Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

Guest VestaviaPirate
Here is the link to the Sensorly map for Sprint 4G LTE mapped by whoever has run the app on their Android device (not compatible with iPhones yet): http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint Make sure to download the Sensorly app to your phone and help map out areas that haven't been mapped out yet! :tu: Sensorly is a user-based mapping app that's completely separate of S4GRU, but Sensorly and S4GRU are both very helpful to the community as a whole.

Yesterday I was a space cadet... I have used Sensorly for a while now, help mapped Elizabeth and Cotswold a month or two ago. I wasn't paying attention to what you were saying yesterday, or to what I was typing. Haha.

I guess I meant to ask for the Sponsor map as it pertains to CLT. Is it just the national map and then you zoom in, or is there one dedicated to possible/actual 4G towers in CLT?

But thanks for the help anyways!

• Like 1

Come on Hickory and Conover! I'm anxious since the towers listed in the Sponsor map as 3G/4G and 3G/4G/800 for Southern areas of Hickory and the site in Newton aren't Live yet. I guess they are simply "Accepted."

I'm not sure when it happened, but that one's marked on the Sponsor map too... maybe I just missed it because I wasn't paying attention to that area on the map. Wow, I just did the Google Maps Lab Beta distance measurement tool and that thing is blasting full 4G signal (darkest purple) just over 5 miles (over the air, not by road)!!! :blink: I did point A being the speedway, and point B on Hwy 49, just before 601 to get that. Even though there's virtually no interference out there, that's really impressive.

Relatively speaking, that tower SHOULD be able to reach down most of Hwy 200, maybe past 24/27 and it should be able to hit a decent amount of 24/27 back through Midland and Flowes Store Rd, depending on how the towers are aimed and all that, since much of that distance over the air is 3-6 miles away from the tower. I guess we'll find out where those panels are aimed here soon. :)

I was able to do some more driving around today. I think that the tower I was picking up was at 601 and 49. Its not on the sponsors map, but its the only one that makes sense. Was not able to pick anything up on 200 at 601, but started to come back as I got closer to 49.

Saw some 4G on 29 towards the speedway but it was very spotty.

Yesterday I was a space cadet... I have used Sensorly for a while now, help mapped Elizabeth and Cotswold a month or two ago. I wasn't paying attention to what you were saying yesterday, or to what I was typing. Haha.

I guess I meant to ask for the Sponsor map as it pertains to CLT. Is it just the national map and then you zoom in, or is there one dedicated to possible/actual 4G towers in CLT?

But thanks for the help anyways!

LOL, we're all space cadets at times man... :tu: Yep, I just use the national sponsor map and zoom in. The NC markets thread is just to discuss specific towers and questions about them as far as info that only sponsors would know, IMO...once it's been mapped on Sensorly, it's common sense / public knowledge at that point. :)

My coverage at trade and Tryon goes back and forth between 3g and 4g without me moving. Anyone have any ideas, speculations, info on towers uptown?

My assumption would be that you're right on the line of coverage. Go into Sensorly > Details...see what your RSRP is when you do have 4G...if it's -120dBm or more, then that's most likely it.

I was able to do some more driving around today. I think that the tower I was picking up was at 601 and 49. Its not on the sponsors map, but its the only one that makes sense. Was not able to pick anything up on 200 at 601, but started to come back as I got closer to 49.

Saw some 4G on 29 towards the speedway but it was very spotty.

I see a full-blown signal at Flowes Store & 601, all the way back to the intersection at Hwy 49 but nothing from that intersection heading down 601 to 200. I'd be curious to see how the signal fades or stays heading in the direction of the speedway. Are you still holding data to upload in Sensorly from when you went that way by chance?

You have a good point - using Google Maps Lab air distance tool, it's just over 4 miles from Flowes Store & 601 to the Speedway tower. I don't see FULL signal strength being carried quite THAT far, which could be good news for you! If the tower at Speedway Blvd hasn't been turned on (and depending on where the panels are aimed, it may just reach further out Miami Church Rd towards Mt. Pleasant Rd (4 1/4 miles over air) and maybe even up to Barrier Store, who knows!

