Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Not in the western/southern suburbs. There have been a couple of actual downtown second pcs carrier reports. Not sure what the hold up is, but it should happen just as rapidly as it did outside of the city. It was literally in the span of a few days from nothing to fully blanketed. Maybe the tighter spaced sites in the loop are a problem with interference or something.

All that may be, I just wish we had a cool map where we can see confirmed sites broadcasting and like the other maps color coded pins to denote which sites are like in progress, next 30 days, next 90 days, 1H2015, etc.

All that may be, I just wish we had a cool map where we can see confirmed sites broadcasting and like the other maps color coded pins to denote which sites are like in progress, next 30 days, next 90 days, 1H2015, etc.

I have found so much second carrier, band 26, 8t8r, and in-progress 8t8r in the wild. I wish I had the time to make us a premier map, or to even find the time to contribute to someone else's map.
  • Like 1

I have found so much second carrier, band 26, 8t8r, and in-progress 8t8r in the wild. I wish I had the time to make us a premier map, or to even find the time to contribute to someone else's map.

Yeah me too.  Also makes me wonder what other markets are like in these areas.  Not every market has a Vince, AKA truck driver network vision nerd, constantly filling us in on the situation across the metro area.

• Like 2

Yeah me too. Also makes me wonder what other markets are like in these areas. Not every market has a Vince, AKA truck driver network vision nerd, constantly filling us in on the situation across the metro area.

I try my best to contribute. Network vision has been my obsession for a few years. Since my home tower went band 26 last week, I find myself death gripping my phone, or airplane toggling just to see that 11 sector come up in signal check. I was patient for several, and now I'm enjoying it. My fiancee is always asking me why I'm "gripping my phone like that."
  • Like 1

Could always just browse through the Chicago and other local building permit departments and find the Sprint NV 2.5 8T8R permit applications and issuance. Makes it easier to find the new equipment and helps me out a lot...

I drive through a coverage hole in the western suburbs quite often.  I still lose every voice call that I make or am continuing while in this area on an iPhone 5s.  This hole is one mile south of Central DuPage Hospital to the northern border of Naperville in the village of Winfield and has been there for at least the past two years.  I had a call dropped in that area again today.  I had hoped that B26 would fix the problems in the Winfield Road forest preserve area but they have not had any impact so far.  Hopefully there is more optimization to occur.

Sprint really needs to measure the calls dropped from their towers.  That would help them adjust their coverage in most areas.  Remember the Verizon "Can you hear me now" commercials?  That is what Sprint needs to do as they optimize B26.

Not sure if you're talking about two different things, but it sounds like you expect Band 26 to make a difference for voice coverage. B26 optimization isn't going to do anything for voice, as it's LTE only. Band Class 10, 1x800, on the other hand, is what you need to fill in those gaps. 1x800 has been live for quite some time, and should already be pretty much set. 

• Like 2

Could always just browse through the Chicago and other local building permit departments and find the Sprint NV 2.5 8T8R permit applications and issuance. Makes it easier to find the new equipment and helps me out a lot...

I really only use an actual computer about once a month, and the Chicago permit site isn't very mobile friendly. Even their mobile site. And, I've yet to find the filed permit section on any town's website. We have so many towns here that it could take a very, very long time to browse them all.

I drive through a coverage hole in the western suburbs quite often.  I still lose every voice call that I make or am continuing while in this area on an iPhone 5s.  This hole is one mile south of Central DuPage Hospital to the northern border of Naperville in the village of Winfield and has been there for at least the past two years.  I had a call dropped in that area again today.  I had hoped that B26 would fix the problems in the Winfield Road forest preserve area but they have not had any impact so far.  Hopefully there is more optimization to occur.

Sprint really needs to measure the calls dropped from their towers.  That would help them adjust their coverage in most areas.  Remember the Verizon "Can you hear me now" commercials?  That is what Sprint needs to do as they optimize B26.

Part of your problem is you have a iphone and 800 isn't the top setting in the prl for your phone to scan for 800. I know the area your talking about and my phone had the same issue until I got my galaxy. Now I keep 800 voice though the area, not a strong signal but good enough.

• Like 2

I did speed tests in the city all around where I usually am on the south side and south loop and found that since I was last here in April speeds have pretty much doubled for me. Where I was seeing 3 Mbps I'm seeing about 6 or so now. The second carrier appears to be helping, band 26 was nowhere to be found for awhile today in the city though, then it finally appeared later on towards the evening. EVDO is even working better now, I've noticed this where B26 is live.

In Highland, IN, one of the water towers where Sprint is located I noticed a second set of panels up there now, shorter then the original ones up there, is this 8t8r?

• Like 1

In Highland, IN, one of the water towers where Sprint is located I noticed a second set of panels up there now, shorter then the original ones up there, is this 8t8r?

More than likely.

If band 26 was a person, I'd give her a hug, and a small pat on the rear. I'm in a supply room at my fiance's work in Oakbrook. 4 cinder block walls where she used to get Sprint 1x/Verizon roaming data. Now it's -108dBm b26 with 8mbps speeds. :)

Oh which part/building? I'm in the office building across from the Oak Brook shopping centers

I did speed tests in the city all around where I usually am on the south side and south loop and found that since I was last here in April speeds have pretty much doubled for me. Where I was seeing 3 Mbps I'm seeing about 6 or so now. The second carrier appears to be helping, band 26 was nowhere to be found for awhile today in the city though, then it finally appeared later on towards the evening. EVDO is even working better now, I've noticed this where B26 is live.

if you get a chance, take a picture the next time you can. Because pictures say a thousands words or something like that :D

I try my best to contribute. Network vision has been my obsession for a few years. Since my home tower went band 26 last week, I find myself death gripping my phone, or airplane toggling just to see that 11 sector come up in signal check. I was patient for several, and now I'm enjoying it. My fiancee is always asking me why I'm "gripping my phone like that."

