Estimated time of 800 mhz rollout?

A somewhat related question. I'm located in an area where the tower is nextel only...no sprint CDMA. I use my AIRAVE or roam on Verizon for service. I'm curious if anyone has information or prediction on what they might do with locations like these when they shut down IDEN?

A somewhat related question. I'm located in an area where the tower is nextel only...no sprint CDMA. I use my AIRAVE or roam on Verizon for service. I'm curious if anyone has information or prediction on what they might do with locations like these when they shut down IDEN?

Tons of those in my area. They will just get shut down, unless it is one of the very rare ones that might stay.

This is one of the reasons a relative of mines company switched all of their service techs over to att, sprint tried to convert them but they returned all the phones after the first day.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Tons of those in my area. They will just get shut down, unless it is one of the very rare ones that might stay.

This is one of the reasons a relative of mines company switched all of their service techs over to att, sprint tried to convert them but they returned all the phones after the first day.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Hopefully with the injection of money from SoftBank, Sprint will revisit this decision. Not adding Network Vision to areas with iDEN only sites represents a lost opportunity imo. Without it, Nextel customers in those areas have zero incentive to switch to Sprint CDMA and if they do they'll be terminated for excessive roaming in a few months anyway.

• Like 2

Hopefully with the injection of money from SoftBank, Sprint will revisit this decision. Not adding Network Vision to iDEN only sites represents a lost opportunity imo. Without it, Nextel customers in those areas have zero incentive to switch to Sprint CDMA and if they do they'll be terminated for excessive roaming in a few months anyway.

It used to be that excessive roaming just got the occasional slap from the girlfriend or wife... Now you get terminated.. hehe

• Like 1

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Some questions come to mind after reading through all the 800/1xA info on the site today. I read too much, just need some clarity:

1. Is the term 1xA being used only to differentiate it from the old 1x in that it will operate on the 800mhz? Or is the term just being used to signify the 800mhz voice sites with no 800mhz LTE? Or is it because it will be like the old 1x but plusa step up in speed, over 800mhz? -- I did see Robert's comment about using 1xA in Waco and pulling 135kbps, but just wanting to clarify the use and meaning of the term. And, I assume no svdo over the 1xA right?

2. Robert said some sites are being converted for voice over 800mhz, and I see that on the interactive maps; and that more would be added probably in the next 6 months..what is the method to why/when they decide to update an area's towers for voice over 800mhz? Do you think Sprint already has an idea, or its own internal map, with a rollout schedule on converting sites to voice over 800mhz? I understand why an area like Chicago is getting the 800mhz/voice upgrades - they need it now. And I see that for Premiere Sponsors you might have NV Schedule maps..do those at least show the rollout schedule for NV 1900?

Thanks! -- just registered and donated today.

1.Yup. There's two different things we're talking about. CDMA 1x-Advanced for Voice on the 800mhz band (better coverage/penetration into buildings & whatnot) and LTE 800mhz for data speeds. 1xA speeds should be consistent but it should be around 100kbps as they don't need much capacity for voice.

2. 800mhz deployment, to my knowledge, will be dependent on area, geography, requirements, etc. They're going to use that low frequency band to cover areas like Vz and ATT. Since 800mhz travels farther and penetrates better than 1900mhz, you don't need it on every tower. If i remember correctly, only about 70-80% of sprint sites are going to have 800mhz up and running with significant overlap etc being the reason that not all sites are going to have it.

Didn't quite fully answer what I meant. I'm familiar with what the technologies are, as I'm in the industry. I'm trying to fully understand the term. back to my question #1, so you're saying the 1xA term is just signifying that it is voice over 800mhz? No speed bump over the previous 1x data speeds? And does anyone know about svdo over 1xA?

