Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

as of today band 25 being reduced on Sprint side, EARFCN 8321 is 5 MHz vs 8290 10 MHz here in LES. But when I forced roam to T-mobile it still 10 MHz band 2 EARFCN 750.

• Like 2

as of today band 25 being reduced on Sprint side, EARFCN 8321 is 5 MHz vs 8290 10 MHz here in LES. But when I forced roam to T-mobile it still 10 MHz band 2 EARFCN 750.
Give it some time that will change

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

5mhz+ B2 is live all over Queens. Also hit a couple N41 sites.
Is that a 2nd carrier?

No, they expanded from 10mhz to 15mhz.
Oh that's what you're talking about [emoji106]

Got my fastest speeds on T-Mobile 5G yet, today. This is on mmWave in Brooklyn. I have a feeling that the reason I never connect to n41 is because I'm either close enough that I can connect to n261 or so far that I can only connect n71.

Edit: The site has Band 2/12/46(LAA)/66, and n41 installed but it doesn't have Band 71/n71. T-Mobile really confuses me sometimes. 

0BF96Km.jpg

• Like 3

Got my fastest speeds on T-Mobile 5G yet, today. This is on mmWave in Brooklyn. I have a feeling that the reason I never connect to n41 is because I'm either close enough that I can connect to n261 or so far that I can only connect n71.
Edit: The site has Band 2/12/46(LAA)/66, and n41 installed but it doesn't have Band 71/n71. T-Mobile really confuses me sometimes. 
 0BF96Km.jpg
Is B2 10x10 or 15x15?

On 7/9/2020 at 7:28 PM, Paynefanbro said:

0BF96Km.jpg

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Look how B/n71 is deployed in NYC - it's built out to make their 5G coverage map look good, but otherwise provide no real benefit. 

T-Mobile must've heard my complaints about n41 because I ran into it a bunch of times today in Manhattan and in Brooklyn. I've also seen a bunch of sites that have n41 panels installed but that aren't active. A few of the sites with inactive n41 also have those new Ericsson AIR 3446 antennas that support mid-band FDD 5GNR.

Fun fact for people wanting to test n41. If you're on the Prospect Expressway in Brooklyn, there is a site that is eye-level with the highway that has n41. Here is a speed test from it and take a look at that signal strength and upload!
CEff5a4.jpgyBNUi7c.jpg

• Like 5

T-Mobile must've heard my complaints about n41 because I ran into it a bunch of times today in Manhattan and in Brooklyn. I've also seen a bunch of sites that have n41 panels installed but that aren't active. A few of the sites with inactive n41 also have those new Ericsson AIR 3446 antennas that support mid-band FDD 5GNR.
Fun fact for people wanting to test n41. If you're on the Prospect Expressway in Brooklyn, there is a site that is eye-level with the highway that has n41. Here is a speed test from it and take a look at that signal strength and upload!
CEff5a4.jpgyBNUi7c.jpg
What's the n41 BW?

34 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

What's the n41 BW?

I think that in NYC it's still 40MHz for the most part. Outside of that isolated test of a few sites that Milan found a few months ago, I don't think anyone else has found 60MHz n41 here yet. 

Yesterday I drove to the Bronx from Brooklyn by taking the Jackie Robinson to the Van Wyck to the Whitestone Expwy, and then the Bruckner. Somewhere along that ride I connected to n41. I don't know where but when I got to my destination in the Bronx I was connected to n71 and the NR bandwidth field on my phone said 40MHz. This indicates to me that my phone connected to in41at some point and the bandwidth data for n71 was stale. Hopefully this means that T-Mobile has already started n41 deployments deep into the outer boroughs.

Also Verizon's LTE network is extremely fast given their spectrum resources. While in Queens I managed to run a speed test on T-Mobile's 5G and got 192Mbps down and 82Mbps up. In the same spot I ran a speed test on my mom's iPhone X on Verizon LTE and managed to get 337Mbps down and 56Mbps on her 2 year old device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

Yesterday I drove to the Bronx from Brooklyn by taking the Jackie Robinson to the Van Wyck to the Whitestone Expwy, and then the Bruckner. Somewhere along that ride I connected to n41. I don't know where but when I got to my destination in the Bronx I was connected to n71 and the NR bandwidth field on my phone said 40MHz. This indicates to me that my phone connected to in41at some point and the bandwidth data for n71 was stale. Hopefully this means that T-Mobile has already started n41 deployments deep into the outer boroughs.

More likely that you were connected to n41 in Queens(I have connected to n41 in Queens)I have yet to see any n41 in the Bronx, and unfortunately after 600Mhz was reduced, speeds have taken a nose-dive. Still on 10Mhz B2, no more Sprint n41, plus that 600Mhz reduction causing the perfect storm here. Congestion is so bad on 700mhz, my calls constantly cut and drop, only thing that's keeping my situation manageable is the hack to force Wi-Fi calling as primary, since by default, wireless gets priority over Wi-Fi calling. Which in theory makes sense since my signal is fine, but the congestion has completely made it unusable. 😒

So randomly decided to check my engineering screen and I saw that I was connected to n41 tower on 215 and Inwood Manhattan 20 megahertz worth of bandwidth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transitwatch889 said:

So randomly decided to check my engineering screen and I saw that I was connected to n41 tower on 215 and Inwood Manhattan 20 megahertz worth of bandwidth

Finally! Was it on any sort of CA config? Only 20Mhz, I'm assuming it wasn't Standalone since I don't think 5G SA is quite ready.

• Like 1

I've seen the antennas, and noticed network degradation when I pass through the area on my walks. I'll be on the lookout for the antennas more often though because I definitely seen some but just wasn't sure if they were live yet.

Surprise surprise! Finally got the extra 5mhz of B2 on my home site (and probably neighboring sites). It definitely helps since B2 is involved in all CA combinations.
That mean it's 15x15 up from 10x10?