SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

And this is why we're here! Learn something every day. :tu:

Unless they finally decide to fire something up around Springfield, I won't be around any LTE until this upcoming weekend, but I will keep an eye on it.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Maybe this is a bad download on my end but at my store when I reset the connection in the app the One actually shows the airplane and then shows signal again, while the s4 stays the same and doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe this is a bad download on my end but at my store when I reset the connection in the app the One actually shows the airplane and then shows signal again, while the s4 stays the same and doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone else notice this?

Mine also does that sometimes. There are many times I have to push the reset data button 2, 3 or 4 times before it resets it.

I have to do the same thing sometimes myself. No "reset" function exists, so I made my own; but its effectiveness varies with the status of your network connection and device. I designed it to be quick, and one shot works most of the time. You can also try clicking it twice fairly quickly (without waiting for the connection to finish resetting).. that works well for some.

-Mike

I have to do the same thing sometimes myself. No "reset" function exists, so I made my own; but its effectiveness varies with the status of your network connection and device. I designed it to be quick, and one shot works most of the time. You can also try clicking it twice fairly quickly (without waiting for the connection to finish resetting).. that works well for some.

-Mike

Mike,

Since you made your own reset function, can it be configurable as to which things it "resets"? Reason I am asking is that I reset it once and my bluetooth connection to the car was also reset. I also use Tasker (android automation app) for when I am connected to my car, so it restarted a whole bunch of things (such as restarting my google nav). Can it be customized so it only rests certain radios?

Salman

• Like 1

AJ, you are the reason I always preface stuff with "I believe.." or "as far as I know.." because I know about 1% of what you and the other nuts around here do! I was wondering if the PN would be useful in that situation. And I'm still working on digging them out for the app.. if it is so damn helpful, why do they make it so hard to get to..

-Mike

I would love to have the PN's for EVDO.  1x is less important to me, but would be nice too.  :tu:

Robert

• Like 2

Since you made your own reset function, can it be configurable as to which things it "resets"? Reason I am asking is that I reset it once and my bluetooth connection to the car was also reset. I also use Tasker (android automation app) for when I am connected to my car, so it restarted a whole bunch of things (such as restarting my google nav). Can it be customized so it only rests certain radios?

My function uses airplane mode to do the reset (I haven't discovered any other method that is accessible to developers), so whatever radios airplane mode shuts off on your device will be affected. Sorry!

EDIT: The next version will only reset the cellular radio, thanks for the suggestion!

-Mike

My function uses airplane mode to do the reset (I haven't discovered any other method that is accessible to developers), so whatever radios airplane mode shuts off on your device will be affected. Sorry!

-Mike

I use the Switch Pro Widget to make a Airplane mode switch on my homescreen, it allows me to pick which radios it resets. I chose to only affect the cellular ones, it leaves my Bluetooth and WiFi alone. Maybe you could set the reset to just affect the cellular radios?

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been brought up before but do u think you'll ever include showing what band you're connected to. Not sure how easy that would be though. Vzw users would find it helpful now with lte on aws being deployed and of course we will whenever our tri-band phones launch

I use the Switch Pro Widget to make a Airplane mode switch on my homescreen, it allows me to pick which radios it resets. I chose to only affect the cellular ones, it leaves my Bluetooth and WiFi alone. Maybe you could set the reset to just affect the cellular radios?

Interesting.. I have never heard of that capability, I will look into it! Thanks for the heads up!

-Mike

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been brought up before but do u think you'll ever include showing what band you're connected to. Not sure how easy that would be though. Vzw users would find it helpful now with lte on aws being deployed and of course we will whenever our tri-band phones launch

I would love to add that, and it's on my wish list.. but that info is very difficult to extract. That data is usually only in manufacturer-specific engineering screens because those apps have more access to the system than third-party apps do. The standard radio calls available to developers are fairly limited. Android 4.2 added a ton of great new methods, but I haven't found any devices that utilize them yet.

-Mike

• Like 1

Interesting.. I have never heard of that capability, I will look into it! Thanks for the heads up!