I don't care about lte over 800mhz, my question has to do with what are the different components of 1xA versus the previous 1x...what does the 'Advanced' tag mean... is the 'Advanced' more than just a call over a farther reaching 800mhz signal? Hope this helps clarify.

and then my question #2, I know what 800mhz is and the reasons to deploy it,etc. I'm wanting to know, before the June 2013 shutdown, what general number of towers will be converted to 800mhz....or will most be done after the June 2013 shutdown? I'd like to know Kansas City's timeline for receiving 800mhz for the cdma towers, which prompted my earlier question of 'does Sprint most likely have an already defined timeline of when and where the 800mhz for cdma will be rolled out and does anyone here have access to it?'.... and lastly, do the NV 1900 interactive maps available for Premiere Sponsors show an actual timeline of future completion dates by area? -- it would be nice to know what part of the year it is coming to a certain area.

Thanks for the info. Hope someone can answer these.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Some questions come to mind after reading through all the 800/1xA info on the site today. I read too much, just need some clarity:

1. Is the term 1xA being used only to differentiate it from the old 1x in that it will operate on the 800mhz? Or is the term just being used to signify the 800mhz voice sites with no 800mhz LTE? Or is it because it will be like the old 1x but plusa step up in speed, over 800mhz? -- I did see Robert's comment about using 1xA in Waco and pulling 135kbps, but just wanting to clarify the use and meaning of the term. And, I assume no svdo over the 1xA right?

2. Robert said some sites are being converted for voice over 800mhz, and I see that on the interactive maps; and that more would be added probably in the next 6 months..what is the method to why/when they decide to update an area's towers for voice over 800mhz? Do you think Sprint already has an idea, or its own internal map, with a rollout schedule on converting sites to voice over 800mhz? I understand why an area like Chicago is getting the 800mhz/voice upgrades - they need it now. And I see that for Premiere Sponsors you might have NV Schedule maps..do those at least show the rollout schedule for NV 1900?

Thanks! -- just registered and donated today.

Didn't quite fully answer what I meant. I'm familiar with what the technologies are, as I'm in the industry. I'm trying to fully understand the term. back to my question #1, so you're saying the 1xA term is just signifying that it is voice over 800mhz? No speed bump over the previous 1x data speeds? And does anyone know about svdo over 1xA?

I don't care about lte over 800mhz, my question has to do with what are the different components of 1xA versus the previous 1x...what does the 'Advanced' tag mean... is the 'Advanced' more than just a call over a farther reaching 800mhz signal? Hope this helps clarify.

and then my question #2, I know what 800mhz is and the reasons to deploy it,etc. I'm wanting to know, before the June 2013 shutdown, what general number of towers will be converted to 800mhz....or will most be done after the June 2013 shutdown? I'd like to know Kansas City's timeline for receiving 800mhz for the cdma towers, which prompted my earlier question of 'does Sprint most likely have an already defined timeline of when and where the 800mhz for cdma will be rolled out and does anyone here have access to it?'.... and lastly, do the NV 1900 interactive maps available for Premiere Sponsors show an actual timeline of future completion dates by area? -- it would be nice to know what part of the year it is coming to a certain area.

Thanks for the info. Hope someone can answer these.

To answer your questions:

1xA is 1x Advanced. It is a revision in 1xRTT that allows for gains in capacity, coverage and speeds. Sprint is deploying 1x Advanced over 1xRTT in Network Vision when upgrading CDMA 1900 and CDMA 800. There is a lot of variability in the way 1x Advanced can be deployed. It can be deployed for capacity gains, or speed/coverage gains. It is believed that Sprint is only deploying their 1xA for capacity gains only. We do not know for sure, but we have not seen a Network Vision completed site 1x speed test that exceeds 144kbps, yet. Since Sprint will only have one CDMA 800 carrier, it makes more sense to deploy that carrier for maximum capacity, especially given that 800MHz already has a distinct coverage advantage. The term 1xA should not be used synonymous with 800MHz only, as it is being deployed in 800 and 1900.

CDMA 800 deployments to date have been deployed only in FIT areas for testing/planning purposes. However, Chicago 800 service has been expedited in advance for purposes of helping to reduce the dropped call problem written about in this article. Sprint is about the begin deploying CDMA 800 more widespread in the near future, as enough conflicting iDEN channels are cleared out of the way of Channel 476 (where the CDMA 800 carrier is going in most markets). There have already been some member reports of CDMA 800 connections in the LA Metro, Baltimore and DC markets. However, it takes a custom PRL to get on these 800 carriers, as the official Sprint PRL's only allow 800 connections in the DFW/Waco and Chicago areas currently.

