SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Maybe in that region VZW uses Midwest Wireless as their roaming partner? Just south of me VZW uses US Cellular for CDMA for their roaming partner. VZW has been agressive and deploying LTE, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

According to wiki, Midwest Wireless was bought out by Alltel. So the company doesn't exist anymore. At least that's the way I interpret it.

According to wiki, Midwest Wireless was bought out by Alltel. So the company doesn't exist anymore. At least that's the way I interpret it.

They probably didn't change how it was broadcasting.  Alltel doesn't exist but Alltel coverage is still broadcasting.

• Like 2

They probably didn't change how it was broadcasting. Alltel doesn't exist but Alltel coverage is still broadcasting.

That's my guess. It also makes me wonder if the tower actually identifies as Midwest Wireless or Verizon. I ask this because I have noticed a few towers in my area actually identify as Verizon Wireless at first but quickly change to Verizon, which I can only assume it gets from the SCP SID database. These also do broadcast a BSL, which is rare for VZW, so maybe actually broadcasting a carrier identifier is unique to these towers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have mine set to LTE/CDMA, not global, but still see them. It seems to occur when the device is doing a handoff between sites or bands.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Well that's a bust, after I set mine device to LTE/CDMA I didn't see them for a good week and a half but...I just noticed it happened yesterday while I was working.  

I'll make it so this evening. Already txt'd him....

I don't think I got a diagnostic report about it, but looking at the code I think there is a bug that might prevent band indicators from appearing for Boost and Virgin Mobile. I'm playing around with it. Have him send it if he has a chance anyway though.

For those of you that are seeing the "Unknown 0dBm," what network mode is your device set to (Global, CDMA/LTE, CDMA, GSM/UMTS)? I was getting the unknown PCI when my device was set to global mode once I set it to CDMA/LTE I stopped getting the unknown PCI, this is using a LG G Flex.

I don't see a difference in Global or LTE/CDMA mode.. I think it might be more of an Android OS bug than something network-related, but who knows. I'm mostly wondering if those with devices that never show PCIs (Samsung) are seeing a list of "Unknown" neighbors with valid signal readings, or nothing at all. I don't want to filter out all "Unknown" neighbors if it's actually somewhat useful to some people.

They probably didn't change how it was broadcasting. Alltel doesn't exist but Alltel coverage is still broadcasting.

That's my guess. It also makes me wonder if the tower actually identifies as Midwest Wireless or Verizon. I ask this because I have noticed a few towers in my area actually identify as Verizon Wireless at first but quickly change to Verizon, which I can only assume it gets from the SCP SID database. These also do broadcast a BSL, which is rare for VZW, so maybe actually broadcasting a carrier identifier is unique to these towers.

SignalCheck takes the CDMA SID or LTE/WCDMA PLMN and checks it against an internal database stored within the app to show the provider name.. if it does not find the provider, it falls back and displays whatever the network is broadcasting. The internal database uses "Verizon" while I believe VZW actually broadcasts "Verizon Wireless", so it could actually be the app showing the provider name before it finds it in the database. This could also explain why you're seeing Midwest while on Verizon; the app could certainly be outdated. What SID is this happening on?

For those who are wondering why I built a (very large) database of provider names, it was to help confirm that you are truly seeing the actual provider you are connected to. Some custom ROMs play with the network-broadcasted name, and there are also situations where Android will mask the network provider's name even though a connection exists. It's transparent until situations like this pop up, where a provider is bought out or renamed and I don't catch it immediately.

-Mike

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1104749,-95.952603,14z

Phone HTC One M9 set to automatic

In the previous version of SCP, I did get some strange readings for the neighbors. The problem is you would have to know my neighborhood or county to understand how out of line the distances are from the star on this map.

The primary tower is totally likely.

The neighbors are further than the distances indicated and at least one tower is very unlikely given the true distance.

http://i.imgur.com/xMXCSYu.png

In the previous version of SCP, I did get some strange readings for the neighbors. The problem is you would have to know my neighborhood or county to understand how out of line the distances are from the star on this map.

The primary tower is totally likely.

The neighbors are further than the distances indicated and at least one tower is very unlikely given the true distance.

http://i.imgur.com/xMXCSYu.png

The locations/distances are based on what you have stored in your device's own SignalCheck log.. it saves the coordinates of the strongest signal you have seen for each GCI. So unless you have walked right up to each site and circled it while maintaining the optimal signal strength (catching all 3 sectors), the distances are not going to be exact -- but they will be close. The more you run the Site Logger, the more accurate your readings will be, because you will eventually pinpoint the true "sweet spot" of signal strength that is likely a short distance from the site.

