Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

At least one tower in Mooresville has been in progress for at least 3 weeks now. Eagerly awaiting the switch being flipped. Was in Charlotte last night also, and it seemed that I had to keep toggling airplane mode to get continuous lte, but when it flipped to 3g it was full signal. I could get 3 bars max of let though, in the same spot. This confuses me. I thought they were the same as far as building penetration.

At least one tower in Mooresville has been in progress for at least 3 weeks now. Eagerly awaiting the switch being flipped. Was in Charlotte last night also, and it seemed that I had to keep toggling airplane mode to get continuous lte, but when it flipped to 3g it was full signal. I could get 3 bars max of let though, in the same spot. This confuses me. I thought they were the same as far as building penetration.

Remember, signal strength is ONLY for voice, not data. You can simultaneously be connected to one tower for 1X / 3G and another for LTE. There's another tower that's marked complete off 49 and 485 and I'm not convinced it's turned on. On a good note, it looks newly mapped areas on Sensorly include some of UNCC, IBM Drive, which ill be mapping more of, and it got really dark around Huntersville / Gilead Rd.

Anybody seen LTE in clover? I assume this is part of the Charlotte market.

If you gain access to the Sponsor maps, you'll know. ;) I wouldn't know for sure until I can check tonight, as that one map fights to load at work. :rolleyes:

Well, I mapped Hwy 29 halfway between 485 & Mallard Creek all the way up to Harris Blvd., across I-85, and down IBM drive a bit. I can get a RSRP of -90 / -100dBm outside my building, but not inside where I sit. That's SO dissapointing. I hope it's not long before they light that tower up here.

If you gain access to the Sponsor maps, you'll know. ;) I wouldn't know for sure until I can check tonight, as that one map fights to load at work. :rolleyes:

Well, I mapped Hwy 29 halfway between 485 & Mallard Creek all the way up to Harris Blvd., across I-85, and down IBM drive a bit. I can get a RSRP of -90 / -100dBm outside my building, but not inside where I sit. That's SO dissapointing. I hope it's not long before they light that tower up here.

I just noticed today that IBM drive and harris & 85 were on the map. I work at the Wells Fargo CIC building right there and still have no 4G, the closest 4G I've gotten to here is up 49 near 485, and a faint signal at my house. I really need them to get LTE up and running strong in my bldg, the slow 3G speeds are killing me!

I just noticed today that IBM drive and harris & 85 were on the map. I work at the Wells Fargo CIC building right there and still have no 4G, the closest 4G I've gotten to here is up 49 near 485, and a faint signal at my house. I really need them to get LTE up and running strong in my bldg, the slow 3G speeds are killing me!

I work there as well, although I guess that's pretty obvious from the map. :lol: I took a walk around the building this morning and you can catch it at least out front of 2 and 3 East, speeds are decent for the distance from the Mallard Creek / I-85 tower too, about 3-4Mbps down and 2-3 up. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat on Lync. If you have an EVO, you'll have to toggle airplane mode to catch it, most likely, which is ridiculous. :rolleyes: The tower behind CIC is getting killed because you have all the old IBM buildings on the other side of the creek, probably a couple thousand people in our building with Sprint (at least), Hewitt Associates, the apartments behind that, all the kiddies at Vance High, and all the people on I-85 clobbering it all day.

I had the urge to get out of the building and go to Shanes Rib Shack today, so I mapped a bit more over by Hwy 29, Harris, McCullough Dr, and over in the University City area out of boredom.

I'll have to walk around the outside of the bldg. and see if I can pick up some signal there. I worn in 3A2 and only get 3G here, and I got a great wimax signal when I had my old EVO 4G. I have a Galaxy SIII so I won't need to toggle airplane mode thank goodness. But I'll be reporting back as soon as I get LTE at my desk, and what a glorious day it will be.

I've now gotten LTE completely in the Elizaabeth area near the hospital and all the way over to outside my office on East Hawthorne in Plaza Midwood area.. I wonder when more sites are lit up in uptown whether Sprint will announce that Charlotte is a live city.. Maybe they have to get all of the interstates through town active???

• Like 2

I've now gotten LTE completely in the Elizaabeth area near the hospital and all the way over to outside my office on East Hawthorne in Plaza Midwood area.. I wonder when more sites are lit up in uptown whether Sprint will announce that Charlotte is a live city.. Maybe they have to get all of the interstates through town active???

