Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

Guest VestaviaPirate

Vestavia are you talking LTE or Wimax?

LTE. I am under the impression that my phone (S III) doesn't have WiMax. I remember researching it when I came from the Evo 3D.

Guest VestaviaPirate

I even got a LTE signal inside the Harris-Teeter at Cottswold.... I then drove north on Randolph and got LTE to Wendover....

The LTE seems pretty strong at Cotswold. It goes south all the way to Sardis Rd., and seemingly tappers out around Wendover as you go down the hill towards Grier Heights/Elizabeth/Eastover. Good looking out!

I tried driving through the neighborhoods around Cotswald to "map" it, but the purple signal doesn't seem to have covered where I went. Is Sensorly an app that has to have confirmation before it updates the coverage?

LTE. I am under the impression that my phone (S III) doesn't have WiMax. I remember researching it when I came from the Evo 3D.

Yes that's correct, S III is LTE not Wimax.

I have noticed poor handoffs in the Elizabeth area too, but I'm still on Wimax. My impression is it ought to be much better on LTE. So I hope your experience is just temporary glitches while they are doing the upgrades.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Guest VestaviaPirate

Yes that's correct, S III is LTE not Wimax.

I have noticed poor handoffs in the Elizabeth area too, but I'm still on Wimax. My impression is it ought to be much better on LTE. So I hope your experience is just temporary glitches while they are doing the upgrades.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

hopefully you are right, about the handoff thing. I will do more testing this week as I'm still off from work.

do you know why sensorly wouldn't put my "findings" on their coverage maps?

I tried driving through the neighborhoods around Cotswald to "map" it, but the purple signal doesn't seem to have covered where I went. Is Sensorly an app that has to have confirmation before it updates the coverage?

Ive noticed that sometimes I had to zoom in a little to first see new areas I have mapped but after awhile it will start showing up at the normal viewing level when you first log on. Speaking of Sensorly, looks like somebody mapped a nice little run through Mint Hill on 51 up to Albemarle Rd. Its good to see LTE showing up outside the 485 loop on the east side of town, now if they would just swing by Indian Trail.... :tu:

Ive noticed that sometimes I had to zoom in a little to first see new areas I have mapped but after awhile it will start showing up at the normal viewing level when you first log on. Speaking of Sensorly, looks like somebody mapped a nice little run through Mint Hill on 51 up to Albemarle Rd. Its good to see LTE showing up outside the 485 loop on the east side of town, now if they would just swing by Indian Trail.... :tu:

I was able to map that run yesterday. In the center of Mint Hill I got a speed test of 17.5 down, 2.4 up. My husband said the 3g on his phone was very usable there as well which is not normal. I also saw much better cell signal, I usually drop to 1 to 2 bars there. Are the NV upgrades going to improve that as well?

I should have filled in the rest of Albemarle road from 51 to just after merging onto Independence this morning . It used to stop just after Sharon Amity!

I have also noticed Sensorly only showing my newly mapped areas when I zoom in, maybe for up to 24 hours or so.

• Like 1

LTE handoff to other LTE sites is smooth as silk. LTE handoff to 3G EVDO is usually pretty good. 3G EVDO to LTE handoff is more of a problem. My device testing doesn't want to do that with an active data stream.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

LTE handoff to other LTE sites is smooth as silk. LTE handoff to 3G EVDO is usually pretty good. 3G EVDO to LTE handoff is more of a problem. My device testing doesn't want to do that with an active data stream.

Have you experienced the device hanging onto a LTE signal and it not be useable ? I've noticed this a couple of times coming from the tower close to my work and leaving the area, it just seems to hang onto LTE even when it seems that there would be no way it could still be connected to that tower. In fact I pass right by another tower and am approaching a second one before it will let go of the LTE signal. I know going into the area in the morning it doesnt connect anywhere close to where it hangs onto it and when it does conect it is very usable. The S3 seems to be very good at aquiring and holding onto a weak LTE signal. Is this an early deployment issue or just a device issue ?

