Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

I've been out of contract for a few months. And while I'm heavily interested in the Note 5 (aside from hardware changes, which mystify me), I don't see myself signing a new contract with Sprint. Especially when they only offer one antenna Spark service going forward. All the services have issues, but Sprint takes the cake thus far.

If the lack of SvLTE is what is keeping you from upgrading, bad news. All other carriers, not just Sprint are moving towards the single radio design. SvLTE is a dying technology. Until there is more widespread adoption of VoLTE, simultaneous talk and data is a thing of the past. Of course, you can always use the Hangouts Dialer as a VoLTE substitute and have your simultaneous talk and data back to bridge the gab between now and VoLTE.

• Like 1

If the lack of SvLTE is what is keeping you from upgrading, bad news. All other carriers, not just Sprint are moving towards the single radio design. SvLTE is a dying technology. Until there is more widespread adoption of VoLTE, simultaneous talk and data is a thing of the past. Of course, you can always use the Hangouts Dialer as a VoLTE substitute and have your simultaneous talk and data back to bridge the gab between now and VoLTE.

I was mistaken if this is the case. Do you know of a reason for it? Seems like a step backwards.

I drive through Orange Country from San Diego twice a week.  I haven't experience any issues other than dropping to 3G on the toll road going towards Long Beach.  I am on LTE 98% of the time from San Diego through Torrance.  

I am trying to gather more data that can help pin point if there was a network wide update that we can request Sprint network exec to look at.

I drive through Orange Country from San Diego twice a week.  I haven't experience any issues other than dropping to 3G on the toll road going towards Long Beach.  I am on LTE 98% of the time from San Diego through Torrance.  

I am trying to gather more data that can help pin point if there was a network wide update that we can request Sprint network exec to look at.

My experience is completely different. They may have provisioned 4GLTE near most freeways (though my issue is currently next to the 57). But quite a few other areas seem to be sparse, at least the areas I visit. Vast parts of Anaheim (not near Disneyland), Stanton, Garden Grove, Westminster, and Huntington Beach. As I might have noted earlier, I will be moving to the north-east section of HB in a few weeks. Have been on 3G every time I checked. It's weak enough that stepping into a store dumped me into roaming.

My experience is completely different. They may have provisioned 4GLTE near most freeways (though my issue is currently next to the 57). But quite a few other areas seem to be sparse, at least the areas I visit. Vast parts of Anaheim (not near Disneyland), Stanton, Garden Grove, Westminster, and Huntington Beach. As I might have noted earlier, I will be moving to the north-east section of HB in a few weeks. Have been on 3G every time I checked. It's weak enough that stepping into a store dumped me into roaming.

You don't have access to B41 on a Note 2 which I am connected to 50% of the time when I am in Los Angeles.  Can highly recommend you test driving a Spark device and if your not satisfied returned the phone within 14 days.  B25 is not great in So-Cal because of lack B26.  B25 is weak and B41 covers most of the gaps so far.  Won't see B26 until later this year or early next year.

I drive up and down the 405 towards the airport from San Diego, I drop to 3G in some spots in Long Beach because lack of B25 on those sites.  But other than that, I see more B41 than B25.

• Like 1

Band 41 has really improved my experience with Sprint. Before, on the S4, it would be 50% 3G and 50% 4G. Super frustrating.

With the S6E, it is now 85% 4G and 15% 3G.

At strong B41 sites, Sprint is faster than AT&T. But Sprint is still less reliable and have less 4G coverage than AT&T. Hopefully B26 will equalize Sprint to AT&T.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was mistaken if this is the case. Do you know of a reason for it? Seems like a step backwards.

SvLTE requires separate CDMA and LTE radios. That was necessary back when there weren't any modems that supported both LTE and CDMA. You had two radios running all the time, with twice the battery consumption.

Since then, we have combined CDMA/LTE radios, which only operate on one or the other at a time. This increases battery life, but at the expense of SVLTE

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SvLTE requires separate CDMA and LTE radios. That was necessary back when there weren't any modems that supported both LTE and CDMA. You had two radios running all the time, with twice the battery consumption.

