Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Connect to a N41 Site in Astoria today. 

On a side note I think N41 deployment is slower here in the city then some other places since there are less collocated site between carriers. On LI a lot of towers have received N41 and they have both Sprint and T-Mobile on item. Just a thought I had. 

• Like 1

T-Mobile can be really weird sometimes. Today I was in Downtown Brooklyn and despite being within the coverage of all 3 5G bands, my phone refused to connect to 5G unless I forced it to using the band selector.

Also, when I forced my phone to use Band 41 LTE only, I didn't lose signal. Instead I got this for a split second but then got kicked off. The site broadcasting this signal was further away from me than the n41 site I was able to connect to in the same area. 

BejG4p1.jpg

• Like 1

n41 is officially in my neighborhood! It's not on my home site just yet but it's getting closer. This site was about a 5 minute drive from my house. Still 40MHz according to engineering screens.

The site it was on didn't even have 600MHz antennas on it so T-Mobile clearly sees Band 41 as priority number 1 right now. 

jorrcv1.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

n41 is officially in my neighborhood! It's not on my home site just yet but it's getting closer. This site was about a 5 minute drive from my house. Still 40MHz according to engineering screens.

The site it was on didn't even have 600MHz antennas on it so T-Mobile clearly sees Band 41 as priority number 1 right now. 

jorrcv1.jpg

DUDE! Im here to post the same thing but my actual home site!!! SUPER SURPRISED! I was wondering why all of a sudden, my phone calls were not breaking up! YAY to N41! only 20Mhz of it, but with CA on other bands its performing solidly, (20mbs-60mbs) 
I'm happy with the service now!

• Like 3

I've started to notice N41 popping up in multiple areas of Astoria. Still nothing on my home site but I'm not even sure where my home site is located anymore since we are using T-Mobile. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

I've started to notice N41 popping up in multiple areas of Astoria. Still nothing on my home site but I'm not even sure where my home site is located anymore since we are using T-Mobile. 

If I were you, I'd check Cellmapper.net. The location of your home site may be confirmed there. 

• Like 1

LAA and mmWave from the same site. I wish aggregating mmWave and LAA was part of the 5G spec because the combined speeds would be incredible in NYC.

YkntOYp.jpgzBcFJJ1.jpg

Edit: Also got speeds over 200Mbps on LTE in Brooklyn in the middle of the day using Band 2/12/66 aggregated together. It seems like T-Mobile really has a solid network in northern Brooklyn.

• Like 4

I rode my bike today from Astoria to Red Hook. Saw a decent amount of NR41 Panels. Installs must be happening daily here. One of the sites I saw had both Sprint and T-Mobile, and the Sprint site was a former 5G site so there were tons of NR 41 Panels 

• Like 3

Re: guesses on H+, guarantee H+ will be gone by the time n25/66 start getting used.

Re: VZW LTE going fast, betting they're running LAA, CBRS, or both. As we know from Sprint B41, throwing a bunch of TD-LTE carriers at things is a pretty good way to have high speeds. Particularly if you have to run a dense network anyway (concrete jungle) and are the local telephone company so running fiber to sites is no big deal.

I've been noticing that n71 signal strength has been a bit stronger in my area. It's still not deployed on most towers in my neighborhood but I've been finding myself connected to a weak signal in places where I used to get no signal, even if I forced my phone onto Band 71/n71 only.

I've also noticed that ever since Band 2 was expanded to 15MHz, it's almost always the primary carrier for carrier aggregation. 

I'm glad to see that T-Mobile hasn't stopped the Band 71/n71 deployments. The second closest site to my home recently got 600MHz added to it. Where I used to get no bars on Band 71 in my house, I'm now able to get a super weak signal. My phone refuses to connect to n71 from that site though because the signal is just too weak.

• Like 1

T-Mobile got 10MHz of CBRS in the Bronx. Dish got 20MHz in every borough except Queens where they got 10MHz. Verizon got 40MHz in all 5 boroughs. And Spectrum Wireless got 10MHz in every borough except the Bronx. It also looks like Cox (the cable company) got 10MHz in Queens.

• Like 1

T-Mobile got 10MHz of CBRS in the Bronx. Dish got 20MHz in every borough except Queens where they got 10MHz. Verizon got 40MHz in all 5 boroughs. And Spectrum Wireless got 10MHz in every borough except the Bronx. It also looks like Cox (the cable company) got 10MHz in Queens.
Is 10 MHz of TDD even worth it?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Is 10 MHz of TDD even worth it?

It provides another ~50Mbps of capacity to the network so it may be worth it. Especially since Sprint (now T-Mobile) has been constrained with Band 41 in the Bronx in the past.

It provides another ~50Mbps of capacity to the network so it may be worth it. Especially since Sprint (now T-Mobile) has been constrained with Band 41 in the Bronx in the past.
Constrained how?

31 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Constrained how?

In the rest of NYC Sprint was able to deploy 60MHz for Band 41 but in the Bronx their third carrier was something like 10 or 15MHz for a very long time. T-Mobile's n41 carrier in the Bronx is only 20MHz whereas in the rest of NYC it's 40-60MHz.

In the rest of NYC Sprint was able to deploy 60MHz for Band 41 but in the Bronx their third carrier was something like 10 or 15MHz for a very long time. T-Mobile's n41 carrier in the Bronx is only 20MHz whereas in the rest of NYC it's 40-60MHz.
I had a feel they would buy it in places that lack 2.5 I wonder if that's their same plan with the Cband?

37 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I had a feel they would buy it in places that lack 2.5 I wonder if that's their same plan with the Cband?

I think it is their plan. They'll probably try to buy C-band spectrum wherever they either lack 2.5GHz completely or in areas where they'll struggle to get carrier sizes larger than 60MHz on 2.5GHz.

Found quite a bit of new n71 deployed in Sunset Park and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn today. As far as I can tell it was deployed sometime within the last few weeks since the last time these sites were mapped was in mid-August and they didn't have any Band 71 at the time but my phone picked them up today. Speeds were in the 45-55Mbps range while indoors.

• Like 1

Can anybody identify the antenna on the far left? I'm pretty sure the two antennas on the right are RFS APX16 antennas for Band 2 and Band 4/66. The antenna to the left of that is a 4-port Commscope Band 12 antenna. All of that is pretty standard in NYC.

I initially thought that the antenna on the far left was an Ericsson Air but I think it's too skinny to be that. There is a logo on the bottom of it that looks kinda like an Ericsson logo if you zoom in so I'm not sure. 

FzUoxkN.jpg

20 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Can anybody identify the antenna on the far left? I'm pretty sure the two antennas on the right are RFS APX16 antennas for Band 2 and Band 4/66. The antenna to the left of that is a 4-port Commscope Band 12 antenna. All of that is pretty standard in NYC.

I initially thought that the antenna on the far left was an Ericsson Air but I think it's too skinny to be that. There is a logo on the bottom of it that looks kinda like an Ericsson logo if you zoom in so I'm not sure. 

FzUoxkN.jpg

Not sure on the vendor, but it's an old 2G/3G antenna that was decommissioned but never removed. Doesn't look like it's hooked up.

The B12 CommScope antennas T-Mobile rolled out are all 2 port antennas. I believe this one is from the LNX-6513DS series. They didn't start deploying 4x4 MIMO low-band until the B71 rollout.

• Thanks 1