Have you experienced the device hanging onto a LTE signal and it not be useable ? I've noticed this a couple of times coming from the tower close to my work and leaving the area, it just seems to hang onto LTE even when it seems that there would be no way it could still be connected to that tower. In fact I pass right by another tower and am approaching a second one before it will let go of the LTE signal. I know going into the area in the morning it doesnt connect anywhere close to where it hangs onto it and when it does conect it is very usable. The S3 seems to be very good at aquiring and holding onto a weak LTE signal. Is this an early deployment issue or just a device issue ?

I have not had that specific issue. I did once have an issue on the Note 2 in Wichita Falls where it was taking longer to transfer to the next LTE site than I would prefer.

For instance, I was connected to Site A, then started driving toward Site B. Normally, about 2/3 of the way between Site A and Site B, I should have been switched over to the next site. However, it would not switch over to Site B until I ran out of signal, around -120dBm. I may even be at or past Site B by the time it would disconnect from Site A. Then my signal would shoot up from -120 to -80dBm, instantly.

However, the very next day I did not have the issue. The difference between testing those two days was RootMetrics. I was running RootMetrics testing the first day, and the second day I wasn't. RootMetrics is a constant data stream. And having streaming data probably causes the network to try to preserve your connection as long as possible to the original site. At least that's my guess. The second day I was using Sensorly. But if you are just using Sensorly for mapping, it does not stream data constantly. It saves the info locally and only sends the data to its server when you hit Stop on the mapping or when you are connected to WiFi. Depending on your settings.

Looks like a streak has been mapped on Graham St around Atando Ave and another one on Hwy 51 (west side of town) from 485 to Rea Rd. I hadn't noticed those before.

DJW39, you probably won't see any relief on speeds until LTE drops in downtown. Once more people hop on that, I'm sure there will be better 3G speeds.

Edited by unccjester

On New Year's Day I was able to keep an LTE signal on Providence Rd from Sharon Amity south up until you get to the Arboretum Apartments.

That's the first time it's held the LTE signal all the way through without dropping back to EVDO. I look forward to seeing if these changes can fix the horrible coverage in the Arboretum. Hopefully that tower will be next.

I'm working downtown Charlotte now in the Bank of America building that is connected to Overstreet mall and I was getting LTE on my iPhone while I was in a corner office on the 28th floor. Maybe they are working on more in downtown now.

They might be. However, when you are up that high it is really hard to say where the signal is coming from.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

They might be. However, when you are up that high it is really hard to say where the signal is coming from.

That's like that blip in 3rd Ward in downtown Charlotte. It's probably someone on a high floor in one of the many towers in that area picking up off the I-77, because it's been there a while. I did that very same thing from the 9th floor of the Marriott in Towson, MD when I couldn't get it on the street in front of the hotel. It basically created a false positive, technically speaking.

Well I walked out of my building in the middle of Charlotte (Trade & Tryon St) and got a LTE signal. It was a weak one (1 and 2 bars) and didn't last long, but still had one. So I am just hoping for positive signs like that one to keep popping up. 1 bar of LTE is better than full 3g signal.

Well I walked out of my building in the middle of Charlotte (Trade & Tryon St) and got a LTE signal. It was a weak one (1 and 2 bars) and didn't last long, but still had one. So I am just hoping for positive signs like that one to keep popping up. 1 bar of LTE is better than full 3g signal.

Woot! I work at BOA corporate center which is the most important spot for me to have LTE

Typed with Swiftkey flow beta

Woot! I work at BOA corporate center which is the most important spot for me to have LTE

Yeah I have never pulled a Wimax signal inside the corp ctr though it works great in some other buildings. But definitely need to get LTE inside there.

Well, you could go into the *#*#4636#*#* menu, then Phone Info, and "Set Preferred Network Type" from "CDMA+LTE/EvDo auto" to "LTE Only" and see what you get forced to your phone for grins where you did get LTE. :) Another option would be LTE+CDMA, but that will only give you 1xRTT, not 3G, if there's no LTE. Just remember to switch back at some point, heheh...

4G popped up for a moment today uptown at Trade and Tryon. I'm not sure for how long. I only know because I have a Tasker profile that tells me.