Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

For anyone West Wilmette/Winnetka - I was getting a pretty good signal out of nowhere last night inside my home in between Lake st and Winnetka Ave off of Hibbard. Pulled up Sensorly and it looks like two towers in the area are now 4g. Lake at the edens and Winnetka and Frontage.

Pure speculation here but I know Chicago probably should have gotten it first being it has the largest population but I think maybe it might be easier to update the towers there. If it is on roof tops even in winter it is much easier to get to then these individual free standing towers. So I think they want to get as much of these out laying towers done before snow. I could be wrong I have never looked at the towers on top of the buildings. Again pure speculation. Hopefully Soon you will begin to get some hits.

I never thought of the practicality of access to towers during the winter months. You are right, Anti, it seems like it would be much more difficult to work on freestanding towers out in the plains in harsh winter weather than those on the top of buildings in the city. I thought it weird that they were starting in the burbs and working their way in, but maybe there really is a method to their madness...

My only consolation is that my E4GT is blazing on Clear's wimax in the city... I just feel bad for my wife and her brand spanking new iphone 5 with terrible speeds.

I never thought of the practicality of access to towers during the winter months. You are right, Anti, it seems like it would be much more difficult to work on freestanding towers out in the plains in harsh winter weather than those on the top of buildings in the city. I thought it weird that they were starting in the burbs and working their way in, but maybe there really is a method to their madness...

My only consolation is that my E4GT is blazing on Clear's wimax in the city... I just feel bad for my wife and her brand spanking new iphone 5 with terrible speeds.

Really, didn't you buy the iPhone 5, or she buy the iPhone 5, knowing you were going to be stuck on a bogged down antiquated 3G network with speed and capactiy issues, at least until the LTE is actually rolled out later this year, before you made the purchase?

Really, didn't you buy the iPhone 5, or she buy the iPhone 5, knowing you were going to be stuck on a bogged down antiquated 3G network with speed and capactiy issues, at least until the LTE is actually rolled out later this year, before you made the purchase?

I definitely knew that LTE wasn't ready, and knew that it would be a few months (hopefully not longer...). I just didn't think of the 3G speeds because on my E4GT I get incredible wimax coverage just about everywhere I go and so rarely need to fall back on 3G. When I do fall back on it, it always seems to be acceptable. She is definitely getting about half the speed I get on 3G with what testing I have done so far.

Got LTE signal in Huntley, Elgin and Crystal Lake. It was spotty, but 10 Meg Down, 4 Up.

I got some LTE in Elgin as well. There have been some serious upgrades around the Elgin/Schaumburg area in the past week. I used Sensorly last night when I picked up LTE near the Jewell over on Summit and Waverly.

I'm assuming you need to use the 'Map Trip' function to actually have the map update, correct? The only thing I don't like about that is the screen won't stay off, but not a huge deal.

I'm also getting LTE sitting at my desk right near Woodfield Mall. Speeds weren't fantastic (3-4 down, 0.5-1 up) but I wasn't expecting much since I know I'm a ways away from the tower. However, I wasn't able to even get it last week.

Of course, I did just update my ROM to Sprint's latest OTA for the GSIII and put the new modem on to match. That may certainly have something to do with it as well.

I can't seem to get a GPS lock inside where I am, so I can't update the sensorly map right now.

I got some LTE in Elgin as well. There have been some serious upgrades around the Elgin/Schaumburg area in the past week. I used Sensorly last night when I picked up LTE near the Jewell over on Summit and Waverly.

I'm assuming you need to use the 'Map Trip' function to actually have the map update, correct? The only thing I don't like about that is the screen won't stay off, but not a huge deal.

I'm also getting LTE sitting at my desk right near Woodfield Mall. Speeds weren't fantastic (3-4 down, 0.5-1 up) but I wasn't expecting much since I know I'm a ways away from the tower. However, I wasn't able to even get it last week.

Of course, I did just update my ROM to Sprint's latest OTA for the GSIII and put the new modem on to match. That may certainly have something to do with it as well.

I can't seem to get a GPS lock inside where I am, so I can't update the sensorly map right now.

Good to hear. Although I still haven't received the GS3 OTA though!

Well I just finalized everything and got the headache over it turned in to a really big pita experience with in getting a phone. Although sprint was really helpful which made it easier. BUT FINALLY! Come Thursday I am a member of sprint family with a Galaxy S3 and can report any progress by North Riverside, Bewyn/Cicero, Brookfield area and by my lady friend's down in Alsip.

