Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

Happy to report my first LTE connection in central Asheville, NC, near Mission hospital, Biltmore Ave, and the Kenilworth neighborhood.

Nice, looks like a second blip showed up right by the hospital. I guess you'll be the Asheville mapper, heheh...

Looks like LTE stretches a good 14 miles down I-40 from Statesville to almost Claremont and there's a blip in Granite Falls now too. Also a stretch on Hwy 74 between Monroe and Indian trail.

• Like 1

So close to my home in Conover but so far away. I traveled that stretch of I-40 last night with Sensorly running, but I'm not sure that was me as it didn't show on the map until today. Also, along that stretch between Claremont and Statesville, my 1X/EVDO signal was so bad (no bars at times) that I'm surprised I didn't switch to roaming. Either Sprint has some panels down or my EVO 4G LTE is messed up (unlikely). I realize that is hilly terrain, but there are plenty of towers Sprint should consider co-locating along that stretch. Claremont (Exit 135) needs a Microcell mounted on top of the Super 8 Hotel to cover that stretch of I-40 and that area. It is practically a dead zone as the signal is extraordinarily bad outdoors and completely lost if you go indoors, like at Boxcar Grille or Lowe's Foods.

I understand about being so close yet so far away. I work off Harris and 85 and LTE is 2-3 miles away from there in TWO different directions now. Maybe if you called Sprint enough about service and pressed them to send enough to send it to be checked for a field survey, they may just do something like that? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

unccjester, I have a CMTS ticket already open for extraordinarily slow data speeds at my place of work in Hickory. Perhaps I can mention this when I call back for further "troubleshooting" tomorrow. They want to get more info from the debug screen on my phone, but it has to be lack of capacity at the surrounding two towers.

Nice, looks like a second blip showed up right by the hospital. I guess you'll be the Asheville mapper, heheh...

Looks like LTE stretches a good 14 miles down I-40 from Statesville to almost Claremont and there's a blip in Granite Falls now too. Also a stretch on Hwy 74 between Monroe and Indian trail.

I see a new spot popped up on Sensorly in Granite Falls today. Way to go Sprint! Is it safe to say that: CR03AW146 and CR04AW123 are 4G complete?

Those new spots (circled in red below) are courtesy of me B) Went from Huntersville, NC to Boone, NC and back. Was constantly cycling airplane mode to see where LTE was the entire trip.

8442765119_059f9732bb.jpg

Sprint LTE Mapping (02/03/13) by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

• Like 2

Those new spots (circled in red below) are courtesy of me B) Went from Huntersville, NC to Boone, NC and back. Was constantly cycling airplane mode to see where LTE was the entire trip.

Nice, did either of those 2 areas come up without you having to cycle airplane mode? It's so goofy that many of us have to do that. :wacko:

Nice, did either of those 2 areas come up without you having to cycle airplane mode? It's so goofy that many of us have to do that. :wacko:

Cycling airplane mode is just a way to get the phone to re-scan for an LTE signal. There is a pretty good amount of time between scans, especially if your phone hasn't picked up LTE in the area before, so if you are in the middle between scans, it can take the phone a while to pick up LTE. If you held still long enough, it would pick it up as long as the signal is strong enough. If it is a weak signal, no amount of toggling airplane mode will make you connect to it. As LTE is more widespread, and you don't move in and out of coverage all the time, it will become a non-issue.

Cycling airplane mode is just a way to get the phone to re-scan for an LTE signal. There is a pretty good amount of time between scans, especially if your phone hasn't picked up LTE in the area before, so if you are in the middle between scans, it can take the phone a while to pick up LTE. If you held still long enough, it would pick it up as long as the signal is strong enough. If it is a weak signal, no amount of toggling airplane mode will make you connect to it. As LTE is more widespread, and you don't move in and out of coverage all the time, it will become a non-issue.

Ahh yes, that makes sense, just forgot about the whole 5 minute LTE scan timer setting. Honestly, I'd just go into the dialer menu on edit mode and push my LTE Scan Timer to 1 (minute) so that I wouldn't have to cycle airplane mode on a new trip, then move it back to 5 when I'm done. B) That'd take up less battery power since there would be less interaction with the phone.

Looks like Asheville's lighting up nicely! I zoomed in quite a bit and there are three different areas that have been mapped:

• The area by the hospital in central Asheville
  • College St / Tunnel Rd / 694
  • Merrimon Ave / W T Weaver Blvd

Looks like Old Concord Rd, Grier Rd, and Plaza Ext. out to Harris Blvd have all been filled in now too. Harris Blvd along Hwy 21 and I-77 have been filled in as well. Looks like the tower for that area is showing as in progress. The latest map update in the Sponsor section shows a TON of newly added In-Progress sites all over our market! :tu: I wasn't expecting that many to be started on at this point.

