Discussion on what constitutes a beltway, loop, or otherwise

pii100

Wait there's a beltway in DFW? :P

What do you Texans call the ring road around DFW that makes up the 635/20/820 roads? Looks like a Beltway to me.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

What do you Texans call the ring road around DFW that makes up the 635/20/820 roads? Looks like a Beltway to me. Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

We simple Texan folk call that a "loop" :). San Antonio has loop 410 (closer inside) and 1604 (outside).

• Like 3

The terms beltways and loops are synonymous. Sometimes some regions prefer one over the other.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

In Minnesota, apparently I494 and I694 are considered "loops" because they each make a half-circle around the MSP metro area, and together they make up a beltway.

Interstate 494 (I-494) is a loop route making up part of a beltway of Interstate 94, circling through the southern and western portions of theMinneapolis – Saint Paul metropolitan area in Minnesota. The 43-mile (69 km) road is coupled with Interstate 694 (which circles the northern edge of the Twin Cities metro area) at each end, and composes more than half of the major beltway of the region. I-694 / I-494 also act as loop routes for Interstate 35E and Interstate 35W.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_494

I can't believe I just perpetuated this nonsense :wall:

• Like 2

Here in the triangle (aka the Research Triangle, RTP, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) we can't keep anything consistent. I-440 is also called the "inner" and "outer" beltline, which is the same road, just depending on which direction you're traveling. Then the new I-540 is sometimes called the outer loop, even though it's not really a complete loop yet. And most folks just call it "540".

Back in the day....when you were scared to use your cell phone.$$$$$$. Bag phone days.. CB days... I seem to remember saying on the CB ....Hey Good Buddy how we looking back to the Circle City ...... Come back.

or Traveling Eastbound calling over to a 18 wheeler on I-70 asking for bear trap locations on the way to Baltimore Beltway/Loop/Circle

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Might as well add to the mix. Except for Freeways (which I think California has the patent on that), we have here in NYC beltways, highways, expressways, parkways and to me they are all the same crap. The longest parking lot on Earth.

TS

• Like 1

Between this and the "Research Triangle" debate, S4GRU has suddenly been turned into the bickering geography forum.

AJ