Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

I thought backhaul is the first thing they work on when a site upgrade starts. My tower is getting backhaul installed now, and i haven't seen anything else finished yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I believe ur correct.... the pic I posted the other day of the 2 guys installing the conduit, possibly roughing in the fiber and other various cables and not seeing any new hardware in the sky... should confirm that thought...

I wouldn't think they would install all the cabinets and such if they are just going to sit there

I got 6 towers over here with panels and cabinets just sitting.. Only thing left could be backhaul.. Here's a couple of pics..

This is obviously the tower.

ajaje3us.jpg

This is the freshly dug trench from the cabinets to the vault

e7apu9em.jpg

And this is the conduit where no connection has been made yet for the fiber

tazu7u4u.jpg

Closer pic..

tujyze5u.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I thought backhaul is the first thing they work on when a site upgrade starts. My tower is getting backhaul installed now, and i haven't seen anything else finished yet.

I most cases. But not always the case.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

I most cases. But not always the case.

In that case, that must be what's left with the site just south of Julington Creek bridge.

Do sites that have backhaul installed first appear to come online quicker or does it just vary?

so is Jax scheduled to have a massive rollout prior to the new year or is everything scheduled for some time next year?

I believe all the markets are scheduled to be completed before the end of 2013. The majority of the major cities will be first. If you noticed all the small towns that sprint markets as complete is because they are a part of the larger markets they are close to. Sprint has 97 markets but they break them down for PR reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I will probably go across the buckman tomorrow but I doubt my phone will pick up the signal if the site is far away. I went downtown to test out the site that's active there and no dice. I can't even connect to the site out in green cove on cr209 either. If I'm close top the site my phone connects and hold the connection until it drops though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I just stopped by the ocala site about an hr ago and talked to a "new tech construction" employee that said the ocala site is just waiting on Ericsson to do "intigration" on the site. The cabinets and the fiber are all there, he also said that the reason his company is taking so long to do the installs is due to sprint taking a extremely long time to send out the purchase orders for the work!!!

It took about a month after nv panels were installed on the BayMeadows tower. I think the most time consuming part of the upgrade is installing the new cabinets.

• Like 2

I just stopped by the ocala site about an hr ago and talked to a "new tech construction" employee that said the ocala site is just waiting on Ericsson to do "intigration" on the site. The cabinets and the fiber are all there, he also said that the reason his company is taking so long to do the installs is due to sprint taking a extremely long time to send out the purchase orders for the work!!!

Gah! Why would Sprint be taking a long time for the orders???! They have every incentive to push for upgrades!

This is not true. Sprint doesn't send out PO's for each individual site. Sprint has a master contract with each OEM and each backhaul provider. No additional PO's are necessary from Sprint.

However, Ericsson does likely issue PO's to their suppliers and subcontractors. And its possible Ericsson managers may try to use Sprint as a scape goat for their own management. This story does not make sense, and most likely the person you've talked to has been fed a line.

I can tell you unequivocally this is not true and Sprint is not sending out PO's for sites to the subcontractors.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the helpful information here. I have a brand new Note 2 that is not yet activated. Why, you might ask? The Sprint tower in my area of Orange Park is over saturated and I cant even get 3G coverage. This has been confirmed by Sprint numerous times over last 2 months. So I am having to still use my HTC EVO 3D as Wimax works great with great download speed. So just waiting on LTE in my area of Orange Park. From info here it is getting close to me. So thanks again for all your encuraging reports on the progress.

This is not true. Sprint doesn't send out PO's for each individual site. Sprint has a master contract with each OEM and each backhaul provider. No additional PO's are necessary from Sprint.

However, Ericsson does likely issue PO's to their suppliers and subcontractors. And its possible Ericsson managers may try to use Sprint as a scape goat for their own management. This story does not make sense, and most likely the person you've talked to has been fed a line.

I can tell you unequivocally this is not true and Sprint is not sending out PO's for sites to the subcontractors.

Actually, as I read that earlier, I kind of said to myself that Ericsson has been the most behind of any other OEM. This means that Sprint can't be the cause, otherwise, other OEMS would also be behind.