I thought I was the only person that death grips their phone to see that B26 pop up in SCP. Glad to know I'm not alone.

• Like 1

if you get a chance, take a picture the next time you can. Because pictures say a thousands words or something like that :D

A picture of the water tower site? I may be able to do that during rush hour when traffic jams up on 41 past the bridge, then i get a great view of it. The new panels look like the pictures I've seen on here of 8t8r and I didn't think it could be another carrier as everyone already has their places in this area.

I've discovered a network handoff issue in many parts of the western/southern suburbs regarding band 26, and I need the help of members in here. I've been getting dropped down to 3g far too often, and on sites that I know are broadcasting band 26. What I'm noticing is: if I'm on the second pcs carrier, and lose signal from that sector, it will drop me to 3g instead of 26. This doesn't happen when on the regular pcs spectrum...ever. While this isn't the case on every site broadcasting 26 plus a second carrier, it is the case for a large portion of them. I don't know if this is by design, an overlook by engineers, or from the sites only being launched for around a month, and not fully configured. If you know of any sites broadcasting all three 5x5 LTE carriers, try and get your phone on the second carrier, and lose signal by death gripping, or simply by moving away from the sector's reach. Then, try and repeat that process while on the original pcs spectrum. Let's see if we can get a consensus on this issue. I wouldn't even begin to know what to tell Sprint support regarding this issue. I don't have the patience for their endless profile/prl updates.

I suspect that's a site tuning/optimization issue.

Makes me wish I had a direct connection to Ericsson engineers in that area.

Since it's not a widespread market issue, I'm leaning towards them just simply not being optimized, like you said. On the other hand, Chicago has an additional LTE carrier that only a few markets have nationwide. Maybe it's a whole new process for the folks turning on band 26, and things may have been missed.

Since it's not a widespread market issue, I'm leaning towards them just simply not being optimized, like you said. On the other hand, Chicago has an additional LTE carrier that only a few markets have nationwide. Maybe it's a whole new process for the folks turning on band 26, and things may have been missed.

I would say I've had this issue in Chicago. I have gotten many random drops to 3G from B25 where it should've went to B26 instead. No problem at home cuz we don't have the second PCS carrier enabled here yet.

Not sure if you're talking about two different things, but it sounds like you expect Band 26 to make a difference for voice coverage. B26 optimization isn't going to do anything for voice, as it's LTE only. Band Class 10, 1x800, on the other hand, is what you need to fill in those gaps. 1x800 has been live for quite some time, and should already be pretty much set. 

Yes, it should have been fixed by 1x800 (band 10 sorry) but my iPhone 5S is not working properly in this area.  When things like this occur in highly populated "complete" areas, it is no wonder the voice reliability in the tests show a lower than expected score.  It really depends on what device they use for the tests and where they drive during their tests.

Is there an Android app that can show GCI info. and hence I'll be able to see if the 2nd band 25 LTE carrier is deployed? Signal Check Pro does not support GCI info display with Moto X yet.

Found a site broadcasting b26 and both b25 carriers in Glen Ellyn. Seems to be the water tower site.

esubeper.jpg

2y3abe4a.jpg

Is there an Android app that can show GCI info. and hence I'll be able to see if the 2nd band 25 LTE carrier is deployed? Signal Check Pro does not support GCI info display with Moto X yet.

If SignalCheck doesn't show GCI info it's because Motorola doesn't allow access to the needed API or doesn't report GCI properly. You may be out of luck until you upgrade your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If SignalCheck doesn't show GCI info it's because Motorola doesn't allow access to the needed API or doesn't report GCI properly. You may be out of luck until you upgrade your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapata

As a workaround I guess I can pull out the good old spectrum analyzer every now and again. As of 4 weeks ago in the tower near me in Lisle neither the band 26 LTE nor the 2nd LTE on the band 25 were lit up. Does anyone know a procedure on the Android Engineering Debug LTE screen or otherwise, to determine if the 2nd LTE on band 25 is active. It would be far more convenient than the spectrum analyzer.

As a workaround I guess I can pull out the good old spectrum analyzer every now and again. As of 4 weeks ago in the tower near me in Lisle neither the band 26 LTE nor the 2nd LTE on the band 25 were lit up. Does anyone know a procedure on the Android Engineering Debug LTE screen or otherwise, to determine if the 2nd LTE on band 25 is active. It would be far more convenient than the spectrum analyzer.

I believe the UL and DL channels are different than what is usually observed on the original carrier. Not sure what the values are but I know there are screen shots of it further back in the thread.

I always see UL channel as 26665 and DL as 8665, but the 2nd could be lit up and maybe it's a 50/50 chance it may tune to the 2nd. If I keep going back and forth to Airplane mode is there a good chance I'll see those channels change if the site does have the 2nd carrier.

I always see UL channel as 26665 and DL as 8665, but the 2nd could be lit up and maybe it's a 50/50 chance it may tune to the 2nd. If I keep going back and forth to Airplane mode is there a good chance I'll see those channels change if the site does have the 2nd carrier.

If you're on a tower that has the second carrier, a few airplane toggles should land you on it. Look for 8315/26315 in your LTE engineering screen.