Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

HTC EVO LTE, Samsung Galaxy S-III, Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper. We have articles about our performance testing that will be posting soon.

Robert

Looking forward to that Robert...would it be a fair statement to say that the S-III had better LTE performance that the EVO LTE in your comparison?

Oh man im like in the process of getting a new LTE phone today or tomorrow. Do you think you could just quickly post the overall results. Like the best phone to hold an LTE signal is X' date=' followed by Y, then Z.[/quote']

If you are only interested in LTE performance alone, all were acceptable except the EVO.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I live out in the west burbs and have increasingly been running into LTE without cycling through airplane mode to see it. I have usually been within a mile of each tower that I get LTE connectivity so signal strength\distance may be why you have to switch between airplane mode so much. Considering I used to get squat not too long ago I feel that great progress has been made out here.

Interesting. Perhaps the Evo's LTE connection threshold is set too high? I say that because as soon I would cycle through airplane mode and get an LTE signal, I would perform speed tests resulting in at least the 3-4Mbps down range. The Evo should be connecting sooner if it can attain those speeds. IMO, 3-4Mbps is more than usable.

Looking forward to that Robert...would it be a fair statement to say that the S-III had better LTE performance that the EVO LTE in your comparison?

When you could get the EVO to connect and hold a signal, the LTE performance was similar. It was just that the EVO LTE connectivity issues are enough to drive someone bat sh!t crazy! Maybe it will be further corrected in a future OTA. But after 3 OTA's it is still not fixed.

• Like 2

If you are only interested in LTE performance alone, all were acceptable except the EVO.

Great thanks, I guess its either Samsung Galaxy S3 or wait for the Optimus G, which I hear is coming within the next month or so.

When you could get the EVO to connect and hold a signal, the LTE performance was similar. It was just that the EVO LTE connectivity issues are enough to drive someone bat sh!t crazy! Maybe it will be further corrected in a future OTA. But after 3 OTA's it is still not fixed.

Hi Robert,

I appreciate your candid thoughts as well as the peek at the upcoming article!

As it is, I got the EVO LTE last week, but the camera died after two days and I returned it to Amazon Wireless...

Am waiting for Amazon Wireless to process the return, and contact Sprint to reset my upgrade status.

I figured on getting a new EVO, but am now rethinking. I ordered the original EVO Wimax the first day it became available and it's been a good phone, tho this LTE issue is troubling. Yes, HTC will hopefully nail down the issue in the future, but I'd like to hit the ground running...

The S-III was my 2nd choice, but may be moving up a slot!

I was at the Harlem Irving Plaza mall this past Saturday and I was stunned when I looked at my phone and saw the 4G Icon. I had a great smile on my face since i live in that neighborhood. No 4G at the house yet though, but it looks like it might be here soon.

• Like 1

Does anyone else notice that the clock goes forward an hour when you connect to lte? It happens about half the

the time for my wife and me.

Mike

It is something Sprint is aware of. I believe it is just the sites that were a part of the Hammond FIT. It will be fixed, but in the interim you can switch off the automatic time zone and the problem will go away.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

The Sprint store at Eola and Aurora roads in Aurora has an LTE signal on their in-store iPhone 5. No way for me to load/run speedtest on it though.

Can you check for LTE by my tower? Right by Eola and Hafenrichter.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I live in Lakeview and have noticed SIGNIFICANTLY improved 3g in many areas on the north side. I almost wonder why they didn't start in the city...closer to the ISPs for backhaul upgrades (fiber in many alleys in Chicago) and no tower climbing...just take the stairs to the roof of whatever building the antenna is on. If they never launch LTE I'd be happy with consistent 1.5mbps 3G...the phone is usable at that point...I'm very happy about the progress though!

I live in Lakeview and have noticed SIGNIFICANTLY improved 3g in many areas on the north side. I almost wonder why they didn't start in the city...closer to the ISPs for backhaul upgrades (fiber in many alleys in Chicago) and no tower climbing...just take the stairs to the roof of whatever building the antenna is on. If they never launch LTE I'd be happy with consistent 1.5mbps 3G...the phone is usable at that point...I'm very happy about the progress though!

Whereas I live only a mile or so north of you in Uptown and have horrible 3G, not usually more than 0.5 or 0.6mbps on my E4GT and even worse on my wife's iPhone 5. My wimax continues to be amazing, full strength and blazing at up to 10mbps, and I'm sure the LTE will be great for the iPhone once it goes live. I just hope we see some improved 3G speeds. When I travel further north into Andersonville, Edgewater, Rodgers Park, etc... I lose wimax and my E4GT becomes useless. My wife didn't even have a phone signal yesterday driving around Rodgers Park....

Unfortunately, if past history with cdmaOne/CDMA2000 is any indication, Samsung is the least of the infrastructure vendors. Plus, Samsung is replacing Motorola legacy -- a double whammy -- in many markets.

AJ

I never understood why they even chose Samsung for the Network Vision project. I have friends in the industry and they do not think very highly of Samsung as an infrastructure vendor.

Any hits of 4g Lte near brookfield, Oak Park, Berwyn area. Supposedly a tower with Data speed was completed at Harlem and Cermack also in Broadview.

if you are looking at network.sprint.com, those are not Network Vision upgrades, but standard network maintenance preformed by Ericsson.

• Like 1

if you are looking at network.sprint.com, those are not Network Vision upgrades, but standard network maintenance preformed by Ericsson.

Ah...Thanks liars told me to check out over there and see all the progress we have made. Maybe they misunderstood me but I think it was just trying to convince me to get sprint. Although I am in the process of doing that. It just pisses me off that I was lied to. Because I specificly asked about 4g lte. Who knows maybe they thought that was the upgrades for that. Cool thanks man.

Edited by Antimatter

Any hits of 4g Lte near brookfield, Oak Park, Berwyn area. Supposedly a tower with Data speed was completed at Harlem and Cermack also in Broadview.

My wife got an LTE signal when were at the intersection of Oak Park and Ogden.

My wife got an LTE signal when were at the intersection of Oak Park and Ogden.

Cook thank you...I am glad to here it is starting to hit in my area. That is not very far from me. Thanks for the heads up.

Cook thank you...I am glad to here it is starting to hit in my area. That is not very far from me. Thanks for the heads up.

Now if only the love would trickle closer to downtown...

Hammond' date=' IN isn't in the EST timezone so that wouldn't explain the clock problem.[/quote']

Who said Hammond is located in the Eastern Time Zone? I said there was an issue with the sites in the Hammond FIT and that Sprint is aware of the issue. I never claimed that Hammond was in a different time zone. And yes, I have indeed explained the clock problem. And I have also offered a temporary work around.

• Like 1

Now if only the love would trickle closer to downtown...

Pure speculation here but I know Chicago probably should have gotten it first being it has the largest population but I think maybe it might be easier to update the towers there. If it is on roof tops even in winter it is much easier to get to then these individual free standing towers. So I think they want to get as much of these out laying towers done before snow. I could be wrong I have never looked at the towers on top of the buildings. Again pure speculation. Hopefully Soon you will begin to get some hits.

• Like 1