SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I am probably being way over the line, but any chance to change the format of this to be 0xHHH where zero x is the standard notation of signifying hex values? My reasoning is that as I look at my phones running 4.13 one (on sprint) lists a BID of 385 (181) and the other (on verizon) lists a BID of 1585 (631). It is little hard to tell the second value in parentheses is hex.

Funny, I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out a simple way to indicate the hex value without cluttering up the screen, and couldn't come up with anything.. duh. Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't do this?

-Mike

Funny, I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out a simple way to indicate the hex value without cluttering up the screen, and couldn't come up with anything.. duh. Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't do this?

-Mike

The 0x seems kinda redundant to me. 

Also do we need to clear our cache file for the new version if any are cached incorrectly?  or will the new version maybe detect an older cache file and kill it since it could be wrong?

Also do we need to clear our cache file for the new version if any are cached incorrectly?  or will the new version maybe detect an older cache file and kill it since it could be wrong?

Or simply just the 'x' to have it stand out more that this is a Hex number.    e.g.  1585 (x631).    

I try to look at it from a "lowest common denominator" point of view: those of us who follow this thread know it's the hex value, but just about everyone else probably doesn't.  Throwing the 0x in there provides a hint to the confused user.  It doesn't have to be "0x" if someone can think of a better alternative.  I thought of putting "h" on the end too.. trying to find the cleanest accurate look.

When the cache is created on a device for the first time, the app's version number at the time is captured.  If it's not 4.13 or newer, it deletes it:

...upon installing this version for the first time, your cache will be wiped clean to eliminate any possible entries that were saved incorrectly.

-Mike

I try to look at it from a "lowest common denominator" point of view: those of us who follow this thread know it's the hex value, but just about everyone else probably doesn't. Throwing the 0x in there provides a hint to the confused user. It doesn't have to be "0x" if someone can think of a better alternative. I thought of putting "h" on the end too.. trying to find the cleanest accurate look.

When the cache is created on a device for the first time, the app's version number at the time is captured. If it's not 4.13 or newer, it deletes it:

-Mike

I think the "h"at would help since i remember hex that way. What about e.g. 1585 (x631h) ?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Help, I am now using  an HTC One.  Here is what Signal Check shows when not connected to LTE

5AuoE7Yl.png

The serving cell is correct, but the Carrier changes from

Carrier: Sprint (310120) to

Carrier: Unknown (31000)

Why does the One still show it is connected to LTE? 

When it is connected to LTE the eHRPD shows no connection.

I think the "h"at would help since i remember hex that way. What about e.g. 1585 (x631h) ?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I think this is what the parentheses were for to signify a difference and keep it clean looking though so we wouldn't need a 0x or h or whatever.

Then what do we do about the GCI as it is hex too? Hmmm...

Help, I am now using  an HTC One.  Here is what Signal Check shows when not connected to LTE

5AuoE7Yl.png

Update the app. 

I try to look at it from a "lowest common denominator" point of view: those of us who follow this thread know it's the hex value, but just about everyone else probably doesn't.  Throwing the 0x in there provides a hint to the confused user.  It doesn't have to be "0x" if someone can think of a better alternative.  I thought of putting "h" on the end too.. trying to find the cleanest accurate look.

Why not keep it in parens, as it is now, and put an explanation/definition in the help.  Better not to clutter the screen too much, especially as you are likely to add more stuff as you go along.

• Like 2

5AuoE7Yl.png

Are you sure you are on the latest version of the app?  Also I find it troubling that your phone says that you are connected to "3G " but yet you have LTE information.  Maybe it is "Unknown" since it can't find LTE?

Uh oh, I think I broke something related to EV-DO/LTE signals in the latest update. kckid is not the only one having issues. It is a bug in the app, but it only affects some users. I am not home, but I think I know what the problem is. I will get on it when I get home in a few hours.

-Mike

• Like 4

The other suggestions would work as well. What I was trying to prevent was the LCD user asking why they had two different "numbers". When the value has an a-f in it, it wouldn't confuse the user as much since it is apparent that you don't have two "numbers" there.

WRT: GIC...I don't have a phone that supports that feature so I don't have any comments. :cry:

Whatever is done, maybe the help/glossary file could be updated to include the display units for the different data points.

Uh oh, I think I broke something related to EV-DO/LTE signals in the latest update. kckid is not the only one having issues. It is a bug in the app, but it only affects some users. I am not home, but I think I know what the problem is. I will get on it when I get home in a few hours.

