iPhone 5 signal fluctuates and drops 3G

a13z

I have the signal meter set to display the dBm reading of my Sprint iPhone 5 connection. My phone appears to oscillate between two signal states. One is a strong connection which reads anywhere from -70 dBm to -91 dBM, and the other is worse, often showing -106 dBm. What bothers me is that it will oscillate between these two states while sitting in the same spot on my desk. It also sometimes drops 3G connection when cycling to the worse signal state, and data transfer speeds are much worse.

My wife's iPhone 4S (iOS 6) displays a relatively consistent signal while sitting on the same desk and outside in use. It never oscillates or cycles as my iP5 does. Moreover, the iP4S signal is always -1 or -2 dBm better than the iP5 even in its better state.

Are you experiencing similar signal cycles? I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with this unit's antenna or chip. When I first got it, it wouldn't hold a 3G connection for more than a second. Now it holds the 3G signal better, but has this oscillating or cycling problem. What should I look for in the Field Test panel to investigate this further?

I've tried resetting network connections, tried doing a data profile update, tried resetting and restoring, I even tried activating a new ICCID sim card (which had no effect, went back to my original one). This is a replacement unit (bad bluetooth module on the first one), and I hate to be "that guy" going back again, but this is bothering me. Thanks!

It might be that you are on the edge of 2 different sectors or towers. My Viper will oscillate like that in certain spots in my home and I noticed that my phone switches sectors on me.

• Like 1

Right. I'm just worried that maybe this particular unit has weak reception issues maybe I should take it back.

Is the BaseID listed in the 1x section the indicator if which tower I'm connected to? I can keep an eye on that to see how it compares to the iP4S. Thanks for the replies!

I have the signal meter set to display the dBm reading of my Sprint iPhone 5 connection. My phone appears to oscillate between two signal states. One is a strong connection which reads anywhere from -70 dBm to -91 dBM, and the other is worse, often showing -106 dBm. What bothers me is that it will oscillate between these two states while sitting in the same spot on my desk. It also sometimes drops 3G connection when cycling to the worse signal state, and data transfer speeds are much worse.

My wife's iPhone 4S (iOS 6) displays a relatively consistent signal while sitting on the same desk and outside in use. It never oscillates or cycles as my iP5 does. Moreover, the iP4S signal is always -1 or -2 dBm better than the iP5 even in its better state.

Are you experiencing similar signal cycles? I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with this unit's antenna or chip. When I first got it, it wouldn't hold a 3G connection for more than a second. Now it holds the 3G signal better, but has this oscillating or cycling problem. What should I look for in the Field Test panel to investigate this further?

I've tried resetting network connections, tried doing a data profile update, tried resetting and restoring, I even tried activating a new ICCID sim card (which had no effect, went back to my original one). This is a replacement unit (bad bluetooth module on the first one), and I hate to be "that guy" going back again, but this is bothering me. Thanks!

Do you have to be jailbroken to get the dBm reading to always show?

No.

After you have field test loaded, hold down the power button until you get the lock screen, then push the home button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not lock screen, the power off slider.

MacinJosh, are you saying to power off the phone to get the numeric signal strength to stay..?

No, from the Field Test, when you hold down power, you'll get the power down slider screen. Don't power down. Hold down the home key and you'll eventually get to the home screen and have numerical signal strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It basically force quits the field test app. You can check the phone's error logs and see that if you do it enough times, force quitting the field test app populates quite a few logs.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone get a solution to this problem? I have noticed my phone going back and forth from 3G to o and then back to 3G causing me to lose internet often. I have called Sprint and all they do is reset network setting and then wipe eveything. I've done both and neither helps the problem. Still loses connection. Any resolution?

Did anyone get a solution to this problem? I have noticed my phone going back and forth from 3G to o and then back to 3G causing me to lose internet often. I have called Sprint and all they do is reset network setting and then wipe eveything. I've done both and neither helps the problem. Still loses connection. Any resolution?

This happened to me for a month before getting LTE. Hasn't happened since

I saw this and wanted to chime in on something I ran into last weekend that kind of surprised me. We ate at a place called the Convention Grill in Edina (great burger place that's been around since the 1930s).

But it has the worst Sprint reception of any place I frequent and rarely use my phone there. But, I took my iPhone case off and all of a sudden my reception was noticeably better and I could actually use the phone. I went from -112dbm to -116dbm to -80-ish which wasn't great but it was better.

The case I have is a Ventev which is made out of a kind of moulded silicone rubber that I like for its protective capability. I'm aware cases can attenuate signal but I was shocked at how much it was attenuating the signal.

It possibly is also coloring my experience with LTE and non-LTE signals as well. I'm going to head to a place where I was unable to get LTE later today where I know LTE signals have been seen on Sensorly. Might be interesting to see "case on" and "case off" differences.

I find the case doing that much signal cut hard to believe. Unless that case is a faraday cage in disguise.

Element Case makes aluminum cases for iPhone that are basically faraday cages. I had so many problems with mine on my iPhone 4 that I stopped using the cover.

My phone does this too. I noticed that when I turn "Enable LTE" off in Settings, it stops fluctuating between 3G and o and stays on 3G. So probably related to the phone occasionally scanning for LTE when the setting is enabled and jumping back to 3G when no LTE service is found? It only shows the o for a second or two before returning to 3G.

Edited by besiktas

iPhone 4 wasn't working properly? I'm sure you were holding it wrong. ;)

That wasn't the problem. After I put the full Zagg Invisible Shield on the front, back, & sides, it actually stopped the AntennaGate problem for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem too, and when it drops my 3G to o, I lose basically all connectivity. Fortunately no dropped calls at all yet but as for data (for me data>text>voice) it's extremely annoying for this to happen (when I'm just about to submit forms, it occurs and I have to fill it out again). Also, my texts will declare that it's not sent and it will either send itself a few minutes later, or not send at all. I have no idea of knowing so my contacts often get multiple copies of the same text :P