We do have schedule maps of the original Network Vision baseline schedule for the Round 1 and 2 markets in the Premier Sponsor section. They show when CDMA 1900 and LTE 1900 were originally scheduled to arrive for each site in the first two rounds. However, we have not received updates to the schedule, and there has been recent variation.

Devices capable of SVDO have two diverse 1x antennas. So they can do 1x data and 1x voice at the same time, or EVDO data and 1x voice at the same time. But it appears that most cannot support 1x data and 1x voice at the same time, only 1x voice and EVDO data.

We do not have specific dates for any market specifically starting CDMA 800 deployments. However, you will see them start appearing in the NV Sites Complete maps once they do.

Robert

Edited by S4GRU
Changed the info about simultaneous 1x data and 1x voice
  • Like 3

Devices capable of SVDO have two diverse 1x antennas. So they can do 1x data and 1x voice at the same time...

Hmm, has this been tested and verified on any SVDO capable handsets? I would be willing to bet that some, maybe even all SVDO capable handsets cannot do simultaneous CDMA1X voice and CDMA1X data. CDMA1X Rx diversity does not include fully separate transmission paths, and seemingly not all SVDO capable handsets implement CDMA1X Rx diversity. On the other hand, simultaneous CDMA1X voice and EV-DO data is possible because those two airlinks do not share a transmission path; rather, EV-DO typically shares a transmission path with LTE, since EV-DO and LTE need not be active simultaneously.

AJ

To answer your questions:

1xA is 1x Advanced. It is a revision in 1xRTT that allows for gains in capacity, coverage and speeds. Sprint is deploying 1x Advanced over 1xRTT in Network Vision when upgrading CDMA 1900 and CDMA 800. There is a lot of variability in the way 1x Advanced can be deployed. It can be deployed for capacity gains, or speed/coverage gains. It is believed that Sprint is only deploying their 1xA for capacity gains only. We do not know for sure, but we have not seen a Network Vision completed site 1x speed test that exceeds 144kbps, yet. Since Sprint will only have one CDMA 800 carrier, it makes more sense to deploy that carrier for maximum capacity, especially given that 800MHz already has a distinct coverage advantage. The term 1xA should not be used synonymous with 800MHz only, as it is being deployed in 800 and 1900.

CDMA 800 deployments to date have been deployed only in FIT areas for testing/planning purposes. However, Chicago 800 service has been expedited in advance for purposes of helping to reduce the dropped call problem written about in this article. Sprint is about the begin deploying CDMA 800 more widespread in the near future, as enough conflicting iDEN channels are cleared out of the way of Channel 476 (where the CDMA 800 carrier is going in most markets). There have already been some member reports of CDMA 800 connections in the LA Metro, Baltimore and DC markets. However, it takes a custom PRL to get on these 800 carriers, as the official Sprint PRL's only allow 800 connections in the DFW/Waco and Chicago areas currently.

We do have schedule maps of the original Network Vision baseline schedule for the Round 1 and 2 markets in the Premier Sponsor section. They show when CDMA 1900 and LTE 1900 were originally scheduled to arrive for each site in the first two rounds. However, we have not received updates to the schedule, and there has been recent variation.

Devices capable of SVDO have two diverse 1x antennas. So they can do 1x data and 1x voice at the same time, or EVDO data and 1x voice at the same time.

We do not have specific dates for any market specifically starting CDMA 800 deployments. However, you will see them start appearing in the NV Sites Complete maps once they do.

Robert

Your answers far exceeded my expectations! wow. thanks!

