Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

Something is going on around here (Hickory/Newton/Conover) as I've had to switch to CDMA Only to use 3G data. If I leave my EVO set to LTE/CDMA, my 3G indicator has a stuck up arrow (see below) and cannot access data at all. As soon as I switch to CDMA Only, BAM!.. 3G data with no issues. Something that I've noticed is my Pings are now 125ms or lower, but my speeds still stink at around 200kb/s or slower. Does anyone know if this is indicative of anything?

3Gcdmaissue.png

Something is going on around here (Hickory/Newton/Conover) as I've had to switch to CDMA Only to use 3G data. If I leave my EVO set to LTE/CDMA, my 3G indicator has a stuck up arrow (see below) and cannot access data at all. As soon as I switch to CDMA Only, BAM!.. 3G data with no issues. Something that I've noticed is my Pings are now 125ms or lower, but my speeds still stink at around 200kb/s or slower. Does anyone know if this is indicative of anything?

Whoa! I am having the EXACT same problem as you -- you described it *perfectly*. The only catch is that's I'm in the Raleigh/Durham market. CDMA Only works without a hitch, LTE/CDMA doesn't work and has a stuck upload arrow. I can sometimes get it to work if I cycle airplane mode a couple times. Sometimes it just works by itself, but it's broken more often than not as of lately. Seems like it's just issues related to the NV rollout and hopefully they'll work themselves out. At least it's (hopefully) not our devices!

The tower at Bradley school road(exit 36) has been in progress for about a month now. Wish I had an idea of when they fire it up. Anyone know how I can tell that's its being worked on?

Field observation. A site can be In Progress for months.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

85 north needs to be mapped longer passing concord mills exit. Picked up from my iPhone 5

Oh, there are some towers in the works further up I-85...somewhere... if you join the sponsor section, you'll see where, hehe... ;) Speaking of which, there are some areas fairly close by I may just go map out of boredom, since I took a week off work. :)

Oh, there are some towers in the works further up I-85...somewhere... if you join the sponsor section, you'll see where, hehe... ;) Speaking of which, there are some areas fairly close by I may just go map out of boredom, since I took a week off work. :)

Okay that would be great since I live in the concord area. Need to find a way to map with my iPhone.

Okay that would be great since I live in the concord area. Need to find a way to map with my iPhone.

You won't be able to until Sensorly becomes compatible with iPhones, which likely won't happen anytime soon. If you find an area that's not mapped and has 4G, let the rest of us know and someone will most likely go map it.

I am also getting real spotty hits in Asheville NC hope there more towers to hook up so I keep the signal but looking good for sure
where was this? I've only gotten a lte connection spotty thought Biltmore village and downtown. post-8801-13619384933793_thumb.jpg post-8801-13619385158073_thumb.jpg sorry I didn't get a more detailed signal read but this was no more than a block away from the McDowell street tower and I had to do a reset to get that.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I got some 4G love by concord mills yesterday

I was on Pitts School today, passing Robinson HS and looked down while waiting for the cops to let the kids out - lo and behold, I had 4G! That tower over by 49/485 or Mallard Creek & 85 must REALLY be reaching! By the time I could get Sensorly on, it was back to 3G.

I'm really hoping for some LTE Accepted towers to come up on the next Sponsor

Came home a different way today and picked up 4g on 49 heading towards Concord, just after Harrisburg. Held it all the way to to 601. I lost it about 2 miles from my house. They must have just turned on that tower at the speedway on 601. Had driven by it just on Monday so was great to see it on now! Should show up on Sensorly soon.

I'll check in the other direction in the morning.

• Like 1

Came home a different way today and picked up 4g on 49 heading towards Concord, just after Harrisburg. Held it all the way to to 601. I lost it about 2 miles from my house. They must have just turned on that tower at the speedway on 601. Had driven by it just on Monday so was great to see it on now! Should show up on Sensorly soon.

I'll check in the other direction in the morning.

I'm not sure when it happened, but that one's marked on the Sponsor map too... maybe I just missed it because I wasn't paying attention to that area on the map. Wow, I just did the Google Maps Lab Beta distance measurement tool and that thing is blasting full 4G signal (darkest purple) just over 5 miles (over the air, not by road)!!! :blink: I did point A being the speedway, and point B on Hwy 49, just before 601 to get that. Even though there's virtually no interference out there, that's really impressive.