-Mike

Mike,

I don't think it was just the latest version.  This screen shot is from the -1 version.

Thanks for your help. You have an awesome app!!!!

• Like 1

Mike,

I don't think it was just the latest version.  This screen shot is from the -1 version.

Thanks for your help. You have an awesome app!!!!

Wait.. it was from 4.09?  I've been flooded with reports of similar issues with 4.13, but nothing about the version before it.

Now that my trip to the Cheesecake Factory is over and I'm full, I'll be working on a fix.  kckid or any other Pro users who are having issues, I'll be lurking in the lounge if you want to help me out.  All 3 of my devices are working properly so it's tough to troubleshoot.

-Mike

SignalCheck Pro 4.14 has been pushed to Google Play.  The issue with invalid or missing EV-DO and LTE information introduced in the last version has been fixed.. shout out to lilotimz for his troubleshooting help in The Lounge tonight to get this working!

Also, I put 'x' in front of the hex BID for now.  We can continue to discuss it, I'm good with whatever style you guys prefer, including switching it back to nothing at all.  My initial concern was that it was the only unlabeled item on the screen; not specifically concerned that it's hex, just that it's a piece of information without a label.  But the more I think of it, I don't necessarily think it needs to be explained.  You guys tell me what you want.  I don't think it needs to be a preference setting though, so don't go there ;)

-Mike

• Like 5

Since the update i dont get BSL information. Is that a common problem?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Since the update i dont get BSL information. Is that a common problem?

None at all? Or it is stuck on "Click for map..."? If it's stuck, reboot your phone. That's a well-documented Android bug that drives me crazy. Something happens with the geocoding routine and only a restart will resolve it.

One of the goals of implementing the BSL address cache was to make this bug become a non-issue most of the time. If you have an address cached, it doesn't matter if the geocoding routine has shut down, you'll still see it.

-Mike

SignalCheck Pro 4.14 has been pushed to Google Play. The issue with invalid or missing EV-DO and LTE information introduced in the last version has been fixed.. shout out to lilotimz for his troubleshooting help in The Lounge tonight to get this working!

Also, I put 'x' in front of the hex BID for now. We can continue to discuss it, I'm good with whatever style you guys prefer, including switching it back to nothing at all. My initial concern was that it was the only unlabeled item on the screen; not specifically concerned that it's hex, just that it's a piece of information without a label. But the more I think of it, I don't necessarily think it needs to be explained. You guys tell me what you want. I don't think it needs to be a preference setting though, so don't go there ;)

-Mike

Mike just found a bug in the new update. If you go to about and try to click on your website while in the app, it causes it to crash.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Mike just found a bug in the new update. If you go to about and try to click on your website while in the app, it causes it to crash.

Hmm.. not on any of the devices I tested with, including an EVO...? Didn't touch anything on the About screen recently, so if it's a bug, it's not new.

I did some research, and may have figured out what is going on.. did you by any chance tinker with the HTC Linkify stuff that was implemented to satisfy Apple's patent complaint? The app tries to fire off your default browser, but on HTC devices, it appears to need to go through that Linkify app first..

-Mike

Hmm.. not on any of the devices I tested with, including an EVO...? Didn't touch anything on the About screen recently, so if it's a bug, it's not new.

I did some research, and may have figured out what is going on.. did you by any chance tinker with the HTC Linkify stuff that was implemented to satisfy Apple's patent complaint? The app tries to fire off your default browser, but on HTC devices, it appears to need to go through that Linkify app first..

-Mike

I did mess with it. I totally removed it. This is the first time I have had a problem though.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I did mess with it. I totally removed it. This is the first time I have had a problem though.

Yeah, that would be the cause.. I will see if there is anything I can change on my end to prevent this from happening to you (and anyone else).  The issue is my app says, "Hey, we want to open up this link, where's your web browser?", and on your device, it looks for the HTC Linkify stuff to get the answer to that question.  No Linkify, no answer, force close.

Thank Apple. :(

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike,

I am going to pull out my EVO LTE phone and see if this just happens on the HTC One.  But when I'm connected eHRPD, Signal Check seems to show a status for LTE.  Here are 2 screen shots one connected eHRPD and the other LTE.  I'm running version 4.14.

hohl5Cal.png58L68cTl.png