Hmm, has this been tested and verified on any SVDO capable handsets? I would be willing to bet that some, maybe even all SVDO capable handsets cannot do simultaneous CDMA1X voice and CDMA1X data. CDMA1X Rx diversity does not include fully separate transmission paths, and seemingly not all SVDO capable handsets implement CDMA1X Rx diversity. On the other hand, simultaneous CDMA1X voice and EV-DO data is possible because those two airlinks do not share a transmission path; rather, EV-DO typically shares a transmission path with LTE, since EV-DO and LTE need not be active simultaneously.

AJ

I was able to get one of my devices in Waco to go into 1x only mode for testing. I was able to do simultaneous voice and 1x data on it. I will look at my notes when I get home to see which one it was, because I cannot remember. However, I just assumed from that observation that all SVDO devices could do simultaneous voice and 1x data. Thank you for the clarification.

Robert

• Like 1

I was able to get one of my devices in Waco to go into 1x only mode for testing. I was able to do simultaneous voice and 1x data on it.

Was it the Viper? To add a second thought to my clarification, a dual modem chipset SVDO capable handset should be able to pull off (at least, from a hardware standpoint) the simultaneous CDMA1X voice and CDMA1X data trick. But the dual modem chipset "Fusion" designs are on the way out. And I am doubtful that a single modem chipset (e.g. Qualcomm MSM8960 or MDM9615) design could do the same.

AJ

Was it the Viper? To add a second thought to my clarification, a dual modem chipset SVDO capable handset should be able to pull off (at least, from a hardware standpoint) the simultaneous CDMA1X voice and CDMA1X data trick. But the dual modem chipset "Fusion" designs are on the way out. And I am doubtful that a single modem chipset (e.g. Qualcomm MSM8960 or MDM9615) design could do the same.

AJ

I do believe it was the Viper. I know it was not a Samsung device, as I am unable to force them into 1x only mode without having to do a factory reset to get LTE back.

Robert

I do believe it was the Viper.

No can do on the single modem chipset (MSM8960) based EVO LTE. I forced it to CDMA1X only mode. With Wi-Fi disabled and a voice call initiated, the "3G" indicator disappears, and data is inaccessible.

AJ

• Like 1

Your answers far exceeded my expectations! wow. thanks!

Tha's why we all love this forum so much. The dedication and information that Robert puts out there is amazing.

• Like 1

AJ

I was able to get one of my devices in Waco to go into 1x only mode for testing. I was able to do simultaneous voice and 1x data on it. I will look at my notes when I get home to see which one it was, because I cannot remember. However, I just assumed from that observation that all SVDO devices could do simultaneous voice and 1x data. Thank you for the clarification.

Robert

AJ

This is where I'm lost, now. What does 1xA data even look like? How does it behave if there is EVDO available? Is it even accessible to use the data? Does it mean that I'll be able to get tweets deep inside my office building, as well as a phone call?

Thanks.

This is where I'm lost, now. What does 1xA data even look like? How does it behave if there is EVDO available? Is it even accessible to use the data? Does it mean that I'll be able to get tweets deep inside my office building, as well as a phone call?

Thanks.

1xA data looks a lot like bigfoot and like the yeti little is known of its habbits in the presence of EVDO...

<another fail humor attempt if you couldn't tell>

1xA data is really slow compared to 3G. You usually only use it if there is not 3G available for whatever reason. I think its basically the same as one voice channel but used for your data needs instead of a digitized voice call. Both are really just data.

That's about all I think I know on the subject. Trying to make up for the yeti answer above.

• Like 2

my question is I've been told that the iphone 5 wont support 800mhz lte when Sprint starts deploying it. why is that when on apple's website it shows it supports 800mhz? So will it support voice over 800 and if so why not lte?

No device is on the market that supports LTE 800. It's not just a limitation to the iPhone. I haven't seen recently, but the Apple site used to say CDMA 800, not just 800. Has it changed?

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Robert beat me to it by a minute or two. Sometime next year 800Mhz LTE devices will start showing up mid to late in the year I think if I remember Robert right. By the time 800 LTE is rolled out well you will most likely be wanting an Iphone 6 or the new iPhone anyway. I have come to the conclusion that a phone is only worth keeping till your contract is up.

• 8 months later...