Estimated time of 800 mhz rollout?

<br /><br />Nope. All I know, is that Sprint is planning two LTE 800 FIT's. One somewhere in the New Orleans market and one somewhere in Montana.<br /><br />Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner
<br /><br />I wonder how many sites are in the fit. It might actually cover that area pretty well with cdma 800. Maybe it will be significant enough to merit officially offering service there.<br /><br />Edit: Could this be the first sign of Sprint looking to build into new rural areas

I wonder how many sites are in the fit. It might actually cover that area pretty well with cdma 800. Maybe it will be significant enough to merit officially offering service there.

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

That's what I'm hoping. I would love to see a Montana market emerge.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

This sounds like a good place for the S4GRU to have our convention.

Are we moving the annual retreat from Jackson Hole to Whitefish?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I use Pandora and Spotify, along with Saavn and Dhingana (Indian Music specific), and I've found that Pandora does the best job in streaming without buffering. I can listen to songs on Pandora as I walk through Times Square, onto a bus, through the Lincoln Tunnel, and all the way to my doorstep.

Is that Nextel tower decommissioning website from Sprint still exist? It's the one where you can see every individual Nextel tower that is being decommissioned. I need 800 MHz voice in my area with trees and hills everywhere. Verizon is top dog in my area because of the low frequency they use.

Is that Nextel tower decommissioning website from Sprint still exist? It's the one where you can see every individual Nextel tower that is being decommissioned. I need 800 MHz voice in my area with trees and hills everywhere. Verizon is top dog in my area because of the low frequency they use.

AFAIK, iDEN thinning has already been completed. I don't believe there will be another wave until it's shut off completely. Don't quote me on that, of course.

AFAIK, iDEN thinning has already been completed. I don't believe there will be another wave until it's shut off completely. Don't quote me on that, of course.

You are correct. The thinning was a one time project that is now complete. No new decommissions until shut down in June.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

As pointed out above, iDEN thinning is complete. The final decommissioning of remaining iDEN will not occur until June 30, 2012.

However, 800MHz voice is already starting to be deployed and is not dependent on a full iDEN shutdown to be implemented. CDMA 800 has already been turned on in half the Chicago sites completed and in Waco, Texas. It will be added to more markets over the next 6 months or so.

As pointed out above, iDEN thinning is complete. The final decommissioning of remaining iDEN will not occur until June 30, 2012.

However, 800MHz voice is already starting to be deployed and is not dependent on a full iDEN shutdown to be implemented. CDMA 800 has already been turned on in half the Chicago sites completed and in Waco, Texas. It will be added to more markets over the next 6 months or so.

Robert,

I have a question about the deployed 800 mhz 1xA. If I'm deep in a building and only picking up this signal and no EVDO or LTE (which even with 800mhz LTE might very well be the case), what kind of speeds will 1xA provide? I remember reading that it can either be deployed for efficiency or speed, so I'm assuming ~150k/s? Thanks!

Robert' date='

I have a question about the deployed 800 mhz 1xA. If I'm deep in a building and only picking up this signal and no EVDO or LTE (which even with 800mhz LTE might very well be the case), what kind of speeds will 1xA provide? I remember reading that it can either be deployed for efficiency or speed, so I'm assuming ~150k/s? Thanks![/quote']

I never hit more than 135kbps on it in Waco. So I'm guessing Sprint is limiting it to 144k in their deployments. But coverage is fantastic.

In my hotel, the nearest site was 1.5 miles away, and I would lose LTE coverage indoors on the opposite site of the building. However, CDMA 800 from the same site wouldn't even lose one bar. It dropped from -70dBM to -78dBm. Full bars.

• Like 6

I never hit more than 135kbps on it in Waco. So I'm guessing Sprint is limiting it to 144k in their deployments. But coverage is fantastic.

In my hotel, the nearest site was 1.5 miles away, and I would lose LTE coverage indoors on the opposite site of the building. However, CDMA 800 from the same site wouldn't even lose one bar. It dropped from -70dBM to -78dBm. Full bars.

Robert,

Have you found yourself in a situation where the 1900 1X voice was extremely weak and had your phone switch to the 800 1X.

To state it better, have you seen a 1900 voice signal get down to -100 or worse and successfully transfer a working call to 800 meg. Can you prove a call will survive a transfer back and forth from 1900 to 800 and vice versa???

Sprint is going to look awful bad if they do not have this working correctly.