Relatively speaking, that tower SHOULD be able to reach down most of Hwy 200, maybe past 24/27 and it should be able to hit a decent amount of 24/27 back through Midland and Flowes Store Rd, depending on how the towers are aimed and all that, since much of that distance over the air is 3-6 miles away from the tower. I guess we'll find out where those panels are aimed here soon. :)

I'm not sure when it happened, but that one's marked on the Sponsor map too... maybe I just missed it because I wasn't paying attention to that area on the map. Wow, I just did the Google Maps Lab Beta distance measurement tool and that thing is blasting full 4G signal (darkest purple) just over 5 miles (over the air, not by road)!!! :blink: I did point A being the speedway, and point B on Hwy 49, just before 601 to get that. Even though there's virtually no interference out there, that's really impressive.

Relatively speaking, that tower SHOULD be able to reach down most of Hwy 200, maybe past 24/27 and it should be able to hit a decent amount of 24/27 back through Midland and Flowes Store Rd, depending on how the towers are aimed and all that, since much of that distance over the air is 3-6 miles away from the tower. I guess we'll find out where those panels are aimed here soon. :)

I had been watching this area as I had seen it on the sponsors map. I really had hoped this tower was the one we connected to at my house (it is the closest one), even though the signal we get is so weak its unusable. But seeing that strong 4g so near my house way out here was very cool :). Be interesting to see how far it reaches when I head out the other direction.

Guest VestaviaPirate

Question, and this may seem dumb, but how can we/do we know about other towers not on the maps in the Sponsers section?

I see there seems to be a strong 4G signal at Park Rd. & Marsh, over in Dilworth, yet through this site, there doesn't seem to be a planned or active tower. Upon further review, there is a tower (but don't know whose it is) right off Marsh Rd., which to me makes sense.

What other towers is it missing? How can we add those towers?

According to this pic off of the network/sprint site, there is a tower in the heart of Mooresville next to the location indicator. In previous months it had disappeared, but I knew that I had seen it a while ago. Now it's back. It's also not listed on the nv sites complete map. Robert do you know why this tower would have vanished the reappeared? And if you can find it, is it part of network vision or is it something else entirely? Could it be a Nextel 800 that is, or has been converted? Any help is appreciated, as this has stumped me for some time. Initially I just believed that had seen it this tower, but when it vanished I wrote it off. I knew I had seen it though! :)

Question, and this may seem dumb, but how can we/do we know about other towers not on the maps in the Sponsers section?

I see there seems to be a strong 4G signal at Park Rd. & Marsh, over in Dilworth, yet through this site, there doesn't seem to be a planned or active tower. Upon further review, there is a tower (but don't know whose it is) right off Marsh Rd., which to me makes sense.

What other towers is it missing? How can we add those towers?

You can either send Robert a message or quote him from another message which would get his attention to check with his sources. I noticed the same thing with the tower at Mallard Creek and 85... It just popped up complete be day. I'm sure things change with deployments and Robert's sources may not get every last one while it's in progress.

If you look in the Sponsor section for NC, he does have an update for our market, he just hasn't gotten to it yet. We'll see if that one has what you're looking for.

And as a second part, the Bradley school road tower in Mooresville just came online today. Would I be able to reach that tower from my location? I haven't gotten any lte at home, but I'm basically perfectly in the middle of the two towers in town. At times I have full bars, so I'm assuming that kte would reach, or am I out of its range at 6-7 miles?

Guest VestaviaPirate
You can either send Robert a message or quote him from another message which would get his attention to check with his sources. I noticed the same thing with the tower at Mallard Creek and 85... It just popped up complete be day. I'm sure things change with deployments and Robert's sources may not get every last one while it's in progress. If you look in the Sponsor section for NC, he does have an update for our market, he just hasn't gotten to it yet. We'll see if that one has what you're looking for.

Ok, I was just wondering.

I also read somewhere that 4G can reach up to 5 miles, is that diameter or radius?

I'm about to move RIGHT as I'm starting to get pretty good 4G service in Elizabeth... And while my new area hasn't been mapped, there are 4G towers closer to where I will be, that where I am now.

My new area is with in 1.5 miles of the Uptown tower and about 2 miles from the tower off Ashley Rd. (west side)

While my old area is 2 miles from the Uptown tower and 3 miles from the tower out in Evergreen Cemetary.