I took a drive from Kannapolis to Mooresville earlier using 29A > 153 > 152 > 150 and mapped out a good section of 153 and 152 on Sensorly. I also found LTE on 150 in Mooresville, over by 77...looks like it should get stronger further down 150, heading towards the lake. I'm betting there's a good bit of coverage back down 152 towards Salisbury, but I have no reason to go that way - maybe someone else can grab that section.

I hope so for I have lost all LTE signals I had :( or sprint on newest radio I have not updated

Asheville and Satesville will be launched soon. They have been added to Sprint's official coverage maps.

I passed by the Charlotte Motor Speedway on 29 yesterday morning on my way into Charlotte and the tower near there must have panels pointed directly at it because I got over 21Mbps down and 6.6Mbps down! The RSRP soars up pretty quickly after Morehead Rd until I get near Mallard Creek, then it's solid the rest of the way to Harris Blvd.

• Like 1

Mapped tons of LTE on my way to Charlotte from work in Hartsville, SC. Picked it up not long after I had entered NC on US 601. Held the signal all the way through Monroe to Mineral Springs where I stopped! None of this existed 2 weeks ago! Nice progress Sprint!

I checked for permitting today for the tower about .5 miles from my house in Conover and bam! Permit applied for and issued today by Catawba County! http://inspector.cat...30307214533.htm

LOL @ "bam!"...Good job Emeril. :lol: Seriously though, that's a smart way of getting a timeframe on your tower...or at least knowing it's one step further. I just looked up Cabarrus County permitting with "Sprint" as the keyword search and NOTHING since 10/31/2012. :(

• Like 1

Mapped tons of LTE on my way to Charlotte from work in Hartsville, SC. Picked it up not long after I had entered NC on US 601. Held the signal all the way through Monroe to Mineral Springs where I stopped! None of this existed 2 weeks ago! Nice progress Sprint!

Heck, they were just accepted yesterday and Wednesday and were put on our maps today. :tu:

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just had my nephew map by concord mills up odell School rd all the way to Poplar Tent. Made the left towards west and lost it shortly after. Need the tower on the corner of harris rd and poplar tent to go live. It's been showing has in progress for 3 weeks now. Hopefully soon.

I was driving down George Liles Pkwy on the way to church this morning, looked at my phone and saw 4G! :D I took about 15 minutes afterwards to map George Liles, some of the Laurel Park neighborhood (runs between George Liles / Old Speedway Dr / Poplar Tent), Rock Hill Church Rd, and even a little on Hwy 29 out in front of the Arby's where it just barely reached.

I'm 95% percent sure the tower that's broadcasting is at the end of Old Speedway Dr. and I've attached a picture of it, since I went right by it. Can anyone tell which ones are Sprint's? I'm thinking they're the bottom ones, but I'm not sure.

The speeds are GREAT! I was getting over 22Mbps off George Liles and in Laurel Park! :tu:

I checked permitting again on Cabarrus County's website, but I still don't see anything really recent. :confused:

post-843-0-09451400-1362937272_thumb.jpg

I picked up a signal @ the Biglots on hwy 29 today and on Union cemetery rd on my way back to Charlotte. I believe the tower is between poplar tent and weddington

I was driving down George Liles Pkwy on the way to church this morning, looked at my phone and saw 4G! :D I took about 15 minutes afterwards to map George Liles, some of the Laurel Park neighborhood (runs between George Liles / Old Speedway Dr / Poplar Tent), Rock Hill Church Rd, and even a little on Hwy 29 out in front of the Arby's where it just barely reached.

I'm 95% percent sure the tower that's broadcasting is at the end of Old Speedway Dr. and I've attached a picture of it, since I went right by it. Can anyone tell which ones are Sprint's? I'm thinking they're the bottom ones, but I'm not sure.

The speeds are GREAT! I was getting over 22Mbps off George Liles and in Laurel Park! :tu:

I checked permitting again on Cabarrus County's website, but I still don't see anything really recent. :confused:

LTE is on in Hickory (Near I-40, Exit 126) as of this morning. Inside, I'm at -100db and getting 95ms ping, 7147kbps Down and 4942 Up. Should be showing up on Sensorly this morning. That purple blip is my place of work. I'm very, very happy!

• Like 2

Looks like west of Albemarle and right around Wadesboro have popped up on Sensorly. Mt. Pleasant Rd out by Hwy 200 has popped up as well, so I'm assuming that tower at the Concord Speedway finally started broadcasting.

