Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

Anyone have an idea about the 3G upgrades being completed/accepted in the Raleigh market? (see the LTE/ecfsb issues thread)

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's going to be a while. The Raleigh market has quite a bit of old Motorola equipment, ALL of which needs to be replaced.  As far as I can tell before the know LTE/ecfsb issue surfaced they have been primarily focusing on 4G upgrades and leaving 3G for later.  All future work will do simulataneous 3G/4G upgrades. Bottom line I'm going to hold off on buying my nexus 5 for a few months until the dust settles.

It's going to be a while. The Raleigh market has quite a bit of old Motorola equipment, ALL of which needs to be replaced.  As far as I can tell before the know LTE/ecfsb issue surfaced they have been primarily focusing on 4G upgrades and leaving 3G for later.  All future work will do simulataneous 3G/4G upgrades. Bottom line I'm going to hold off on buying my nexus 5 for a few months until the dust settles.

Yeah, I was sort of planning to return mine and revert back to my EVO LTE until they get it sorted out. Who knows, maybe I'll even get it for a few bucks cheaper then.

Right, but hopefully they'll do something like just happened in Charlotte last week and turn on 3G for almost all sites that were 4G only.  They turned on a big 3G cluster just north and east of the Raleigh city limits, which you can see on the sponsor maps.

Right, but hopefully they'll do something like just happened in Charlotte last week and turn on 3G for almost all sites that were 4G only.  They turned on a big 3G cluster just north and east of the Raleigh city limits, which you can see on the sponsor maps.

I'd love for that to be the case but I fear that a lot of physical equipment still needs to be replaced.  Currently the NC complete map shows 4G upgrades only for the majority of Raleigh.  I would stay with a SVLTE device for the time being.

I'd love for that to be the case but I fear that a lot of physical equipment still needs to be replaced.  Currently the NC complete map shows 4G upgrades only for the majority of Raleigh.  I would stay with a SVLTE device for the time being.

When the Network Vision equipment is installed at a site, both 3G and 4G equipment is installed.  In some cases, 3G is brought up first if backhaul is not available, then 4G later.  Other cases, 4G is brought up first if backhaul is available and then 3G turned on in clusters to avoid dropped call issues due to incompatibility of legacy and NV equipment.  But, if a site is 4G accepted, then the 3G NV equipment is already in place.

Edit:  I would agree that until we're sure that the eCSFB issues are ironed out in the Raleigh market that I'd stay with an single or dual band phone.

South east of raleigh on Smithfield Road LTE/EHRPD has been gone for atleast two days now. However LTE has intermittantly popped up. Hiopefully they are making both upgrades now.

LTE spotted on NC42 from the 70 bypass to us70 in Clayton. When I get a chance I will check to see what towers it is coming off of and I will do a speed test on both $G and #G. Also found some LTE on Pritchard road.

• Like 1

Any signs of LTE in Warsaw? I will be in that neck of the woods during the Xmas holidays for 2 weeks. I noticed on Sensorly a good portion of hwy 40 is mappped.

I seemed to be dropping data on every hand off yesterday afternoon through RTP and N Raleigh. Only an airplane toggle would bring my data back.

I was hoping this may mean they were doing work to enable eCSFB, but still no 3G/4G sites in the area, so my N5 is still stuck on 3G :(

1x/3G/LTE service in absolutely horrible in Wake Forest these last few weeks...  I gave in and went to the sprint store at triangle town center.. they told me there is a lot of complaints coming from WF, and it's all stemming from the upgrades which appear to be stalled.

• Like 1

Which tower was it?

RA54XC252

I went and spoke with the men working, they were with Transmit PM LLC out of Massachusetts.... guy said he wasn't there to install new antennas... only to "clear errors" that had been reported. So... the waiting game in Wake Forest continues

What kind of notice? This sounds very vague.

It wasn't a very technical notice.  Just an email stating that these devices will now work in areas where 4G is available.  That could just mean that they have upgraded the switch to support circuit switched fallback.  I have my doubts that they have corrected the disparity between the 3G and 4G build out in such a short time but I am hopeful. 

I also cannot confirm 4g on my 2 day old LG G2... however, I'm running Paranoid Android 4.4 .  Couldn't STAND the factory crap.  I can however confirm that on Killdare and Cary Pkwy, I was able to get the "LTE" signal for 2 seconds before it reverted to 3g by cycling airplane mode.  This was a strong 4g area for my galaxy nexus.  Guess its not fixed yet.  Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

We just had a lot more acceptances of 3G upgrades on existing 4G towers and Legacy towers in Raleigh.  Looks like they are trying to resolve the circuit switch fallback issue by getting all the 3G upgrades out of the way.  Anyone have a Nexus 5 or other triband device that is picking up 4G now?