Samsung Galaxy Note 2

pyroscott

I don't know if anyone was looking into finding their MSL for their GN2's but it seems to be a fairly easy process.

(I always print mine on a label maker and attach it to the inside of my case next to the battery, because you never know when you will need it)

1. Install Get my MSL from the Play store (when you open an run it will give an error when trying to determine your MSL)

2. Go to dialer, enter ##702146#

3. Run Get my MSL (and voila, it actually will give it to you, No rooting required)

• Like 4

Thanks JohnHovah. This worked but what does ##702146# do?

Long answer: That's a very good question, but if I told you I would have to kill you.

Short Answer: I have absolutely no clue.* (But I know a guy who knows a guy and my assumption, and I don't like making those, is "that it unmasks the hash hiding the MSL from normal view when an app or terminal issues the getprop ril.MSL command. It may unmask all proprietary/hidden hashes for all I know) OK so now the short answer seems longer than the long answer. I should start footnoting. Se la vie. short answers generally have multiple hidden disclaimers, terms, conditions and limitations that we see fit to cover by an asterisk at the end of the short answer, matter of fact I will add that now. pheew, my work here is (edit:almost) done.

Any network bubbas from the old school mobile provisioning/hardware programming arena want to chime in on this?? There are so many obscure codes and hidden features built-in to devices these days, most of which may or may not work and/or are holdovers from a time and technology level long since past.

• Like 1

Sprint will give it to you too, 5 min phone call. No questions asked.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

I've heard headaches either way on that. (i.e. some techs dont know what you are talking about, some techs like to play the 20 question game and sometimes the wait/hold time to get through to an actual person can be cumbersome.

I'm not saying that 60% of the time you can't "easily" get your MSL from Sprint via phone or in-store rep directly; it's just that sometimes if you want the job done {insert adjective}(right/efficiently/quickly/easily), it is better to do it yourself

Sprint will give it to you too, 5 min phone call. No questions asked.

I called twice and asked for my MSL. I don't know if I have terrible luck, or if it really isn't as simple as people make it out to be.

It is much more simple for me to use CDMA Workshop

• Like 1

I called twice and asked for my MSL. I don't know if I have terrible luck, or if it really isn't as simple as people make it out to be.

When did you get a GS3?

Odd, so... hears what I do. I call and I say I'm doing a full reset and switching phones and I need the msl code. Normally they hand it over just like that. Never questioned. But, if not then I'll say the rep from the store told me how and what I needed but he never gave me a code. But really, your all probably right, easier to get it on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not showing an OTA update yet.

Exynos Exploit Security Update

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/01/16/samsung-patches-exynos-exploit-on-galaxy-note-2-epic-4g-touch/

New article from today seems to indicate the International Note II has the update now but some users are reporting battery performance issues.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/01/17/samsung-galaxy-note-2-update-n7100xxdll7-causing-battery-life-problems/

I think I might just hold off on trying to update via Kies unless any early adopters around here report no issues for the Sprint variant.

I'm not showing an OTA update yet.

Exynos Exploit Security Update

http://www.gottabemo...-epic-4g-touch/

New article from today seems to indicate the International Note II has the update now but some users are reporting battery performance issues.

http://www.gottabemo...-life-problems/

I think I might just hold off on trying to update via Kies unless any early adopters around here report no issues for the Sprint variant.

Read somewhere else that it can take up to 30 days for you to get the update. Sprint rolls them out slowly to keep from getting overburdened with the amount of people trying to download the update. If you want the update now, try search through XDA... they might already have the update ready to download and flash.

Anyone running custom ROMS in here? Would like to see a section dedicated per device...

Played around with Jellybomb, but mostly now-a-days, I just stick with Rooted Stock. I wish there were more ROMs available, but I can understand there not being many until the price of the phone comes down.

They have quite a few alphas out built on CM10. AOKP, Paranoid Android. I was using a CM10/Paranoid/AOKP rom but just flashed back to stock as sensorly on that rom wasn't reading that I had a 4g signal. Works fine on stock though.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

They have quite a few alphas out built on CM10. AOKP, Paranoid Android. I was using a CM10/Paranoid/AOKP rom but just flashed back to stock as sensorly on that rom wasn't reading that I had a 4g signal. Works fine on stock though.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I think my biggest issue with ROMs is having to fully format the device before installing. It was fun at first to try out all these ROMs to see what they did, but now that I'm on Rooted Stock, I no longer find it fun to reinstall all my apps and resetup all my accounts on my phone. I had to fully reinstall everything the other day since the LK8 update I did didn't update properly, kept freezing once it got to the Home screen.

I use Titanium Backup, but I always find myself just scrolling through the list of programs that have been backed up and picking one by one which one I want reinstalled since I don't want to reload the phone with apps that I probably don't use anymore. The whole process of getting back to 'normal' took me about two hours to do.

Doesn't take me but about 15 minutes or so with Titanium Backup. I also use AppBak too as I only restore data with Titanium Backup.

Sent from my little Note2

But do you still have to go one by one to restore data with Titanium Backup? Also, what happens with AppBak when it makes a backup list, but the developer pulled their software from the Market?

• 4 weeks later...

Is anybody going to pick up the mophie-esque extended battery case for the Note 2? At $50 I might just have to.

http://gorillagadgets.com/gorilla-gadgets-battery-pack-case-with-flip-cover-for-samsung-galaxy-note-2-4000mah.html

I just don't see the need. 12 hours off the charger with periods of heavy usage looking for LTE coverage and still have 70% battery left.

Sent from my little Note2

I would agree. It does take a substantial amount of usage or unique circumstances to need the extra juice and a few may need it. I actually put up a sarcastic post up on FB after having found this gem of a purchase.

I have been able to bring it down to 15% off the charger with 12-13hrs of heavy usage. I also have a secondary battery and charging unit at the moment. I don't even plug my phone into a charger anymore (rarely) but instead swap out the depleted battery with the fully charged one.

While I may not particularly need it at this moment in time, I think I will purchase one for the sheer fact that it provides slightly more protection than the normal flip cover and the added juice can't hurt. I can recall a time where we had the southwestern US powergrid go out unexpectedly so it will be more of a just in case purchase. Obviously I can charge my devices in my vehicles if necessary, but a little extra juice and protection is not necessarily a bad thing for us road warriors/frequent fliers/heavy users out there.

In case anyone was interested in something to run on their Note2 by yours truly...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2157332

If I wasn't so happy with cm10.1, I'd be all over this Rom

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forum Runner