-Mike

Glad to help! I know next to nothing about coding, but that particular app allows that to work, so there must be something out there, just don't know what! Thinking about it, it seems like it just turns off those radios, rather than triggering an actual Air Plane mode. At least, that's what it seems. Again, don't know anything about writing apps! 

Also, thinking about heading over to the LTE tower east of town tomorrow evening, will have SignalCheck on the ready to see what happens on the fringe signals. 

I would love to add that, and it's on my wish list.. but that info is very difficult to extract. That data is usually only in manufacturer-specific engineering screens because those apps have more access to the system than third-party apps do. The standard radio calls available to developers are fairly limited. Android 4.2 added a ton of great new methods, but I haven't found any devices that utilize them yet.

-Mike

I had a feeling it wouldn't be an easy task. Thanks for all your work

I found the settings in the API and the next version will only reset the cellular radios.  Thanks guys, I like this feature myself!

-Mike

• Like 9

Thank you! That had not been reported to me yet. Does it always show a specific set of values, or does it remain "frozen" at whatever the data was when you last had a real LTE connection?

-Mike

Went out to the LTE east of town this evening. It would appear that either the HTC ONE, or SignalCheck, not sure which, holds on to the last LTE value it had before disconnecting. Here's what I saw.

This is just after I lost LTE:

2013-07-12%2021.05.59.png

And this is close to an hour later as I pulled into my driveway. Hit a couple of Airplane resets and even connected to WiFi and it still held onto the LTE value. Dinged every time I hit airplane mode too. About an hour after I got home, it went away, not sure what caused it.

2013-07-12%2021.27.54.png

Went out to the LTE east of town this evening. It would appear that either the HTC ONE, or SignalCheck, not sure which, holds on to the last LTE value it had before disconnecting. Here's what I saw.

This is just after I lost LTE:

2013-07-12%2021.05.59.png

And this is close to an hour later as I pulled into my driveway. Hit a couple of Airplane resets and even connected to WiFi and it still held onto the LTE value. Dinged every time I hit airplane mode too. About an hour after I got home, it went away, not sure what caused it.

2013-07-12%2021.27.54.png

This does not happen on my Galaxy S3.  When I lose LTE, it completely drops off the signal check screen.

I would assume this means 800mghz is active in Red Lion,PA (Shentel)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, you have Shentel 800 mhz.  Shentel has a whole bunch of 800 mhz active.   They sure are leading the way for 800 deployment. It is everywhere and it works well.  I think if you travel around a little you will find it almost every place as long as you do not venture out of Shentel territory, like East into Lancaster.  Stick in York county and points North & West and you will have 800 meg.

Yeah I have LTE allover York/Dallastown/Red Lion. Shentel has done a great job in the area. Lancaster is horrible, omw home from a mall over there and data speeds crael over there.

Yeah I have LTE allover York/Dallastown/Red Lion. Shentel has done a great job in the area. Lancaster is horrible, omw home from a mall over there and data speeds crael over there.

Lancaster is not handled by Shentel.  Be very very glad you live in territory that is in Shentel territory. You do not see complaints about Shentel's performance ANYWHERE. They are getting it done.  Still more to do, but they are on it.

Yeah I know they arent covered by Shentel. I left Sprint for about 2 years and moved my 10 lines to Verizon due to horrible performance. Just moved everyone back to Sprint 2 weeks ago. I could not be any happier with the improvements

Awesome troubleshooting, thank you.. that should be everything I need!  It appears that for some reason the One must not clear its LTE values when it loses the connection.  I am working on a fix.

-Mike

• Like 1

I have the pro version and have the 800 and LTE alerts notified.  It seems that the alerts only work if I turn my screen on while I'm in the area.  

Example: I enter an area I know has LTE, and I pick my phone up and turn the screen on and immediately the alert chimes it vibrates.  The first time it happened I thought it was a coincidence, but now I don't think it is.  I think the same happened with 800 this weekend also.

I have an EVO 4G LTE, if that matters.

Is it supposed to work like this?