Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

Looks like the 2nd carrier for B41 is beginning to show up in Orange County. See attached screenshot, noticed this as I was exiting the 5 freeway at Culver in Irvine earlier this evening.

Since I'm on Project Fi now, I don't run speed tests anymore, but I'm sure this 2nd carrier is plenty fast. I'm actually rarely connected to Sprint these days (I'd say 85% T-Mobile, 15% Sprint)...but more importantly, I stay connected to LTE 100% in all places I frequent and data works plenty fast for what I need it for.

Screenshot_20151108-181452.png

• Like 3

Looks like the 2nd carrier for B41 is beginning to show up in Orange County. See attached screenshot, noticed this as I was exiting the 5 freeway at Culver in Irvine earlier this evening.

Since I'm on Project Fi now, I don't run speed tests anymore, but I'm sure this 2nd carrier is plenty fast. I'm actually rarely connected to Sprint these days (I'd say 85% T-Mobile, 15% Sprint)...but more importantly, I stay connected to LTE 100% in all places I frequent and data works plenty fast for what I need it for.

What's that Sprint icon on the notification bar? 

What's that Sprint icon on the notification bar? 

It's from the Fi Spy app which someone made for Project Fi users. It shows which network you're on (Sprint or T-Mobile) and gives the ability to force a switch to either network. I haven't forced a switch (just to test it out) since I first downloaded the app since the automatic switching works good for me, but it's nice to see which network I'm on in the notification bar.

Noticed a 2nd carrier on my N6 near the Fullerton Airport. Closer to Beach Blvd. Sorry for the newb question but does the B41^2 mean I'm in an area with CA and just need a compatible device?

Also did a speed test and got around 17 megs before killing the app. I don't like to let the speed test complete when testing the Sprint network so I don't cause congestion. I usually kill the Ookla  after 4-5 when the speed tops off.

Edited by HTCandroid

Noticed a 2nd carrier on my N6 near the Fullerton Airport. Closer to Beach Blvd. Sorry for the newb question but does the B41^2 mean I'm in an area with CA and just need a compatible device?

Also did a speed test and got around 17 megs before killing the app. I don't like to let the speed test complete when testing the Sprint network so I don't cause congestion. I usually kill the Ookla  after 4-5 when the speed tops off.

If the second carrier is live, most likely CA is also live. Sometimes there is a delay between the two, but not more than a couple weeks.

B42? That's different.

B41^2, not B42.

If the second carrier is live, most likely CA is also live. Sometimes there is a delay between the two, but not more than a couple weeks.

B41^2, not B42.

B42? That's different.

Interesting. Damn, another awesome reason to buy the 6P, I'm trying not to spoil myself since my N6 is perfectly fine...

I did mess up and originally typed 42. I fixed it after itsrobert pointed it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Good and bad news in OC.

First with the good news. Multiple B25 carriers are now coming online! I found two instances on interstate 405. On near the Culver exit and one near the 133.

For the bad news, it seems that that great experience we were having for a few weeks is not quite as good. For a few weeks the phone would prefer B41 and now it is back to preferring B25 unless you are really close to the tower.

Good and bad news in OC.

First with the good news. Multiple B25 carriers are now coming online! I found two instances on interstate 405. On near the Culver exit and one near the 133.

For the bad news, it seems that that great experience we were having for a few weeks is not quite as good. For a few weeks the phone would prefer B41 and now it is back to preferring B25 unless you are really close to the tower.

Noticing the exact same thing as you in the yorba linda/placentia area (north OC)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been seeing much improved B25 performance in Brea. I'm assuming that it is due to multiple B25 carriers, but I'm getting LTE in places that I haven't seen it for years. Initially I thought that maybe it was due to more people being out on vacation in the business park, so I held off on judging the performance, but it's been over a week and B25 is still going strong.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am able to get LTE at my desk today. (Laguna Niguel) Not sure it is because of people out for the holiday. I have picked it up in other areas of the building before, but until today never at my desk. Also, more than one LTE 1900 right now. uploadfromtaptalk1450713772515.png

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am able to get LTE at my desk today. (Laguna Niguel) Not sure it is because of people out for the holiday. I have picked it up in other areas of the building before, but until today never at my desk. Also, more than one LTE 1900 right now. attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-12-21-07-58-52.png

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Just stepped into the office and my Moto X Pure was able to hold  LTE 41 Clearwire inside the building, now i'm on 3G. I remember being connected with my Moto X 2014 from Republic to LTE 41. But Sprint is definitely getting better. I love it.

• Like 3

Sprint is definitely doing some optimization here in LA/OC. I've seen boom lifts at 5 different sites on my commute in the past month that have already been upgraded previously, including my home tower in Fullerton. I've been picking up B25 on my phone in areas where normally I'd drop to EVDO. I like it, I like it a lot.

2f0d1d06b7c981250324449e236d58f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Sprint is definitely doing some optimization here in LA/OC. I've seen boom lifts at 5 different sites on my commute in the past month that have already been upgraded previously, including my home tower in Fullerton. I've been picking up B25 on my phone in areas where normally I'd drop to EVDO. I like it, I like it a lot.

Did these sites previously have 800 RRUs, or is that new?

Four of the five sites already had the 800 RRUs and were west of the 605 freeway, as most sites east of the 605 do not have the 800 RRU's except for sites upgraded within the past few months (I'm guessing the San Bernardino County rebanding issue). The pictured site (Fullerton) was upgraded to full NV 1.0 including the 800 RRUs a few months ago, along with another site about 2 miles west (La Habra). Both of those sites are roughly 10-12 miles into the exclusion zone. I have not seen 800 RRU's added to any of the other previously upgraded sites in the exclusion zone yet. Another site I have not yet mentioned just received 8T8R last month. Lots of activity here.

Just stepped into the office and my Moto X Pure was able to hold  LTE 41 Clearwire inside the building, now i'm on 3G. I remember being connected with my Moto X 2014 from Republic to LTE 41.

Yes, my opinion is that the 2015 Moto X, while good, is not quite as strong an RF performer as the 2014 Moto X.

AJ

I too have noticed a better connection with Sprint, especially over the past few days or so. I'm on Project Fi and would pretty much be on T-Mobile 90% of the time, but I've now seen myself connected to Sprint LTE in different areas. One instance is at my gym, where it's now able to hold onto a usable Sprint LTE signal inside...it used to drop to 3G that was pretty much unusable. My phone typically will eventually switch to T-Mobile since the signal strength is much stronger, but it is nice seeing Sprint LTE inside on band 25.

• 2 months later...

Sprint has been so good lately on my S6E that I hardly find myself using the Nexus 5X on AT&T as a backup device for when I need data. Back when I carried a Galaxy S4 & the Nexus 5, phone usage was split 60% S4 and 40% Nexus 5. With my S6E and N5X combo, it's 90% S6E and 10% N5X.

With pure android boring for me & the N5X being a general disappointment, I think I'll just sell the N5X and use it toward the 2016 Nexus later.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Nice. They have plenty of LTE gaps all across SoCal. I just hope this added block but moreso then reband issue with San Bernadino is cleared up this year. It's becoming a headache with the holdup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. They have plenty of LTE gaps all across SoCal. I just hope this added block but moreso then reband issue with San Bernadino is cleared up this year. It's becoming a headache with the holdup.

I'm not sure I follow. What added block? 

They swapped spectrum with TMobile or AT&T on the pcs spectrum was wondering if they would implement 10X10mhz for Orange County or is that what the 2nd carrier that everyone's been noticing lately in relation to it.