013-09-11-19-11-54.png

• Like 2

It's not in yet. You just updated signal check. That's why you see GCI. PCI is still WIP on the evo lte. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Is this going to end up the the CM version for the Note 2 too?

I'm talking to Mike now about why I'm not getting the beta since I'm in the beta group.

I talked to Fubie, but just so everyone else has a heads up -- the relevant code is already in all versions of SignalCheck; its not new or a beta feature. The GCI label was added recently, but its the exact same information that previously appeared in the app under "Serving Cell" or "CID".

You will automatically see the GCI and/or PCI on *any* ROM that reports the information. lordsutch and other CM devs definitely seem to be leading the way on this.. thanks for all of your hard work guys!

-Mike

• Like 4

-Mike

Mike I completely missed your question.  I've run the 8/20 and currently am on the 8/30 nightly build of decks CM10.2 and I have had zero trouble with anything.  LTE, GPS, camera, everything I have used works fine.  I usually do clean installs but I just cleared dalvik and installed 8/30 build over previous and its works great as well.  Pretty amazing.  

• Like 1

Apparently not. All I can tell you is that I am getting GCI and my GPS is working off of decks 8/30 10.2 nightly.

Apparently not. All I can tell you is that I am getting GCI and my GPS is working off of decks 8/30 10.2 nightly.

You can get GCI out of the old HTC blobs used in 8/30. PCI requires the 4.3 blobs from the GSM/LTE HTC One Google Play Edition in 9/1 and later, but that breaks hardware GPS on the Evo. Maybe the blobs from the upcoming CDMA/LTE Sprint HTC One 4.3 release will fix it, maybe we'll need a Evo 4.2/4.3 ROM

• Like 1

Looked back a bit, but I didn't see this brought up.

What does it mean when the BSL is in BOLD as opposed to normal font? Just curious, as there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason as to why it happens.

Think it is bold when it is a new one not from the location cache.

• Like 1

Looked back a bit, but I didn't see this brought up. 

What does it mean when the BSL is in BOLD as opposed to normal font?  Just curious, as there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason as to why it happens.

digiblur helped me out here, he was correct -- bold indicates that it's a "new" BSL -- one that has not previously been saved in the cache.  It's on the 4.09 change log (http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/) but that's it.. maybe someday I will get around to putting reasonable documentation together, but for now the FAQ and change log will have to do :)

-Mike

• Like 1