Robert,

Have you found yourself in a situation where the 1900 1X voice was extremely weak and had your phone switch to the 800 1X.

To state it better, have you seen a 1900 voice signal get down to -100 or worse and successfully transfer a working call to 800 meg. Can you prove a call will survive a transfer back and forth from 1900 to 800 and vice versa???

Sprint is going to look awful bad if they do not have this working correctly.

There is no reason for it not to.... that is controlled by the handset.

EDIT - This should be no different than the handset picking a signal from one tower over another. It's just choosing a different carrier based on EC/IO.

Robert' date='

Sprint is going to look awful bad if they do not have this working correctly.[/quote']

When I was in the Waco FIT, my phone stayed parked in CDMA 800, even if it had the slightest signal. Always. It never would be in standby in 1900. When on an active phone call, it would start channel scanning when on 800. Twice it transferred to a 1900 channel mid call.

I was very surprised by these results. Not what I was expecting at all. It seems if your phone can find a 1x carrier on 800, it seems to prefer it over 1900, and will only switch to 1900 after starting a phone call on 800 (presumably if it can find a 1900 channel with an acceptable Ec/Io ratio).

The hand offs from 800 to 1900 were undetectable except for the change on the debug. However my wife and I were not really having a vibrant conversation. It mostly consisted of me jabbering on about what I was seeing and her responses of, "You are a dork. Can we go get some frozen custard now?"

Within approx. 30 seconds of completing a call on 1900, it would go back to channel 476 on CDMA 800.

It all worked well from my observations. And since I stayed parked in 800, the signal strength indicator had full bars or one less than full bars throughout the whole Waco area. My concern is having everyone parked on 800 may oversaturate that carrier. But I guess since it can hand back off to 1900 easily, maybe that's not an issue?

• Like 1

EDIT - This should be no different than the handset picking a signal from one tower over another. It's just choosing a different carrier based on EC/IO.

Boosted20V - Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. However, how many different handset manufacturers do we have?

How many cell site and core switch vendors? Lots of places for issues to creep in.

I am really waiting to prove that I can walk into a building and continue with a call without worrying about it dropping.

Boosted20V - Yes' date=' that is how it is supposed to work. However, how many different handset manufacturers do we have?

How many cell site and core switch vendors? Lots of places for issues to creep in.

I am really waiting to prove that I can walk into a building and continue with a call without worrying about it dropping.[/quote']

I had no issues with dropped calls in my 800 voice testing. But I never saw an instance of going from 1900 to 800. Only 800 to 1900. I wish I had found a place where 1900 didn't reach in Waco and then start a call and go to that location to see what happened. But that never occurred to me to test out that way.

No, handsets control only idle state handoffs. The network directs traffic state handoffs.

AJ

When I was in the Waco FIT, my phone stayed parked in CDMA 800, even if it had the slightest signal. Always. It never would be in standby in 1900. When on an active phone call, it would start channel scanning when on 800. Twice it transferred to a 1900 channel mid call.

I was very surprised by these results. Not what I was expecting at all. It seems if your phone can find a 1x carrier on 800, it seems to prefer it over 1900, and will only switch to 1900 after starting a phone call on 800 (presumably if it can find a 1900 channel with an acceptable Ec/Io ratio).

The hand offs from 800 to 1900 were undetectable except for the change on the debug. However my wife and I were not really having a vibrant conversation. It mostly consisted of me jabbering on about what I was seeing and her responses of, "You are a dork. Can we go get some frozen custard now?"

Within approx. 30 seconds of completing a call on 1900, it would go back to channel 476 on CDMA 800.

It all worked well from my observations. And since I stayed parked in 800, the signal strength indicator had full bars or one less than full bars throughout the whole Waco area. My concern is having everyone parked on 800 may oversaturate that carrier. But I guess since it can hand back off to 1900 easily, maybe that's not an issue?

Robert - one question -- were you using a standard PRL or maybe one that might have favored 800 for some reason???

When you think about it, using 800 when idle is a great way to have maximum bars showing on the handset. Will make the users say "WOW" after years of seeing one bar or less.

When you think about it, using 800 when idle is a great way to have maximum bars showing on the handset. Will make the users say "WOW" after years of seeing one bar or less.

Psychology. Sprint could even use the slogan "More Bars in More Places."

;)

AJ

• Like 4

No, handsets control only idle state handoffs. The network directs traffic state handoffs.

AJ

Care to explain any further? I thought on a CDMA network the handset always was in control of which sector it was connected to?