SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

If I find the time and get it to work on android I might be able to help. If I do try and make one tonight I will post a link in the Madison premier thread.

I might be able to help this weekend. Still working out the bugs with my own.

Flompholph hooked us up already. Awesome stuff! Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. S5 got updated to Lollipop and I lost all my logs in the reset on accident. This was a life saver.

I still recommend a premier sponsor fund raiser for a nationwide SCP log db. $10 a pop for that tier. I think you'd have a lot of takers.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

We would need every market to create a spreadsheet. Without that, it's pretty much impossible.

Yeah, wasn't sure how many markets had detailed enough sheets for the prediction.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

• 2 weeks later...

Mike is there anyway SCP can track neighboring cells using the GCI instead of the PCI?  The neighboring cells feature does not seem to work on Samsung devices.  

Also SCP seems to be draining my battery, on my other devices SCP does not use this much battery consumption usually less than 2%.

Mike is there anyway SCP can track neighboring cells using the GCI instead of the PCI? The neighboring cells feature does not seem to work on Samsung devices.

No, GCI isn't reported for neighboring cells, only PCI. It's the best he can do with the parameters that he has to work with.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

Mike is there anyway SCP can track neighboring cells using the GCI instead of the PCI?  The neighboring cells feature does not seem to work on Samsung devices.  

Also SCP seems to be draining my battery, on my other devices SCP does not use this much battery consumption usually less than 2%.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-02-17-10-25-35.png

Neighbor cells work on my samsung note 4. Are you sure you have them on in the settings? I know sometimes they don't show up when there are no other cells around.

• Like 1

Neighbor cells work on my samsung note 4. Are you sure you have them on in the settings? I know sometimes they don't show up when there are no other cells around.

Yes, I have the setting enabled for them to show up, I beta tested this feature before it was released publicly on two other devices. 

Mike is there anyway SCP can track neighboring cells using the GCI instead of the PCI? The neighboring cells feature does not seem to work on Samsung devices.

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-02-17-10-25-35.png

Once a Samsung device is upgraded to 4.4.4 and above, the modem/OS reports PCI properly.
  • Like 1

If I recall, TAC is also a parameter that can be used for neighbor cells. I've found that neighbor cells that also have a different TAC from my currently connected site don't always spit out the site notes...that and null entries cause similar issues too

If I recall, TAC is also a parameter that can be used for neighbor cells. I've found that neighbor cells that also have a different TAC from my currently connected site don't always spit out the site notes...that and null entries cause similar issues too

The PLMN+TAC comes from the currently connected site not the neighbor cells. There is a setting to turn on distance based PCI it will ignore the TAC. A couple pages back I thought he could display the TAC next to the PCI to help search for random PCI, but mike said it's only PCI.

• Like 1

The real issue for me right now is the significant battery drain.  I have turned off site logging and changed the location settings to see if that will help.  The neighboring cells feature I don't absolutely need because I know the GCI patterns in my market when on Band 25, 26, or 41.  

Hey all, I'm finally back!! Mother Nature has been relentless up here in Boston, so I got stuck in the Caribbean for a little longer than expected (I'm sure you all feel bad for me) and it's caused a whole bunch of extra work at my "real" job too. But enough excuses, back to work..

Unfortunately the only data reported for neighbor cells is their PCI and their RSRP. That's it. Nothing else. If there was more there, I'd show it.. as others have suggested, there are some new options that you can play around with to try getting better results for neighbor cell notes.

On the same topic, I am aware of a serious bug that causes some incorrect neighbor notes and invalid log entries to appear; it happens in markets that use more than one PLMN -- i.e. Clearwire. Some devices are seeing the new PLMN before the new GCI, which causes SignalCheck to see a bogus PLMN+GCI combination. I'm testing a workaround for this but it needs a little more work. Luckily I have a broad mix of Sprint and Clear (and co-located) sites in my area on Band 41 now, so I am victimized by this all the time -- makes for a great testing environment.

Mike, could you set the notification visibility flag to public for those on Android L? There's no reason that signal check information be hidden on the lockscreen.

