Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Digi...isn't it possible it may search 800 channels if 1900 channels have a poor EcIo ratio? I don't believe it has to be zero 1900 signal.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Maybe on LTE, I don't know, I haven't read into the controls on the air interface too much on what they can control. But on 1x, not that I know of. The 800smr 1xa network is basically setup like a totally different carriers network. Unless they change the 1x threshold on the phones, your phone will hang on to that 1900 signal for as long as it can. Then it will lose signal and search for the next best network and the 800smr is sitting there.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Maybe on LTE' date=' I don't know, I haven't read into the controls on the air interface too much on what they can control. But on 1x, not that I know of. The 800smr 1xa network is basically setup like a totally different carriers network. Unless they change the 1x threshold on the phones, your phone will hang on to that 1900 signal for as long as it can. Then it will lose signal and search for the next best network and the 800smr is sitting there.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge[/quote']

I would hope the thresholds are designed so that for instance if you're on a call and start to lose PCS, the phone will have a seamless handoff to SMR so the call won't drop.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I would hope the thresholds are designed so that for instance if you're on a call and start to lose PCS, the phone will have a seamless handoff to SMR so the call won't drop.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yes, Yes, Yes, Very important. Currently, the phones hold onto a 1900 PCS signal until the receive level drops to -105 and then the call drops. But after the signal gets below -100 , you start to notice missing words or partial words in a conversation. With the 800 meg being available, Sprint needs to allow the call to switch to 800 when the receive level of the 1900 meg goes below about -100. Yes, allow it to switch back if suddenly the 1900 level gets very good again. Walking into a basement or building interior while using 1900 will quite often drop the call now. Sprint needs to NOT allow that to happen. When the 1900 signal goes to crap status, they need to switch to 800 BEFORE the customer has issues. This is very important and failure to get this right is not an option.

• Like 1

I watch my phone scan 850 when my PCS signal gets poor. Wouldn't it treat 800 SMR the same?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Well, a CDMA1X 1900 to CDMA1X 800 (or vice versa) handoff cannot be a seamless handoff because it is a hard handoff -- an inter frequency hard handoff at that -- but the discontinuity in the traffic channel may be so brief as to be imperceptible.

AJ

I watch my phone scan 850 when my PCS signal gets poor. Wouldn't it treat 800 SMR the same?

Yep, CDMA1X channels 476 and 526 almost assuredly are the second highest priority in the PRL.

AJ

Well, a CDMA1X 1900 to CDMA1X 800 (or vice versa) handoff cannot be a seamless handoff because it is a hard handoff -- an inter frequency hard handoff at that -- but the discontinuity in the traffic channel may be so brief as to be imperceptible.

AJ

I am curious to see if it would hand off as well. Even if it was a hard hand off. I am thinking it won't though. I need to go back and look at the mcc mnc new records in the prl. I don't think it had smr in there. So I am thinking it wouldn't hand off due to the different sid. Kinda like how we don't hand off from native to roaming. It will be a wait and see.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

is there any truth to what some have been saying about Chicagoland? 8/15 turn on?

No way. That's not going to happen. Chicago will not be launched prior to work at least starting in the Loop. Also, there are so many sites waiting for backhaul. The end of September at the earliest. And it may be October.

Sprint hasn't even announced the market is being worked on. Baltimore will be the next market launch.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

On tuesday i posted a picture of workers at tower CH03XC427 in Glencoe. Today's sites complete update had it already accepted. Thats a pretty fast turn around.

Is that the same site? That's crazy. I have never seen a site turn around that fast. Maybe the physical work has been done for awhile and they were just doing some final provisioning? Do you notice any performance improvements?

Is that the same site? That's crazy. I have never seen a site turn around that fast. Maybe the physical work has been done for awhile and they were just doing some final provisioning? Do you notice any performance improvements?

ya this one was as bad b4. high pings and sub.10/mbps.

This was 2 days after the picture. Never had these speeds on it in 5 yrs.

Do you have your LTE radio off? Trying running in LTE/CDMA mode and see if you get even better speeds. The network status should change from " EVDO Rev A" to "eHRPD".

Do you have your LTE radio off? Trying running in LTE/CDMA mode and see if you get even better speeds. The network status should change from " EVDO Rev A" to "eHRPD".

ya I've been on ehrpd in the Chicago market for about 2 monthes now

I don't think eHRPD per se is supposed to be any faster than EVDO.

The only time eHRPD will be faster than EVDO is when the EVDO switch has a logjam slowing down data but the 4G core that the eHRPD is connected to is not.

In most cases a site is slowed down by carrier capacity or backhaul performance. When either if these two culprits are to blame, both EVDO and eHRPD should be affected pretty much the same.

• Like 2