If you look at your log and plot out the coordinates of each sector, you'll probably find the location of the site in the middle. I've been playing with some triangulation features but it's nowhere close to anything useful yet.

-Mike

• Like 4

I am late to the party again.  Some members were recently discussing prefered presentation by SCP.  I thought that a couple of versions ago it presented all bands offered by a target tower.  More recently, I am most often seeing just band 25 and fewer indications of band 26 present. When I am under the influence of Band 41, I am seeing my phone bounce between Band 41 and band 25.  Today the best I got out of a tower known to have multiple bands was Band 25 and 1x800 (not LTE).  I was right under the tower.

When I do approach a Sprint with multiple bands including band 41, Band 41 is all that is presented in SCP current version.

When I am in my home, I do get an indication of the tower servicing me Band 25 and my WiFi.  Rarely I will see Band 26 or a non-LTE band off the tower.  All those possibilities in my home are very likely correct.

Speaking for myself, I would appreciate SCP indicating  ALL bands perceived. My suggestons are something like:

SPARK when all three Sprint bands are perceived.

or

LTE 41

LTE 25

LTE 26

CMDA 800 to make it easier for noobs like me to know the difference between the two 800 frequency bands..

the remainder of the options below that.

Thank you for your consideration.

Devices:  HTC One m9 and LG G Pad F.

The locations/distances are based on what you have stored in your device's own SignalCheck log.. it saves the coordinates of the strongest signal you have seen for each GCI. So unless you have walked right up to each site and circled it while maintaining the optimal signal strength (catching all 3 sectors), the distances are not going to be exact -- but they will be close. The more you run the Site Logger, the more accurate your readings will be, because you will eventually pinpoint the true "sweet spot" of signal strength that is likely a short distance from the site.

If you look at your log and plot out the coordinates of each sector, you'll probably find the location of the site in the middle. I've been playing with some triangulation features but it's nowhere close to anything useful yet.

-Mike

Could it be changed to use the best location for the site instead of best location per sector. That way i don't have to do each sector when making a SCP database.

I am late to the party again. Some members were recently discussing prefered presentation by SCP. I thought that a couple of versions ago it presented all bands offered by a target tower. More recently, I am most often seeing just band 25 and fewer indications of band 26 present. When I am under the influence of Band 41, I am seeing my phone bounce between Band 41 and band 25. Today the best I got out of a tower known to have multiple bands was Band 25 and 1x800 (not LTE). I was right under the tower.

When I do approach a Sprint with multiple bands including band 41, Band 41 is all that is presented in SCP current version.

Speaking for myself, I would appreciate SCP indicating ALL bands perceived.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for, but I think you might be misunderstanding how the app works. The primary function is to display the information about your current connection. Additionally, many devices also show neighbor cells, which are other cells your device is "seeing" as possible candidates to connect to. Essentially it is choosing the best cell at the moment and connecting to that, but keeping an eye on the others to see if something better comes along. For example, as you drive away from the site you are connected to, often the neighbor list will become populated with cells you are driving toward. Eventually, one will become more appropriate than the one you were originally connected to, and it will become the active connection. The previous cell will then likely appear in the neighbor list until it's no longer worthy of consideration.

There is no method to identify/display all of the potential connection types on a particular site. That's not how it works, at least not on the UE (device) end. SignalCheck never had a feature like that, because the capability doesn't exist--at least not within the standard Android framework.

Your device's radio and your provider's network determine what bands/cells are available and how connections and handoffs are handled. If you are on B41, that's because the network has deemed that is the optimal connection for your particular circumstances at that moment. There are many reasons why you might be on a particular band one day, and a different one the next.. signal strength, sector load, device status, etc. Just because you don't hit a certain band from a certain site doesn't mean it's not there. The network just doesn't think you need to use it. And the network's opinion is really the only one that matters!

Remember, most of the data seen in SignalCheck isn't stuff the providers expected users to be monitoring. We are clearly in the minority.

