Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Sprint 4G LTE is mainly in the Bronx but there is some splotches around the Brooklyn area & another splotch in a Manhatten near The Rockfeller Center near Times Square. As you get closer to the Bronx , the Henry Hudson Parkway going North has some LTE towers up as well. These towers are secret/tester/teaser towers they haven't been officially announced. I heard the rest of NYC won't have LTE until March or the beginning of the summer which really sucks, but Sprint is making progress & im pleased.

Sprint 4G LTE is mainly in the Bronx but there is some splotches around the Brooklyn area & another splotch in a Manhatten near The Rockfeller Center near Times Square. As you get closer to the Bronx , the Henry Hudson Parkway going North has some LTE towers up as well. These towers are secret/tester/teaser towers they haven't been officially announced. I heard the rest of NYC won't have LTE until March or the beginning of the summer which really sucks, but Sprint is making progress & im pleased.

Work is going on right now across the rest of NYC, the other boroughs will likely have LTE in the next month or so, pretty sure you won't have to wait until Summer. There has been no announcement about the Bronx either yet, and an official announcement might be a couple months away, but LTE will be there whether there is an announcement or not.

Coverage in the Bronx isn't that great now. In my experience you have to be close to the towers to get good speeds. In some areas I've gotten a bar or two and not anymore. I guess they're fine tuning those towers but in a lot of the lightly mapped areas there isn't really LTE anymore. You need to be inside the medium-dark for good speeds.

• Like 1

Coverage in the Bronx isn't that great now. In my experience you have to be close to the towers to get good speeds. In some areas I've gotten a bar or two and not anymore. I guess they're fine tuning those towers but in a lot of the lightly mapped areas there isn't really LTE anymore. You need to be inside the medium-dark for good speeds.

An example of how LTE speeds are very signal strength dependent. There are still many more towers to go in the Bronx, and as they come online, coverage will improve, and speeds will too.

• Like 1

I'll take 1-2 bars of LTE over 3G in almost every instance. Even though signal is nearly covering the borough, it is nowhere near complete. First deploy for coverage, then deploy for density. Density is the key for performance and capacity.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 3

Work is going on right now across the rest of NYC, the other boroughs will likely have LTE in the next month or so, pretty sure you won't have to wait until Summer. There has been no announcement about the Bronx either yet, and an official announcement might be a couple months away, but LTE will be there whether there is an announcement or not.

Thats great & im glad Sprint is making progress , I just wish they'd move faster, & I agree with what Robert said I'd rather have 1-3 bars of LTE than 3G , not all of the 3G towers have been upgraded & the old ones suck, I hope that when they do the NYC Market , they put a couple of towers out in Long Island .

I'll take 1-2 bars of LTE over 3G in almost every instance. Even though signal is nearly covering the borough, it is nowhere near complete. First deploy for coverage, then deploy for density. Density is the key for performance and capacity.

1-2 bars is barely usable for me. Not because of the speed, but because the signal is not stable enough. If I have a real solid 2 bars then it's decent. With 3 bars and up however it's a whole other ball game of course lol. Again, just my experience in the Bronx.

1-2 bars is barely usable for me. Not because of the speed, but because the signal is not stable enough. If I have a real solid 2 bars then it's decent. With 3 bars and up however it's a whole other ball game of course lol. Again, just my experience in the Bronx.

Signal strength is only one factor. Signal quality and carrier capacity can reduce the quality. A very weak signal with a device with a strong radio, with little noise and ample carrier capacity can be crystal clear.

Signal strength is only one factor. Signal quality and carrier capacity can reduce the quality. A very weak signal with a device with a strong radio, with little noise and ample carrier capacity can be crystal clear.

Hey Robert, since we are on the subject of signal strength and quality, I noticed Chicago has a ton of 800Mhz towers, were those sites converted from standard 1900 or were they setup from the ground up? and if they were converted, are they planning on switching all towers to 800Mhz eventually?

Thanks

Hey Robert, since we are on the subject of signal strength and quality, I noticed Chicago has a ton of 800Mhz towers, were those sites converted from standard 1900 or were they setup from the ground up? and if they were converted, are they planning on switching all towers to 800Mhz eventually?

Thanks

At a network vision site, all the hardware is new and replaces all the legacy equipment. The new NV equipment is 800MHz capable.

• Like 1

At a network vision site, all the hardware is new and replaces all the legacy equipment. The new NV equipment is 800MHz capable.

So its more of a logistical thing rather than a technical one in terms of making the switch.

I would love some 800mhz LTE. Too bad it's gonna be a while and my iPhone 5 isn't capable. :-(

Im sure once the density portion of the deployment is well underway..we should see a nice stable situation, take a peek @ chicago, on sensorly, looks really promising.

