SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Sorry  for a cross post from the Missouri  thread  but I think I will have more luck  finding  a signal check pro user here near a "donut"  site.  That's one that you can't connect to unless you hand off firm a accepted site. 

Can anyone verify on one of those donut hole sites that signal check pro will show lte strength while the site is not accepting connections if you turn the show hidden  signals option on?  Does it show in the menu bar or just when you pull up the screen with the 4 signal strength bar graphs? 

Sorry  for a cross post from the Missouri  thread  but I think I will have more luck  finding  a signal check pro user here near a "donut"  site.  That's one that you can't connect to unless you hand off firm a accepted site. 

Can anyone verify on one of those donut hole sites that signal check pro will show lte strength while the site is not accepting connections if you turn the show hidden  signals option on?  Does it show in the menu bar or just when you pull up the screen with the 4 signal strength bar graphs? 

Excuse my ignorance but what is a donut hole site?  :blink:  :scratch:

Excuse my ignorance but is a donut hole site? :blink::scratch:

A site you can't connect to if you're near it. We think that it's being tested and won't allow new connections but it you hand off from a live lte connection from another site. On Sensory there often is hole in coverage right at the site.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

A site you can't connect to if you're near it. We think that it's being tested and won't allow new connections but it you hand off from a live lte connection from another site. On Sensory there often is hole in coverage right at the site.

A site that doesn't allow LTE authorizations.

Oh, OK! "Donut hole" makes sense in that regard and now, how to identify (besides being at the site and not having LTE connection)? Is it just looking at Sensorly for a hole in coverage?  We don't have a ton of towers live where I live (and work) but I will definitely check and try to see how SignalCheck Pro treats it. 

Oh, OK! "Donut hole" makes sense in that regard and now, how to identify (besides being at the site and not having LTE connection)? Is it just looking at Sensorly for a hole in coverage?  We don't have a ton of towers live where I live (and work) but I will definitely check and try to see how SignalCheck Pro treats it. 

We've been referring to them as donut sites as that's what they look like.  The donut holes I've had are little round balls of fried dough ;)

It's not a physical setting of the site, the authorization piece of LTE is simply turned off.  If you are watching the LTE engineering screen you'll see that you get handed off to the new site and you will stay connected for a short period of time.  Since you are usually traveling towards the site you'll get down to about -95 then get kicked off.  This is due to the LTE connection going dormant previously and a handshake recurring and since no auth's are allowed it kicks you off.  It looks like a donut coverage if you would map it out.  Since a lot of sites in Ericsson markets have been accepted this way recently, in our market we usually require folks to cycle airplane mode near the site to make sure a new authorization is forced to ensure the site is not in donut mode.  We have found that if you have the CSR's use their pinpoint tool on the site to report no 4G coverage that it usually gets fixed in a day or two.  But of course this only works in launched markets.

There is a trick to stay connected to the site but I prefer to not share that piece of info as some folks have been using it to map out sites then others get frustrated when they are very close to the site looking at the dark purple on the map and the 3G icon on their phone. 

• Like 2

The donut holes I've had are little round balls of fried dough ;)

I thought you folk called them "beignets."

;)

AJ

• Like 1

So there was something fishy going on with my signal for the past five days. I've been roaming, dropping calls and signal check has been showing "ev-do: -?#!". This was at a site that I saw crew working on and the sponsor map shows as "in progress". Since the odd reading and the mostly metropcs and Verizon roaming that signal check showed, I went to the Sprint store to ask. Apparently the tower "went dark" and suddenly stopped broadcasting a signal since Tuesday and they are trying to figure out why. Sounds like someone connected the wrong wires or installed something wrong during the NV upgrade, although I can't imagine tech support guys from sprint not concluding something similar.

By the way, I also enjoy using this app. In the 5 years I have used android, this is only the second app that I have actually purchased. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to use it once I have an lte phone.

• Like 1

So there was something fishy going on with my signal for the past five days. I've been roaming, dropping calls and signal check has been showing "ev-do: -?#!". This was at a site that I saw crew working on and the sponsor map shows as "in progress". Since the odd reading and the mostly metropcs and Verizon roaming that signal check showed, I went to the Sprint store to ask. Apparently the tower "went dark" and suddenly stopped broadcasting a signal since Tuesday and they are trying to figure out why. Sounds like someone connected the wrong wires or installed something wrong during the NV upgrade, although I can't imagine tech support guys from sprint not concluding something similar.

Probably the same color blind guys near my area that did an install. ;)

No

Don't know where the no comes from... Ok I thought about it and a text log button with a date and time stamp button would be even better.

With the phones gps location...

You know you can edit your posts in Tapatalk so you don't have 4 posts in the same, well, sorta same, thing. :)

Too late now, but for next time.

Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4

You know you can edit your posts in Tapatalk so you don't have 4 posts in the same, well, sorta same, thing. :)

Tapatalk doesn't let me edit my posts, it just sits there. I don't use the new one though, hate the layout with all the wasted space on the left and a couple of the features they removed.

• Like 1

Tapatalk doesn't let me edit either.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Tapatalk doesn't let me edit my posts, it just sits there. I don't use the new one though, hate the layout with all the wasted space on the left and a couple of the features they removed.

You just don't like change do you?

:P

I actually like the new one.

Sent from my HTC ONE

With the phones gps location...

That is unlikely.  GPS would be running far too often -- a definite battery drain.

AJ

You just don't like change do you?

:P

I actually like the new one.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Oh I like change, but not when it removes features and adds a bunch of dead space. *cough* *cough* google maps.

• Like 3

That is unlikely.  GPS would be running far too often -- a definite battery drain.

AJ

I didn't mean all the time just a snap shot of the current data with time and gps location. When you push the button it saves one data set, but the more I think about it nevermind. 

I didn't mean all the time just a snap shot of the current data with time and gps location. When you push the button it saves one data set, but the more I think about it nevermind.

This may be more feasible with the new location APIs in the Google Play Services framework; they use a lot less power than the traditional API does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

This may be more feasible with the new location APIs in the Google Play Services framework; they use a lot power than the traditional API does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I think I know what he's getting at.  When you take screenshots you easily forget where what was taken where.  I believe it was said before that you can't make it take a screenshot due to security lock downs but that would be neat to hit a button to say current location and it throws the X, Y on the screen with the time stamp so you can then screen shot it.  It's two step process but better than nothing. 

This is the reason I do split screened LTE engineering screens on my phone so I can have google maps w/ my tower layer loaded, I can see the streets on where I want to go plus see the engineering screen.  So easy to go back later and do a little data analysis by just looking at the screenshots.

Awesome idea the split screen totally forgot about that feature. Googled how to get split screen working.

You can do it if you have a Galaxy S3 or 4 as well as the Note 2. There may be other Sammy devices able to do it but these are the most popular.

*Weird that it doesn't work in the old version now. It used to, owellz. Update now, it's only 99c. :)

• Like 1