Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I was on the train & i got LTE inside the subway station. The station was 47-50th Street, I was caught off guard by it truthfully. My mom even got a phone call & it was clear. Sprint FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Was able to lock onto a new band 41 and band 26 tower. Around marble hill Manhattan/Bronx

• Like 2

I was on the train & i got LTE inside the subway station. The station was 47-50th Street, I was caught off guard by it truthfully. My mom even got a phone call & it was clear. Sprint FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had great success underground in midtown, at least 10 stations with excellent service..

It's coming from the cluster that was launched near my school.

That was my thought exactly...Signal definitely came from a distance considering the open air of the west side hwy and weak signal..

B25, capacity is not an issue underground, I get about 15mb/sec in most stations at all times.

Capacity I didn't think would've been an issue. Just surprised you had a stable connection underground on b25

Capacity I didn't think would've been an issue. Just surprised you had a stable connection underground on b25

Multiple antennas underground to cover each station, its being built out by transit wireless in conjunction with all the major carriers. So the connection is perfectly stable because your standing very close to the antennas.

I will say though that I notice that my phone drops signal in the tunnels a bit before Verizon does. By that I mean, while the train is leaving the station and enters the tunnel, my phone loses the Sprint signal and then roams on Verizon for a bit longer.

I will say though that I notice that my phone drops signal in the tunnels a bit before Verizon does. By that I mean, while the train is leaving the station and enters the tunnel, my phone loses the Sprint signal and then roams on Verizon for a bit longer.

I guess because im on .15 radio which holds LTE like a beast, i dont see it roam to Verizon..

Went on a small field trip with my girls G2, from 33rd st park ave walked across to 5th ave, then down to 23rd st, then 8th ave, walked back up to 42nd and 8th held a B41 connection through 90% of the walk. (Had two occasions of weird Hand offs, which left me with no data for about 20 seconds then shunted me to 3G, quick airplane mode toggle put me back on B41)  Then walked into the 42nd st train station, perfect hand off from B41 to B25 underground. 

Throughout the whole walk, averaged just over 25/mb sec. Once everything is in place and tuned properly (maybe a radio revision for the odd hand offs)  This network will be unstoppable! 

Personally getting tired of waiting on Google to release the update for the N5, as more  B25 towers come online its becoming more and more difficult for the N5 to connect to any B41 no matter what radio version im on.

Its not just the nexus 5. I think it depends on the neighborhood as I won't connect to band 41 or 26 without a mild signal disturbance to band 25 the network is not prioritizing band 41 it seems as of yet in some places. The site that I get my home coverage from doesn't appear to be upgraded with any band 41 equipment just the sites by the above ground train station. There is a site further away that I picked up on, before from my room. But the signal was so week it shunted back down to band 25 again. So till all sites are online it will be variable load balancing as if u hook on to band 41 consistently in some locals.

Its not just the nexus 5. I think it depends on the neighborhood as I won't connect to band 41 or 26 without a mild signal disturbance to band 25 the network is not prioritizing band 41 it seems as of yet in some places. The site that I get my home coverage from doesn't appear to be upgraded with any band 41 equipment just the sites by the above ground train station. There is a site further away that I picked up on, before from my room. But the signal was so week it shunted back down to band 25 again. So till all sites are online it will be variable load balancing as if u hook on to band 41 consistently in some locals.

The difference is the G2 gets it everywhere, my N5 does not pick up B41 at all..

So we have lg nexus 5, g2 varying radio performance. The HTC duo in the max, and one m8 with simalar performance characteristics!

So we have lg nexus 5, g2 varying radio performance. The HTC duo in the max, and one m8 with simalar performance characteristics!

In many cases the HTC One M8 has a stronger signal than the One Max, at least in my testing.

So the network has started to actively move me off band 25 to band 26 on its own.

My apt. Sorry for being so vague. But noticed it maintained connection to band 26 for almost an hour on its own with out shifting to band 25 and when it it did move to band 25. It moved back to band 26 to increase efficient of the page load with what I can assume a less burden site.

Side note: I was around Fordham in the Bronx and I never knew capacity to be so poor in an area. Nothing would work when traveling through. It wouldnt lock on to band 41 at all and I am pretty sure there are sites in the area. So work must be going on I can only assume. But sites are completely overloaded. I can actually lock onto a tower in my room that cover that area towards the east of me, and its one that has continuously poor throughput when I do.

• Like 1

been noticing pretty lousy LTE speeds in most places depending on the time of day.  in fact, down around Union Square and SoHo it's actually slower than 3G from the other carriers.  very seldom can I get a LTE connection that holds consistent speeds higher than 2 or 3 Mbps, and this tends to be completely erratic depending on one's movement.  and for what it's worth, I've not seen any increase in 3G speeds - granted, I've not really kept up on talk from a few years about the upgrade the 3G service was supposedly undergoing but it's basically unusable in Manhattan. 

to the folks boasting blazing face speeds and mentioning band numbers, I'd love to know what you're doing because for my wife and I, and my best friend and his wife, all of whom work in NYC and use new LTE devices, we're just not seeing anything that could even be described as very good.

Edited by Morningside78

been noticing pretty lousy LTE speeds in most places depending on the time of day.  in fact, down around Union Square and SoHo it's actually slower than 3G from the other carriers.  very seldom can I get a LTE connection that holds consistent speeds higher than 2 or 3 Mbps, and this tends to be completely erratic depending on one's movement.  and for what it's worth, I've not seen any increase in 3G speeds - granted, I've not really kept up on talk from a few years about the upgrade the 3G service was supposedly undergoing but it's basically unusable in Manhattan. 

to the folks boasting blazing face speeds and mentioning band numbers, I'd love to know what you're doing because for my wife and I, and my best friend and his wife, all of whom work in NYC and use new LTE devices, we're just not seeing anything that could even be described as very good.

That's weird because I spend most of my day in SoHo and easily pull speeds nice advertised all day. In fact I was in SoHo, around Wooster Street, to visit my friend at a dance studio. I had LTE and was pulling between 9 and 10 Mbps on average. I probably have some speedtests in my phone still too.

If I were to lose LTE I'd drop to usable 3G. The speeds on 3G are bearable because of how far along the LTE deployment has come.

Oh and I'm using an HTC One M8.