Im sure once the density portion of the deployment is well underway..we should see a nice stable situation, take a peek @ chicago, on sensorly, looks really promising.

It does. I see a lot of medium to dark shades of purple. I'm a bit concerned about in building coverage though because AT&T and Verizon have very strong signals indoors here in NYC.

In my apartment I have about 3 bars and my cousin with AT&T has 5 for 3G and LTE. So does my sister with Verizon.

It does. I see a lot of medium to dark shades of purple. I'm a bit concerned about in building coverage though because AT&T and Verizon have very strong signals indoors here in NYC.

In my apartment I have about 3 bars and my cousin with AT&T has 5 for 3G and LTE. So does my sister with Verizon.

You should sign up for sponsorship so you can get detailed info on deployment and tower locations. The finished NY deployment is definitely promising.

If you are going to complain about "3 bars" of coverage inside your home, you should go to Verizon or AT&T. Seriously.

On 3G EVDO and 1x voice, there is virtually no difference in performance between the signal strength you would have with 3 bars versus 5 bars. There will be a difference on LTE, but with PCS spectrum, 3 bars or better LTE signal is good. If you want 5 bars everywhere you go, you need another carrier.

I don't care about bars. I care about performance. Bars don't mean much, really. It's a placebo for the ignorant.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 4

If you are going to complain about "3 bars" of coverage inside your home, you should go to Verizon or AT&T. Seriously.

On 3G EVDO and 1x voice, there is virtually no difference in performance between the signal strength you would have with 3 bars versus 5 bars. There will be a difference on LTE, but with PCS spectrum, 3 bars or better LTE signal is good. If you want 5 bars everywhere you go, you need another carrier.

I don't care about bars. I care about performance. Bars don't mean much, really. It's a placebo for the ignorant.

It was not a complaint, nor am I here to do so. It was only an observation that I made over the course of about 9 months. I am not knowledgable on the exact workings and relations between decibels and actual "bars," or cellular technology in general. Merely a faint idea based on the bits and pieces I pick up here and there.

Quite frankly I'm not sure how my post(s) were seen as complaining. I'm just sharing my honest experience and asking questions to better educate myself on the matter because I am curious.

No rush for LTE as I have wifi at home and practically everywhere on campus. I would just like to see how overall cellular and this new LTE technology is competitively stacking up between carriers. It seems exciting.

I would like to formally apologize if it did appear as if I were complaining and/or accepted as so. It is pointless to exhaust one's energy on a forum and I know it would not bring forth any changes on the actual progress of LTE whatsoever. I appreciate the existence of this forum as a learning base for all and I am privileged to speak to other knowledgable members such as yourself.

So uhh, can we put this behind us sil vous plait? :-)

Im pretty sure thats just Sprint , cause I could have 5 Bars outside then I go into my house & it drops to 3 & thats for ever house I go into unless im in the city & even still sometimes it drops to 3 but that doesn't matter , cause I noticed the 5 bar speed outside is sometimes the same as the 3 bar speed inside.

It was not a complaint, nor am I here to do so. It was only an observation that I made over the course of about 9 months. I am not knowledgable on the exact workings and relations between decibels and actual "bars," or cellular technology in general. Merely a faint idea based on the bits and pieces I pick up here and there.

Quite frankly I'm not sure how my post(s) were seen as complaining. I'm just sharing my honest experience and asking questions to better educate myself on the matter because I am curious.

No rush for LTE as I have wifi at home and practically everywhere on campus. I would just like to see how overall cellular and this new LTE technology is competitively stacking up between carriers. It seems exciting.

I would like to formally apologize if it did appear as if I were complaining and/or accepted as so. It is pointless to exhaust one's energy on a forum and I know it would not bring forth any changes on the actual progress of LTE whatsoever. I appreciate the existence of this forum as a learning base for all and I am privileged to speak to other knowledgable members such as yourself.

So uhh, can we put this behind us sil vous plait? :-)

No need to apologize. I was just sharing my feelings about the subject you brought up and provide some explanation. No hard feelings whatsoever.

• Like 1

No need to apologize. I was just sharing my feelings about the subject you brought up and provide some explanation. No hard feelings whatsoever.

Wonderful Robert, thank you.

Im pretty sure thats just Sprint , cause I could have 5 Bars outside then I go into my house & it drops to 3 & thats for ever house I go into unless im in the city & even still sometimes it drops to 3 but that doesn't matter , cause I noticed the 5 bar speed outside is sometimes the same as the 3 bar speed inside.

Same here sometimes. Guess the bars are just an image.

• Like 2