Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

Today's mapping update...........

I decided to try Encinitas Blvd again earlier this afternoon hoping to map the East side of it. Before I did that, I got onto /Garden View/Via Cantebria which always instantly switches over to LTE. Once I got to Encinitas Blvd via Via Cantebria, LTE switched back to 3G at the traffic light before I made a left heading East to get on Encinitas Blvd. It does it everytime for some odd reason. I headed East, and once I stopped at the El Camino Real/Encinitas Blvd intersetion, LTE pops up on LTE Discovery. Instead of continuing East in which I couldn't do being in the far right turn lane, I mapped up El Camino Real heading a little more South, then made a U-turn at a traffic light on Willowspring Dr. As mentioned before, someone mapped Santa Fe Dr which was the next street down. So that's now connected. While making the U-turn heading back to the intersection, LTE was running strong with all 5 bars, and right when I was about to turn on Encinitas Blvd to to head East, 3G is back on. On the Eastside, 3G speeds were faster than normal. Didn't do a speed test to get number results, but browsed the net while waiting at stop lights.

On way back home taking El Camino back north to O'side, LTE Discover quickly picked up a quick LTE signals somewhere in between Cannon Dr and Kelly Dr. Didn't have Sensorly on at the time to map it. But did pick up LTE, and mapped at the top of the hill passing through Chestnut Ave, all the way to El Camino Real/Carlsbad Villiage Dr. Since last week, These sites are becoming more and more live from what I've noticed taking most of these different routes to and from work.

• Like 1

I noticed on Sensorly, that LTE has popped up on I-8 just past the county line in Imperial County, appears to be in the town of Ocotillo. How long has that been out there

Its been there awhile. It was probably the 10th LTE site in San Diego market.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

So that's now connected. While making the U-turn heading back to the intersection, LTE was running strong with all 5 bars, and right when I was about to turn on Encinitas Blvd to to head East, 3G is back on.

Bars? The GS3 doesn't show LTE signal in bars, that's the 1x connection. To see the LTE signal strength you need to see the network status, or the LTE engineering page.

Today's mapping update...........

I decided to try Encinitas Blvd again earlier this afternoon hoping to map the East side of it. Before I did that, I got onto /Garden View/Via Cantebria which always instantly switches over to LTE. Once I got to Encinitas Blvd via Via Cantebria, LTE switched back to 3G at the traffic light before I made a left heading East to get on Encinitas Blvd. It does it everytime for some odd reason. I headed East, and once I stopped at the El Camino Real/Encinitas Blvd intersetion, LTE pops up on LTE Discovery. Instead of continuing East in which I couldn't do being in the far right turn lane, I mapped up El Camino Real heading a little more South, then made a U-turn at a traffic light on Willowspring Dr. As mentioned before, someone mapped Santa Fe Dr which was the next street down. So that's now connected. While making the U-turn heading back to the intersection, LTE was running strong with all 5 bars, and right when I was about to turn on Encinitas Blvd to to head East, 3G is back on. On the Eastside, 3G speeds were faster than normal. Didn't do a speed test to get number results, but browsed the net while waiting at stop lights.

Hey Marv, I really do appreciate your Encinitas updates.

As you have time, could you map the loop from ECR east on Encinitas Blvd down to Rancho Santa Fe (where the Pancake House is) then north on RSF up to Olivenhain Road, and back west to ECR.

My other query would be Coast Hwy south from La Costa down to Swami's and Solana Beach, and the major arteries off of it that go to El Camino Real - Leucadia Blvd, Encinitas Blvd, Santa Fe, and Manchester.

Thanks!

As you have time, could you map the loop from ECR east on Encinitas Blvd down to Rancho Santa Fe (where the Pancake House is) then north on RSF up to Olivenhain Road, and back west to ECR.

My other query would be Coast Hwy south from La Costa down to Swami's and Solana Beach, and the major arteries off of it that go to El Camino Real - Leucadia Blvd, Encinitas Blvd, Santa Fe, and Manchester.

Thanks!

3dog, I mapped up that little shopping center where the LA Fitness is located on El Camino Real/Encinitas Blvd. I noticed for the first time Sprint panels are located on the side and back of the 99 Cent store building. Next was heading East  after mapping the shopping center, but the entire network goes out just as I was about to turn, along with Sensorly freezing up losing data. About a minute or so later, it comes back on showing 3G. Other than that, I'll go out maybe later on in the week, and see if anything pops up in the areas you mentioned.

Thanks!

3dog, I mapped up that little shopping center where the LA Fitness is located on El Camino Real/Encinitas Blvd. I noticed for the first time Sprint panels are located on the side and back of the 99 Cent store building. Next was heading East  after mapping the shopping center, but the entire network goes out just as I was about to turn, along with Sensorly freezing up losing data. About a minute or so later, it comes back on showing 3G. Other than that, I'll go out maybe later on in the week, and see if anything pops up in the areas you mentioned.

Thanks Marv1.  I appreciate your checking out those places when you get a chance.

I too have that loss of signal on Encinitas Blvd, right about that location (bottom of the mall driveway at Encinitas Blvd., and one more spot on the other side (west) of ECR on Encinitas Blvd. up near the top of the hill  It's been that way for more than 2 months now.  I sure hope they fix it soon.  Might have to call Sprint and complain.