Theoretically, I should have better signal in my new place than I do in my old, right? OR is there a tower closer to Elizabeth that I'm getting my 4G signal from, and my new area is going to be worse off? I'll shoot him a message and see what he knows about that tower off Marsh & Park, and ask him about any towers near Southend. Thanks!

Ok, I was just wondering.

I also read somewhere that 4G can reach up to 5 miles, is that diameter or radius?

I'm about to move RIGHT as I'm starting to get pretty good 4G service in Elizabeth... And while my new area hasn't been mapped, there are 4G towers closer to where I will be, that where I am now.

My new area is with in 1.5 miles of the Uptown tower and about 2 miles from the tower off Ashley Rd. (west side)

While my old area is 2 miles from the Uptown tower and 3 miles from the tower out in Evergreen Cemetary.

Theoretically, I should have better signal in my new place than I do in my old, right? OR is there a tower closer to Elizabeth that I'm getting my 4G signal from, and my new area is going to be worse off? I'll shoot him a message and see what he knows about that tower off Marsh & Park, and ask him about any towers near Southend. Thanks!

So as far as towers reaching 5+ miles, sure..they can reach that distance - but the panels are aimed in certain directions and that's pretty apparent if you check out the Sensorly maps. Take for instance the tower at 49/485. Look NE of that at Morehead Rd in Harrisburg, where it gets darker - keep following that NE until you see the intersection of Pitts School and Hwy 29, where it's just barely detected. I could be wrong, but reasoning would tell me that that's the direction that at least one of the panels are aimed (I still have to look up the difference in panels & RRUs, still not there on knowledge). The distance doesn't seem to be as great in the areas between where the panels are directly aimed. Again, that's just my reasoning.

Not having tons of skyscrapers and interference in the way makes a big difference too. Who knows exactly how the signal will stretch / bounce throughout the downtown area with all the corporate and residential towers there.

Looks like there were 27 updates to the Sponsor map for the Charlotte market this week. Today or tomorrow, I'm going to see just how far up Hwy 3 and 601 that Concord Speedway tower reaches.

Guest VestaviaPirate
So as far as towers reaching 5+ miles, sure..they can reach that distance - but the panels are aimed in certain directions and that's pretty apparent if you check out the Sensorly maps. Take for instance the tower at 49/485. Look NE of that at Morehead Rd in Harrisburg, where it gets darker - keep following that NE until you see the intersection of Pitts School and Hwy 29, where it's just barely detected. I could be wrong, but reasoning would tell me that that's the direction that at least one of the panels are aimed (I still have to look up the difference in panels & RRUs, still not there on knowledge). The distance doesn't seem to be as great in the areas between where the panels are directly aimed. Again, that's just my reasoning. Not having tons of skyscrapers and interference in the way makes a big difference too. Who knows exactly how the signal will stretch / bounce throughout the downtown area with all the corporate and residential towers there. Looks like there were 27 updates to the Sponsor map for the Charlotte market this week. Today or tomorrow, I'm going to see just how far up Hwy 3 and 601 that Concord Speedway tower reaches.

Great info! Thanks

Where is this sensorly map that keeps getting updates? I've searched sporadically today and can't seem to find them as they pertain to Charlotte. I see the national map, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in about 10 days. Thanks for the knowledge and patience. I'm new to signal and 4G...

Great info! Thanks

Where is this sensorly map that keeps getting updates? I've searched sporadically today and can't seem to find them as they pertain to Charlotte. I see the national map, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in about 10 days. Thanks for the knowledge and patience. I'm new to signal and 4G...

Here is the link to the Sensorly map for Sprint 4G LTE mapped by whoever has run the app on their Android device (not compatible with iPhones yet):

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint

Make sure to download the Sensorly app to your phone and help map out areas that haven't been mapped out yet! :tu: Sensorly is a user-based mapping app that's completely separate of S4GRU, but Sensorly and S4GRU are both very helpful to the community as a whole.

I got my test near mission hospital

where was this? I've only gotten a lte connection spotty thought Biltmore village and downtown. post-8801-13619384933793_thumb.jpg post-8801-13619385158073_thumb.jpg sorry I didn't get a more detailed signal read but this was no more than a block away from the McDowell street tower and I had to do a reset to get that.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2