• Like 1

Next time you're out there, would you mind using NetMonitor or something similar to see what tower you're connecting to on the map tab? I'm curious to see just how far off that Note 2 of your's is reaching, since there's no tower in the very immediate vicinity that's in progress. I'll do the same if I run by there.

Funny you mapped Hudspeth Rd - that was part of my cheesewagon route over 17 years ago. :lol:

Next time you're out there, would you mind using NetMonitor or something similar to see what tower you're connecting to on the map tab? I'm curious to see just how far off that Note 2 of your's is reaching, since there's no tower in the very immediate vicinity that's in progress. I'll do the same if I run by there.

Funny you mapped Hudspeth Rd - that was part of my cheesewagon route over 17 years ago. :lol:

Keep in mind there is no app currently that reliable gives the location of the tower you are connected to. And even when they do get it right, they are showing the 1x tower you are connected to, and not necessarily the LTE tower.

Keep in mind there is no app currently that reliable gives the location of the tower you are connected to. And even when they do get it right, they are showing the 1x tower you are connected to, and not necessarily the LTE tower.

True on the 1x vs. LTE, but NetMonitor seems to map out the 3 towers nearest to me dead on vs. Rob's interactive NV maps. I can see where it might not work all the time, but it's got at least those three down pat.

If you look at the Interactive Sponsor NV maps, I'm having a hard time fathoming the tower that feeds the edge of Harrisburg reaching all the way up to the Speedway area.

Well, after using the maps lab distance measurement tool, I suppose it's possible to hit that tower over by Reedy Creek Park (since it's already mapped on Sensorly). It's about 4.6 miles over air to the corner of Hudspeth Rd. and over 5.3 miles to the edge of where ke.morris mapped on Sensorly. That's really impressive!

True on the 1x vs. LTE, but NetMonitor seems to map out the 3 towers nearest to me dead on vs. Rob's interactive NV maps. I can see where it might not work all the time, but it's got at least those three down pat.

If you look at the Interactive Sponsor NV maps, I'm having a hard time fathoming the tower that feeds the edge of Harrisburg reaching all the way up to the Speedway area.

Well, after using the maps lab distance measurement tool, I suppose it's possible to hit that tower over by Reedy Creek Park (since it's already mapped on Sensorly). It's about 4.6 miles over air to the corner of Hudspeth Rd. and over 5.3 miles to the edge of where ke.morris mapped on Sensorly. That's really impressive!

In about 1/2 of Sprint markets, NetMonitor will be accurate for 1x site locations. But it doesn't ever show LTE locations, unless you just coincidentally are connected to the same 1x and LTE site.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

In about 1/2 of Sprint markets, NetMonitor will be accurate for 1x site locations. But it doesn't ever show LTE locations, unless you just coincidentally are connected to the same 1x and LTE site.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Oh, so you can be connected to one site for 4G and another for 1X at the same time? I'm assuming by this that 4G doesn't carry voice/text, only data, whereas 1X/3G towers carry everything? I've also seen the 3G/4G towers, which I'm also assuming carry everything because of the previous sentence?

Also, how far do you think a 4G tower could carry its signal in mileage over the air, more or less, given not too much interference and towers, such as in downtown/uptown areas?

Oh, so you can be connected to one site for 4G and another for 1X at the same time? I'm assuming by this that 4G doesn't carry voice/text, only data, whereas 1X/3G towers carry everything? I've also seen the 3G/4G towers, which I'm also assuming carry everything because of the previous sentence?

Also, how far do you think a 4G tower could carry its signal in mileage over the air, more or less, given not too much interference and towers, such as in downtown/uptown areas?

Every tower broadcasts 1xRTT (Voice) EVDO (Data) and eventually LTE (Data) and 800 1xRTT (Voice).

Towers that have legacy equipment are only broadcasting 3G Voice and Data. NV Towers that have complete NV upgrades are broadcasting 3G Voice and Data, plus 4G data, and 800 Voice. You can be simultaneously connected to one tower for voice, and a completely separate tower for data.

Under ideal conditions, LTE can travel 10+ miles from the towers. Generally, this is in more rural locations, but it's not surprising at all to pick up LTE 5 miles from the tower. In more populated areas, the downtilt on the panels shrink the coverage of the cell so that more sites can be packed in to maximize capacity.

• Like 2