I'll be driving into Troutman (AKA the end of the Earth :lol:) this Sunday, so I'll see what coverage is up there via Hwy 21 and Old Mountain Rd, *if* LTE reaches that far from the I-77 towers.

Looks like west of Albemarle and right around Wadesboro have popped up on Sensorly. Mt. Pleasant Rd out by Hwy 200 has popped up as well, so I'm assuming that tower at the Concord Speedway finally started broadcasting.

I'll be driving into Troutman (AKA the end of the Earth :lol:) this Sunday, so I'll see what coverage is up there via Hwy 21 and Old Mountain Rd, *if* LTE reaches that far from the I-77 towers.

I mapped that small area on Mt Pleasant road yesterday. Took a detore on the way in today to go right by Concord Speedway and found no 4g, so maybe they were just testing

LTE is on in Hickory (Near I-40, Exit 126) as of this morning. Inside, I'm at -100db and getting 95ms ping, 7147kbps Down and 4942 Up. Should be showing up on Sensorly this morning. That purple blip is my place of work. I'm very, very happy!

EDIT: It sure seems as if the signal is coming from the tower in Newton as the signal dies off as soon as my elevation drops. Now I see someone has mapped LTE from Newton to Hickory, so that kind of confirms that.

I mapped this. I work in Conover once a week and began picking up 4G today. I lost in on the way back from Hickory on 40 though.

• Like 1

I ran quite a few speedtests today now that LTE is active in Hickory, NC. I found that most of my tests had ping times between 91ms and 150ms to Comcast in ATL. My fastest download speed was 9174kbps and upload was 6559kbps at -74dBm near the Newton tower. I have seen much better LTE ping times from fellow S4GRU'ers, but I'm not gonna complain.

Indoors at work, LTE was between -105dBm and -118dBm and could regularly get sub 120ms, 2500-5000kbps Down/1200-5600kbps Up. I was impressed and this isn't even with the nearest tower activated.

One thing I found interesting was that my Wireless Extenders (Wi-Ex) YX-500 PCS repeater, which has the omnidirectional antenna mounted rooftop, was doing a great job repeating the LTE signal. I was standing inside our server room, which is always a dead zone, and I had -85 dBm 8 feet from the repeater. I can only imagine how much better it will be once the closer tower is lit up with LTE. I was under the impression that the Wi-Ex products didn't support PCS G Block. No complaints here :)

• Like 1

One thing I found interesting was that my Wireless Extenders (Wi-Ex) YX-500 PCS repeater, which has the omnidirectional antenna mounted rooftop, was doing a great job repeating the LTE signal. I was standing inside our server room, which is always a dead zone, and I had -85 dBm 8 feet from the repeater. I can only imagine how much better it will be once the closer tower is lit up with LTE. I was under the impression that the Wi-Ex products didn't support PCS G Block. No complaints here :)

Since you said this works well for LTE, I may be able to get rid of the Airave at my friends house and put this in. You get a decent LTE/3G signal outside the house, but barely inside. It keeps switching back and forth and dropping completely. I'll research it a bit. B)

• Like 1

Aww sookie, LTE is live in Concord by I-85! :tu: The one morning I forget to turn Sensorly on for the commute first thing, 4G pops up as I'm heading down I-85S towards Exit 58 (Hwy 29/601)! I got it turned on just before I got to the exit and mapped for a mile or two. I had a -83dBm RSRP as I passed under the overpass, so it's got to be coming from the tower off S. Ridge Ave. I'm not sure why it's not showing up on the maps yet, but I'll map again on the way home. That tower must have just gotten turned on yesterday or this morning because it definitely wasn't on Wednesday.

EDIT: Now it's finally showing up on the closest zoom level...

• Like 1

LTE is live on the south side of Concord now where 29/601/Cabarrus Ave W meet up (the Triangle for the locals that know it by that :) ). I just happened to have Sensorly running when I hit 29 and Roberta Church Rd and mapped all the way up 29 through Concord. Looks like 29 is completely covered through that area now, almost up to Hwy 3 in Kannapolis. I'm really hoping they light that tower up at 29 & 3 next!

I pulled 16.6 down and 9.7Mbps up right at the triangle, FYI...

• Like 1