-Mike

SignalCheck takes the CDMA SID or LTE/WCDMA PLMN and checks it against an internal database stored within the app to show the provider name.. if it does not find the provider, it falls back and displays whatever the network is broadcasting. The internal database uses "Verizon" while I believe VZW actually broadcasts "Verizon Wireless", so it could actually be the app showing the provider name before it finds it in the database. This could also explain why you're seeing Midwest while on Verizon; the app could certainly be outdated. What SID is this happening on?

-Mike

Here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_2015-05-25-19-50-40.png

• Like 1

Anyway to keep the SCP icons in the status bar but NOT show a notification? This is annoying on lollipop because it shows me SCP stuff on the home screen which I don't need. I currently have them blocked, but that took away the status icons.

Anyway to keep the SCP icons in the status bar but NOT show a notification? This is annoying on lollipop because it shows me SCP stuff on the home screen which I don't need. I currently have them blocked, but that took away the status icons.

I assume you're talking about signal check showing in lockscreen notifications? There is a flag that can be set (in app code, of course) to hide notifications from the lockscreen.  Mike would have to set that flag or make a configurable option for it.  I personally prefer showing signal check on the lockscreen, and it would be even better if the privacy on the signal check notifications was set to public.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping to "see" the other bands on the same tower.

Again thank you.

No problem. We prefer to refer to them as sites, not towers; many sites are not actually towers. Like I stated above, that capability does not exist; like the commercial says, "That's not how any of this works!" Tracking NV progress would be very easy if it was that simple.

-Mike

I assume you're talking about signal check showing in lockscreen notifications? There is a flag that can be set (in app code, of course) to hide notifications from the lockscreen. Mike would have to set that flag or make a configurable option for it. I personally prefer showing signal check on the lockscreen, and it would be even better if the privacy on the signal check notifications was set to public.

It's actually not that simple unfortunately. Setting that flag controls the overall visibility of the notification on both the lockscreen and the status bar. Changing the flag essentially makes everything vanish, so you might as well just shut the icons off from within the app. This is a Lollipop issue that many developers are annoyed with, but so far there is no easy way to adjust it. I'm playing with a workaround to allow the lockscreen notification to be hidden, as several others have already asked for this. Once I can get it working well enough, there will be a user preference setting for it. I'll look into adding an option for the public setting too.

-Mike

Could it be changed to use the best location for the site instead of best location per sector. That way i don't have to do each sector when making a SCP database.

I had looked into that previously and learned that it would require a lot of work because of how the app interacts with the log. It's still on the table but will take some time.

-Mike

• Like 1

I don't think I got a diagnostic report about it, but looking at the code I think there is a bug that might prevent band indicators from appearing for Boost and Virgin Mobile. I'm playing around with it. Have him send it if he has a chance anyway though.

I don't see a difference in Global or LTE/CDMA mode.. I think it might be more of an Android OS bug than something network-related, but who knows. I'm mostly wondering if those with devices that never show PCIs (Samsung) are seeing a list of "Unknown" neighbors with valid signal readings, or nothing at all. I don't want to filter out all "Unknown" neighbors if it's actually somewhat useful to some people.

For those who are wondering why I built a (very large) database of provider names, it was to help confirm that you are truly seeing the actual provider you are connected to. Some custom ROMs play with the network-broadcasted name, and there are also situations where Android will mask the network provider's name even though a connection exists. It's transparent until situations like this pop up, where a provider is bought out or renamed and I don't catch it immediately.

-Mike

I just made him send a diagnostic report, note as UPdownLoAD's friend
  • Like 1

SignalCheck should be displaying Boost Mobile's LTE bands, what is the PLMN that is being displayed and are you using Lite or Pro?I

I use the pro version.

I use the pro version.

My neighbor does too (talked him into using some of is Play credit lol). His LTE connections show a PLMN of 311490 regardless of band, and just shows LTE. Mike should have got his diag report.

I think I can agree on that

I've got a LG Tribute that's unactivated on Boost (still shows 3G/1X) with occasional LTE, SignalCheck Pro and LTE Discovery don't have a clue.

I wanted to provide GCI's for the devs, but it connects to LTE so rarely that I can't.

That being said, I do run CellMapper 24/7 and what LTE it does connect to on highways (B26) does map.

yeah ive tryed LTE discovery says LTE band unknown

Just noticed yesterday that SignalCheck Pro said I was connected to an LTE 700 B12 site for T-Mobile, but I was actually connected to a B4 site.  There seems to be some sort of error in how it detects B12 for T-Mo.