Thanks Marv1.  I appreciate your checking out those places when you get a chance.

I too have that loss of signal on Encinitas Blvd, right about that location (bottom of the mall driveway at Encinitas Blvd., and one more spot on the other side (west) of ECR on Encinitas Blvd. up near the top of the hill  It's been that way for more than 2 months now.  I sure hope they fix it soon.  Might have to call Sprint and complain.

I mapped to Manchester earlier this afternoon. Again network/data was lost east of Encinitas Blvd. Great news for me today is that I now have LTE at work (next door to Encinitas Car Wash)! Noticed it turned on around 1:45 pm this afternoon when I checked my phone. Finally! Since I'm on the east side of El Camino Real, I'm going to try  east of Encinitas Blvd later on, and see what happens.

Just mapped east of Encinitas Blvd, more west of Encinitas Blvd, mapped over El Camino Real heading north in between Encinitas Blvd passing through Garden View.

• Like 1

Just mapped east of Encinitas Blvd, more west of Encinitas Blvd, mapped over El Camino Real heading north in between Encinitas Blvd passing through Garden View.

Great job Marv1.  I see the new mappings on Sensorly.  You're making great progress.

The 4G network had definitely stabilized recently. I've had nothing but 4G in the Faraday area in Carlsbad. Also, it seems to be spreading more in University City. I've had it at home, at Doyle, near LIAI on the UCSD campus, at the Vons on Arriba, and a bunch of other places in the area.

I mapped the rest of Encinitas Blvd heading west earlier this afternoon to the coast, then turned back around heading east when 3G came back on the 101. Mapped a little more of Manchester, then took freeway heading back North, and mapped some of the 5 where LTE was picked up.

• Like 1

Mapped more of east Encinitas Blvd all the way down to Manchester/Rancho Santa Fe intersection.

• Like 2

Del Mar Heights Rd hasn't been on for me since the first time I mapped it a few months back.

Palomar Airport Rd. and the 5 has also been off for a while.

Golden Hill still had it on Friday night. mapped it a bit, although it doesn't look like it added too much to the map.

The new phone might seek out networks less often to preserve its battery. A weak signal is definitely bad for battery life. I noticed that with 4G this week, my battery had lasted longer. Also, if you use the LTE Discovery app, you'll notice that it uses airplane mode to get around this.

it seems like I picked up way more 4G signals with my crappy samsung victory 4g lte phone than with my HTC One which is brand spanking new. why is that?

The Galaxy Victory 4G LTE is actually a really good RF device that could give most flagship phones a run for its money. iirc, it's RF characteristics are right around if not slightly above the GS3. The HTC One's RF characteristic is slightly below the GS3.

• Like 1

Del Mar Heights Rd hasn't been on for me since the first time I mapped it a few months back.

Palomar Airport Rd. and the 5 has also been off for a while.

Golden Hill still had it on Friday night. mapped it a bit, although it doesn't look like it added too much to the map.

I've also noticed Carlsbad has been off for a good while. All areas of Oceanside and Encinitas that has LTE is off to. I had slow crappy 3G speeds, and a lot of stalling all day at work.

it seems like I picked up way more 4G signals with my crappy samsung victory 4g lte phone than with my HTC One which is brand spanking new. why is that?

A couple of reasons. We theorize (but haven't been able to prove yet) that the phones have a way of 'learning' where LTE is, and will connect better over time. Also, as has been said, your Victory likely has a stronger radio for LTE than the ONE. In a way, that actually helps to as you don't connect to the very week, almost unusable LTE signals. However, once the market is more complete, it won't be an issue. With my ONE, I have no issues connecting to and holding LTE in the nearly complete market of Kansas City. 

The Galaxy Victory 4G LTE is actually a really good RF device that could give most flagship phones a run for its money. iirc, it's RF characteristics are right around if not slightly above the GS3. The HTC One's RF characteristic is slightly below the GS3.

Hey Lilotimz. 

Where does the RF characteristic info come from.  Is it on the web somewhere?  I'd like to know before I screw up when I go to get my next phone.  I assume others would too.  Great info to know.

Thx

Edited by 3dog

Hey Lilotimz. 

Where does the RF characteristic info come from.  Is it on the web somewhere?  I'd like to know before I screw up when I go to get my next phone.  I assume others would too.  Great info to know.

Thx

Actual member observation and FCC documentation that gets dug up by fellow members. 

The best RF performer probably is the GS4 which is as good, if not better, than that of the Galaxy Note 2 which is a RF beast. In addition, the LG's aren't slouches either. The Iphone's are typically fairly decent in not being horrible but not being the absolute best.

Just got a pretty good speed test at the In-N-Out off of the 67 near the 52. :D Still on the Evo 3D but I'm eligible for an upgrade in a few days.

uploadfromtaptalk1369534577633.jpg

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Back home. Looks like the closest tower to there was 3G approved, but no LTE yet. Also, maybe I'm missing something, but does eHRPD only show on newer phones? I've only seen EVDO revA every time I've run the usual apps.

I think LTE may have been shutoff for more testing. It's been that way the past few days. I was up in Encinitas on Friday in the areas where Marv1 has been mapping, the Mira Mesa & State Route 56 cluster have all been off in this period of time. They're probably tweaking frequencies and stuff like that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2