Details here: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-5.0.html#Notifications

I still don't have a Lollipop test environment running, but I've gotten several requests to remove the SignalCheck notification from the lockscreen -- so I know it's showing up there, at least for some people. I'm looking into it and will add option(s) to customize this behavior if possible. It's on the list of Lollipop stuff I know I need to get done.

-Mike

• Like 8

Is this Usage high or normal?

Not sure what's causing those battery drains.. I haven't released any updates in several weeks, so it's not anything new. Have either of you tweaked your location settings, or started using the site logger or location service within the app? I use GSam Battery Monitor and sometimes I see random spikes from SignalCheck myself, and I have no idea why. Part of me wonders if it's a Google-something in the background and somehow it's getting reported as SCP. I do not have any wakelocks directly coded into the app; they are probably tied to one of the Google components it has, such as the 1X geocoder or location service.

-Mike

Been having a glitch with the status bar icon not showing connected to band41. Sometimes it'll show it connected to lte41 sometimes it'll stay stuck on lte only. Using a note 4. lte discovery shows its connected to b41

Hmm.. when you say "lte only" do you mean it just shows "LTE" (i.e. Band 25)? Is there any consistency as to when it gets stuck? Are you sure LTE Discovery isn't wrong?  :P

-Mike

Not sure what's causing those battery drains.. I haven't released any updates in several weeks, so it's not anything new. Have either of you tweaked your location settings, or started using the site logger or location service within the app? I use GSam Battery Monitor and sometimes I see random spikes from SignalCheck myself, and I have no idea why. Part of me wonders if it's a Google-something in the background and somehow it's getting reported as SCP. I do not have any wakelocks directly coded into the app; they are probably tied to one of the Google components it has, such as the 1X geocoder or location service.

-Mike

Mike I fixed my issue, SignalCheck uses less than 4% now.  I disabled site logger, location neighbor notes, and changed the location service priority to low power.  The neighbor cells do not work on the tri-band Galaxy S3 so there was no need in having it enabled due to the PCI not being reported to SCP, its a shame it doesn't but it is what it is.  ;)

Just a note:  Android will report high battery usage from SCP if you have the "keep screen on" setting enabled and are the type to leave SCP running while your driving or looking for new LTE sites.

• Like 2

Been having a glitch with the status bar icon not showing connected to band41. Sometimes it'll show it connected to lte41 sometimes it'll stay stuck on lte only. Using a note 4. lte discovery shows its connected to b41

I see this too from time to time when it's caught only a piece of the data (same bug that appears to be causing the oddball logging problem) but it usually resolves itself once it catches up and gets all three pieces (GCI/PCI/PLMN).

- Trip

Mike just to let you know there is a side effect from the null values in the log with neighbor. Even though I have notes for 90% of the lte in my area. I actually have a screenshot with the tower I am connected to has a note but neighbors with the same pci don't. Since I can import/export the logs. I can edit them ou. just thought you should know.

Feature request: When you match a pci in the neighbor list show the distance from the best signal from the site. ie If I create a log with 1 sector at -1 it uses that best location instead of the best location for the sector with the pci.

Mike just to let you know there is a side effect from the null values in the log with neighbor. Even though I have notes for 90% of the lte in my area. I actually have a screenshot with the tower I am connected to has a note but neighbors with the same pci don't. Since I can import/export the logs. I can edit them ou. just thought you should know.

Feature request: When you match a pci in the neighbor list show the distance from the best signal from the site. ie If I create a log with 1 sector at -1 it uses that best location instead of the best location for the sector with the pci.

Yep, the missing neighbor notes is the most glaring impact of this bug.. I'm trying to sort it out.

I tinker with the neighbor cell stuff quite often, so I'll give your request a try and see how it shakes out. It's tricky and doesn't always shake out the way I would expect it to. With only a PCI to work with, there's a lot of educated guessing on the app's behalf.

-Mike

Hmm.. when you say "lte only" do you mean it just shows "LTE" (i.e. Band 25)? Is there any consistency as to when it gets stuck? Are you sure LTE Discovery isn't wrong? [emoji14]

-Mike

Yeah it only shows "LTE" on the status bar. But if I swipe the notification shade down it will show B41. speed test shows that it is indeed b41 ;P. I get 20 mbps when the glitch happens. If it was b25..won't even make it past 1mbps. No consistency to when it gets stuck ...happens randomly