Thanks for all the helpful information here. I have a brand new Note 2 that is not yet activated. Why, you might ask? The Sprint tower in my area of Orange Park is over saturated and I cant even get 3G coverage. This has been confirmed by Sprint numerous times over last 2 months. So I am having to still use my HTC EVO 3D as Wimax works great with great download speed. So just waiting on LTE in my area of Orange Park. From info here it is getting close to me. So thanks again for all your encuraging reports on the progress.

I wouldn't wait to use my note2. You could be waiting months before your home tower is upgraded.

I'm new here and live in the Fleming Island area went to the racetrack at 209 and 17 Racetrack this morning to test out my S3 on lte got nothing. I did the airplane mode on and off a few times and tried a PRL update ... Still nothing... Any advice?

I wouldn't wait to use my note2. You could be waiting months before your home tower is upgraded.

TYBO, I hear what you are saying about not waiting...but...if I activate my Note 2 I lose. At that point I will have no 3G for the Note 2 and no LTE. At least now with my EVO I have fairly fast WIMAX. As I need to have connectivity I will just have to bit the bullet and wait. When I bought the Note 2 I knew it would be a while before LTE was active here in the Orange Park area where I live but I was not counting on Sprint's 3G dying on my local tower. I'm just hoping the wait is not until summer 2013 though.

• Like 1

I'm new here and live in the Fleming Island area went to the racetrack at 209 and 17 Racetrack this morning to test out my S3 on lte got nothing. I did the airplane mode on and off a few times and tried a PRL update ... Still nothing... Any advice?

Go to sleepy hollow off 220... The area around 209/17 wasn't the best on a sunny day can't imagine how Ur would be with this weather.... The sensorly app is Ur best friend :D

Ericson is the hold up not Sprint im sure of this. They are the slowest when it comes to updating towers. Samsung is way ahead of them deploying towers. I live in Ocala also and have been to that tower, they must be working from the outside of the city into the city but at the rate they are going I wouldn't bank on seeing LTE in Ocala until March

I live out near Blanding and Old Jennings. I'be been working with their Dan@Sprint team to get network to fix signal issues. I finally have 2 bars on my street, but it fluctuates between -80 to -95 signal strength.

The 3G speed sucks bad still, so I am hoping for better speed too as I am always up in OP.

There is the new tower at Brannan Field and Old Jennings, but I've yet to get any date as to when that will be built out as i am in a dead zone, even for Wimax when they insist my neighborhood should have both 3G and Wimax good coverage.

The wife wants to get a new phone, specifically the S3, and they have the BOGO offer, but I lose my Wimax if I do upgrade. So i am in the same boat as you. Upgrade for a much better phone, but suffer slow speeds anywhere near us.

Without a LTE phone, I am reliant on this forum for tower upgrades, and when there are enough to cover my area and commute downtown, I will easily jump to a new phone.

I live out near Blanding and Old Jennings. I'be been working with their Dan@Sprint team to get network to fix signal issues. I finally have 2 bars on my street, but it fluctuates between -80 to -95 signal strength.

The 3G speed sucks bad still, so I am hoping for better speed too as I am always up in OP.

There is the new tower at Brannan Field and Old Jennings, but I've yet to get any date as to when that will be built out as i am in a dead zone, even for Wimax when they insist my neighborhood should have both 3G and Wimax good coverage.

The wife wants to get a new phone, specifically the S3, and they have the BOGO offer, but I lose my Wimax if I do upgrade. So i am in the same boat as you. Upgrade for a much better phone, but suffer slow speeds anywhere near us.

Without a LTE phone, I am reliant on this forum for tower upgrades, and when there are enough to cover my area and commute downtown, I will easily jump to a new phone.

The tower on Blanding and old Jennings is already built. It's the flag pole on the corner. BTW clay county has more active towers than any other area in the Jacksonville market. I ditched my WiMAX phone back in May. I don't miss out at all. WiMAX was a big headache and not worth the battery drain. It won't be long before LTE is more wide spread.

• Like 2