Since then, we have combined CDMA/LTE radios, which only operate on one or the other at a time. This increases battery life, but at the expense of SVLTE

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's also a stepping stone for VoLTE. 

• Like 1

You don't have access to B41 on a Note 2 which I am connected to 50% of the time when I am in Los Angeles.  Can highly recommend you test driving a Spark device and if your not satisfied returned the phone within 14 days.  B25 is not great in So-Cal because of lack B26.  B25 is weak and B41 covers most of the gaps so far.  Won't see B26 until later this year or early next year.

I drive up and down the 405 towards the airport from San Diego, I drop to 3G in some spots in Long Beach because lack of B25 on those sites.  But other than that, I see more B41 than B25.

So in order to get an adequate signal, I have to continually update my phone (like it seems you do). I'll admit that the note 2 is a bit older, but there is no reason Sprint can't support devices they sell. 

I've had reception issues non-stop with Sprint, regardless of phone. It looks like it's not the device, tower, or bandwidth. Clearly it's Sprint.

I appreciate the response, and understand where you're coming from. But I'm not signing any new contracts with Sprint until I see proper support. Not just reception, but CS and other aspects. Probably time to move on anyways, considering I get .30m down where I'm moving, and my support experience has been the worst of any company yet.

So in order to get an adequate signal, I have to continually update my phone (like it seems you do). I'll admit that the note 2 is a bit older, but there is no reason Sprint can't support devices they sell. 

I've had reception issues non-stop with Sprint, regardless of phone. It looks like it's not the device, tower, or bandwidth. Clearly it's Sprint.

I appreciate the response, and understand where you're coming from. But I'm not signing any new contracts with Sprint until I see proper support. Not just reception, but CS and other aspects. Probably time to move on anyways, considering I get .30m down where I'm moving, and my support experience has been the worst of any company yet.

If you had a handset as old as your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on VZW, you would lack band 2 and/or band 4.  On AT&T, you would lack carrier aggregation, band 29, and band 30.  On T-Mobile, you would lack band 2 and/or band 12.

So, do not turn this band support and upgrade thing into a Sprint issue.  No, the issue is mostly with you and your situation.  And it sounds like Sprint is not the right provider for you.  Move on.  We wish you the best.

AJ

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

The tower near pageant of the arts on the 133 next to Laguna Beach has B25 LTE turned on. It is much appreciated as that was a very slow tower previously due to being overloaded. Plus, for all the festivals happening, it will make for a much better user experience.

• Like 3

They fixed the tower issue in Aliso Viejo. Unfortunately they fixed it by disabling the B41 for now. The problems started once they enabled it in the first place though so the fix made sense. The problem was a fall back to 3g or no signal when close to the tower and the dropping of calls. It took about 3 weeks for sprint to fix with no sprint care calls from me so I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

I was yesterday all day in LA and OC and I was able without buffering to watch CNN on my Comcast app. Network was working perfectly along the I-10, I-605, I-105, I-5 and Toll Roads 133, 241, 261.

I would be impressed if that is the original EVO LTE?

• Like 1

Can't wait to get the new nexus 5x. I noticed I was on the second one carrier of B41 multiple times today! Luckily, that means I had greats speeds of near 50mbps even with carrier aggregation. This doesn't mean the issues I have been experiencing in OC in the past 3 months are over though as I frequently stay on 3g the majority of the time even with LTE available.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone observed 2xCA in OC yet? If so which areas?

Yes, in Orange at Tustin & Katella in the CVS parking lot. Got download speed of 82.19 Mbps!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What's the max speed on 2xCA? I've hit 70 Mbps before when I was at school at CSUF. I was on the south side of campus and using my nexus 6.

I have seen 100+ Mbps speedtests with 2xCA.

What's the max speed on 2xCA? I've hit 70 Mbps before when I was at school at CSUF. I was on the south side of campus and using my nexus 6.

Theoretically its about 160mbs, the highest I've seen reported was about 145mbs..