Nice! Keep in mind, a market has to be 40-50% complete before Sprint will think about announcing it. They need to get more towers along the interstates and major roads lit up before they go doing that. As of 2/12, Charlotte is 24% done, although that number is probably closer to 25-30% now. They keep lighting up towers JUST out of reach of my house AND work! BAH! :lol:

On another positive note, Charlotte had the 2nd most updated towers on the NV Complete Sites map today at 83! :o

• Like 3

Excellent! I see you mapped it on Sensory, or perhaps someone else did. It's a shame that LTE has been accepted at the SE/SW Hickory and Newton, NC towers, but it isn't live yet. I'm having horrible issues with connecting to 3G/EVDO in Hickory. All I get on my EVO LTE is a 3G indicator with a stuck ^ up arrow indicator. It will not connect until I get to a legacy tower. It's really irritating.

3G is killing me. I use the maps app and navigation a lot even though I've been in CLT for 20 years. With 3G and good signal it still doesn't load the route info. With LTE and low signal it loads fast (2-3 seconds). I can't wait until all the towers are complete in Charlotte, and I'm hoping majority of the country is off 3G by the end of 2014.

• Like 1

Guest VestaviaPirate

How far south down S. Mint do you think the 4G reaches?

I live in Elizabeth now, and the 4G seems to be inching closer to my actual house everyday. I loose it about 100 yards from my door! :(

Now that I'm moving to Southend/Wilmore, I see the strong signal near the 77/277 interchange, but it seems to die pretty quickly... leading me to believe no one has explored/mapped that area yet.

Is this correct? :rolleyes:

Excellent! I see you mapped it on Sensory, or perhaps someone else did. It's a shame that LTE has been accepted at the SE/SW Hickory and Newton, NC towers, but it isn't live yet. I'm having horrible issues with connecting to 3G/EVDO in Hickory. All I get on my EVO LTE is a 3G indicator with a stuck ^ up arrow indicator. It will not connect until I get to a legacy tower. It's really irritating.

I did. I'll try to map more over the next couple of days. My 3G has been absolutely horrible up until yesterday, Not only has 4G started to appear but 3G speeds are much better.

• Like 1

Dumb question here.

How the heck are you finding the LTE in Charlotte. The last time I was up there. I turned on LTE and never got a signal. And I was everywhere, South Park to Uptown to Concord.

Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Dumb question here.

How the heck are you finding the LTE in Charlotte. The last time I was up there. I turned on LTE and never got a signal. And I was everywhere, South Park to Uptown to Concord.

Thanks.

When were you last up here? It's on and live most everywhere that we've mapped it on the Sensorly maps . Seems like it was turned off and on a couple times after people mapped CERTAIN towers, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore for the most part with the exception of Bill having accepted towers in Hickory/Newton and not finding it. We need more info to possibly help you. :) You shouldn't have to cycle airplane mode since you have a SGS3.

Finally! got an LTE signal at the Arboretum today for the first time. It was pathetic, speed-wise, but at least it was there.

Robert, should we see speeds increase as Sprint completes the roll-out? My Nexus 4 on TMO still kills Sprint's LTE speeds 9 times out of 10.

Finally! got an LTE signal at the Arboretum today for the first time. It was pathetic, speed-wise, but at least it was there.

Robert, should we see speeds increase as Sprint completes the roll-out? My Nexus 4 on TMO still kills Sprint's LTE speeds 9 times out of 10.

How strong was your LTE signal in RSRP? In my experience in Wichita Falls, Sprint LTE slaughtered Tmo HSPA+ and left it bleeding to death in the corner. I averaged 29Mbps on Sprint LTE, 18Mbps on Verizon LTE and 11Mbps on Tmo HSPA+ testing in fully deployed areas in my field testing.

Charlotte is nowhere even close to fully deployed. LTE performance is very closely tied to signal strength, and most Sprint devices do not show LTE signal strength in bars. You need to find out your RSRP. More info here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I was up in Charlotte last in the first week of February. Nothing ever showed up.

Probably a stupid question, but are you sure you're in CDMA/LTE mode? Make sure you're not in CDMA only mode... because that'd give you Turretts looking for 4G while there's a deployment going on. :lol:

Probably a stupid question, but are you sure you're in CDMA/LTE mode? Make sure you're not in CDMA only mode... because that'd give you Turretts looking for 4G while there's a deployment going on. :lol:

Yes, I did switch over to that.

When were you last up here? It's on and live most everywhere that we've mapped it on the Sensorly maps . Seems like it was turned off and on a couple times after people mapped CERTAIN towers, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore for the most part with the exception of Bill having accepted towers in Hickory/Newton and not finding it. We need more info to possibly help you. :) You shouldn't have to cycle airplane mode since you have a SGS3.

The other thing is are his settings on network correct??? need to be sure it is set to receive LTE as some earlier model GS3 were set to CDMA only... Going a certain way to work from my apt to office, I can be LTE all the way!!! I think when they fill in the LTE along I77 closer to uptown, Sprint will officially launch...