I have more south suburban LTE love to report. My 4G indicator just popped on for the first time (for me) in Markham on the corner of 159th and Kedzie. The signal lasted until I reached the I-57 intersection. The speeds were nice:

Screenshot_2012-10-02-13-48-26.png

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I never understood why they even chose Samsung for the Network Vision project. I have friends in the industry and they do not think very highly of Samsung as an infrastructure vendor.

I was a bit curious about that move too. I imagine the reason was largely financial. If Sprint was determined to divide this project up by three vendors, I think Nokia Siemens Networks may have been a better choice to go along with Ericcson and Alcatel-Lucent. That's assuming that NSN submitted a bid to Sprint, of course.

Good to hear. Although I still haven't received the GS3 OTA though!

I actually hadn't received it either. My wife did, I didn't. I haven't updated her phone to the latest OTA yet either. We're both rooted and have ROMs on there, which IMO, is the best way to go. It usually only takes a few hours for the devs to get their hands on the OTA and make their changes and post them up.

I would assume the upgrade to JB will be a little bit more time, but only a few days, tops. Best thing about it is they always fix what Sprint/Samsung screw up in the first place...

I have a question regarding a tower that was on the list of sites that would receive the NV upgrade. Technically, this tower was about 1000' from my home. The building that it was on burned down about a week ago. What will Sprint do? Will they just eliminate the area? Would they secure another space on another building in the area?

I have a question regarding a tower that was on the list of sites that would receive the NV upgrade. Technically' date=' this tower was about 1000' from my home. The building that it was on burned down about a week ago. What will Sprint do? Will they just eliminate the area? Would they secure another space on another building in the area?[/quote']

There is no definite answer to this, as there is no Playbook issued that handle specific events like this. These things are handled on a case by case basis.

In the long term, they will likely replace the site, finding another nearby viable alternative on which to deploy. Whether they set up a temp cell, deploy a COW or leave the area with a gap in coverage in the interim is unknown.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Tower by my house (Wilson and Western in Chicago) is not connecting today.getting bars, but no signal.Elixir 2(best program IMHO) says connection unknown.

Is this good or bad?

TIA.

Update: after resetting and taking to sprint...

UPGRADED TO eHRPD.

WEEE!!!!

These guys have been parked here for 2 weeks now. I've seen a couple trucks there too and some guys out working, but never had the chance to be able to stop and chat.

(below you'll see my lame attempt at trying to snap a pic while driving with overcast skies)

tower2m.jpg

These guys have been parked here for 2 weeks now. I've seen a couple trucks there too and some guys out working' date=' but never had the chance to be able to stop and chat.

(below you'll see my lame attempt at trying to snap a pic while driving with overcast skies)

[/quote']

I wouldnt doubt theyre leaving their trailers there while they are working in the "area". This is just my guess though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I wouldnt doubt theyre leaving their trailers there while they are working in the "area". This is just my guess though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I was thinking that too, since it's in between the two other major towers in the area.

Quick question on the samsung galaxy S 3, does having the phone option that otimizes wifi connection affect the phones ability to detect a 4G LTE signal?

I don't think it affects it, no, but I turn that thing off as soon as I possibly can. The connections optimizer constantly turns wifi on looking for a signal it can connect to. IMO, that would waste battery when you can just turn wifi on when you're around networks you know.

I don't believe it makes you more or less likely to connect to LTE, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Got the following speeds up by the Great Lakes Naval training center. Was just a few hundred yards from the tower and my Evo didn't pick up LTE until I cycled airplane mode. This is BS and it needs to be addressed very soon!!!!

screenshot2012100420093.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like somebody on Sensorly got LTE on the Kennedy/Dan Ryan between Ohio and Roosevelt. Wonder what tower was broadcasting LTE in the Loop or West Loop.

Oh wow, that's my neck of the woods. It's probably the UIC/University Village tower. It's too bad my Evo wouldn't pick that up unless I airplane cycle the phone. =(

Oh wow, that's my neck of the woods. It's probably the UIC/University Village tower. It's too bad my Evo wouldn't pick that up unless I airplane cycle the phone. =(

I would direct you to the EVO LTE thread to discuss these issues. Members here have been very aware of the issues with connecting with the EVO LTE. They've also been looking at the effects of each OTA for the EVO LTE as well as comparisons to other phones. S4GRU will have an article comparing the EVO LTE connection to GS3 and other phones in the coming days. Here's to hoping that an upcoming OTA will get the EVO LTE to connect to LTE when in range.