Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Wife's iPhone in Darien and Downers Grove. Also some fellow coworkers getting LTE in the heart of the westside of Chicago from about Western to Independance on Jackson Blvd.

I am glad to see that some city of Chicago areas are seeing some LTE. : )

I wonder how long it takes from the time a Tower is completed to the time it get lit? I have one close to my house that was recently added to the completed list and haven't seen a 4G signal yet.

I can't wait for west loop love! in and out of Ogilvie data is for nothing and by Madison and Wacker i can barely get good data. I think I average about 20 kbps down. The more that fills in on Sensorly is really getting me charged too! This new network is appearing VERY promising!!

(side note to Robert - I changed back to Freegs3 and 4g is working great again - but I miss CM10 badly!!)

• Like 1

Anyone have any information about upgrades to the Ukrainian Village area (like Damen and Chicago)? It's been really hit or miss lately, especially last weekend calls going straight to vm and texts coming in hours late.

+1

Oh wow, that's my neck of the woods. It's probably the UIC/University Village tower. It's too bad my Evo wouldn't pick that up unless I airplane cycle the phone. =(

So, technically the tower can transmit a LTE signal over a mile? Since it seems that the UIC tower seems to be over 1.5 miles from the Ohio exit on 90/94.

So, technically the tower can transmit a LTE signal over a mile? Since it seems that the UIC tower seems to be over 1.5 miles from the Ohio exit on 90/94.

Also, is there anything else that needs to be done to be able to pick up the 4G LTE signal? I was actually walking by the 90/94 area which is highlighed on Sensorly as having 4G and it wouldn't pick it up, and my 3G was also very, very slow? I cycled through airplane mode, but nothing happened. Thoughts?

Also, is there anything else that needs to be done to be able to pick up the 4G LTE signal? I was actually walking by the 90/94 area which is highlighed on Sensorly as having 4G and it wouldn't pick it up, and my 3G was also very, very slow? I cycled through airplane mode, but nothing happened. Thoughts?

I'm chalking it up to growing pains if you will. I don't think every site will be available 100% of the time right now. I'm sure as they need to make other changes to the towers, there might be some slight interruptions to LTE or even 3G service.

I don't know this for a fact, it's purely speculation.

I'm chalking it up to growing pains if you will. I don't think every site will be available 100% of the time right now. I'm sure as they need to make other changes to the towers, there might be some slight interruptions to LTE or even 3G service.

I don't know this for a fact, it's purely speculation.

Thank you for responding. :)

I'm not really sure how Sensorly works. I believe if one person at one moment in time gets a 4G signal and has Sensorly on it will fill in on the map. That probably isn't the best indicator for consistent LTE but it's still far better than most carrier site coverage maps.

Okay this is my first smart phone so I don't know how to put up pics or anything but I am Happy to report here at work in Cicero, IL I am hitting 4G. I ran 2 tests on my phone activated minutes ago. It reports test 1@3:33 3441kbps down 1141kbps up and 50ms ping. @ 3:34 it is at 3707 kbpps down 1254 kbps up 59ms ping. Now I am showing 3g again. but it was showing 4g at time of test.

UPDATE: Just ran another test in 3g horrible.323 down 21 up 193 ping. However I moved 5 ft 4G picked up at 5557 down 2261 up and 73 ping.

Note: All tests are from in a building.

Edited by Antimatter

This might be a dumb question but will sprint lte only be in "markets?" Or is their entire network (every tower) going to receive lte? Will they at least be fixing every tower in the country to operate at faster 3G and more reliable calling? Thanks

This might be a dumb question but will sprint lte only be in "markets?" Or is their entire network (every tower) going to receive lte? Will they at least be fixing every tower in the country to operate at faster 3G and more reliable calling? Thanks

They have about 38,000 towers, and all but 100 won't get LTE.

So basically after their rollout is complete, the entire country will be lte which will be more than Verizon. I ask this because I currently have Verizon and everyone knows they're the best as far as coverage. I really want to switch to sprint because of their plans.

Well I just got home and the north half of Riverside and then south end of North riverside where I live by the mall is a hot zone.

Last 3 where taken in my house.

download speeds in mbps-8.38, 11.39, 8.36, 13.38, 12,76, 12.28

upload speeds- 5.63, 5.89, 2.54, 5.96, 5.40, 4.66

pings-66, 57, 58, 62, 65, 45

Anyone in that area should be having a blast.

I just connected to LTE today. Although the phone (Galaxy S3) does not show LTE, it does show 4G.

Western Suburb: 60133

Signal Strength -58dBm 16asu. Mobile network type: LTE:14.

Down: 24229kbps

Up: 11681kbps

Ping: 51ms

This was taken inside my house. Speed above is the fastest speed I received.

Other speeds:

Down:15.0

Up:10.5

Down:19.0

Up:9.4

Edited by mehulg1

Okay this is my first smart phone so I don't know how to put up pics or anything but I am Happy to report here at work in Cicero, IL I am hitting 4G. I ran 2 tests on my phone activated minutes ago. It reports test 1@3:33 3441kbps down 1141kbps up and 50ms ping. @ 3:34 it is at 3707 kbpps down 1254 kbps up 59ms ping. Now I am showing 3g again. but it was showing 4g at time of test.

UPDATE: Just ran another test in 3g horrible.323 down 21 up 193 ping. However I moved 5 ft 4G picked up at 5557 down 2261 up and 73 ping.

Note: All tests are from in a building.

So what's going on with your 3g vs 4g is that the closest tower to you is still not updated to 4g yet and probably not 3g/backhaul either. However, you are close enough to get a weak LTE signal from another tower that was upgraded. Your speeds will improve in both 4g and 3g when they upgrade the tower giving you the really slow 3g speeds right now. LTE is very signal dependent, so that distant signal can only give you 3mbps now, but you will probably see 10+ in the future.

Wife's iPhone picked up LTE twice today while driving around the city. First time was on 90/94 north near UIC (noticed it just past 290). Speedtest pulled 1.67mbps down.

Second time was on Montrose at Clark (at least that's where she noticed it). 13.17 down, 5.01 up.

City's getting some love!

• Like 1

I have reported some okay signals of LTE in North Riverside/Riverside area. I think I have located where the signal must be coming from. Not far is Broadview where I was just at Target @ 17th & Cermack and I was rocking out at 37-38 download speeds and 7-8 upload. I tested it every few blocks on the way home and the signal was getting weaker and weaker. So that is where I am getting my LTE from. I just don't know where exactly the tower is located somewhere over that way.