Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

In other markets that are doing Clearwire conversions the new GCI are Market Band 25 then 900+ and end with 3x. So if you are seeing 012XXX32 it may not be a small cell it may just be a clearwire conversion. It just happens that Clearwire had a small cell network in NYC so many of the conversions will be small cells. I think what may give away non small cells may be the sector number if you see 32/33/3A/3B it may not be a small cell.

In other markets that are doing Clearwire conversions the new GCI are Market Band 25 then 900+ and end with 3x. So if you are seeing 012XXX32 it may not be a small cell it may just be a clearwire conversion. It just happens that Clearwire had a small cell network in NYC so many of the conversions will be small cells. I think what may give away non small cells may be the sector number if you see 32/33/3A/3B it may not be a small cell.

All Clear macro sites in NYC Start with either 02 or 03, all 012A, 012D or 0129 are older clear wimax small cells converted to LTE.

Also would like to point out, that NYC is using Samsung Clear equipment that already support 2xCA, so they will likely hold on to these for a while. They generally perform well, plus no government mandate to replace them.

So we will likely not see mini macro conversions here.

All Clear macro sites in NYC Start with either 02 or 03, all 012A, 012D or 0129 are older clear wimax small cells converted to LTE.

Yes when the PLMN is clearwire but other markets are seeing that the Clearwire GCI are moving to Sprints 310120 with a change to in the GCI.

Also would like to point out, that NYC is using Samsung Clear equipment that already support 2xCA, so they will likely hold on to these for a while. They generally perform well, plus no government mandate to replace them.

So we will likely not see mini macro conversions here.

If there are breakdown of equipment or capacity issues these will be upgraded at some point. If it is the equipment breaking they could replace them with mini macros. If they are upgraded for either reason the GCI will most likely be changed to fit into their GCI system. All I am saying is be careful with the word all or assuming all. Equipment can break or act up at anytime and be replaced. There should also be some 012B and 012C sites. There is usually some kind of pattern even if it is Nokia-ALU.

:tu:

So the plan is to eventually replace all Clear sites with this awesome sauce? I could see them extending the life of Samsung clear equipment with HPUE.

Not all. Some will stick with mini macros. But since it's samsung equipment in Nokia land they'll eventually swap over to some flavor of Nokia equipment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm definitely getting a small cell in the Bronx near 176th and 3rd Ave. It's hard to pinpoint; my school is 4 stories tall across the street from Tremont Park, which has a huge hill that the 4th floor can look over. The lower floors of the building, and the hill, form a tunnel along 3rd Ave. The reason I'm stating this is that when I'm on the 4th floor I can pick up signals I can't on lower floors or the street, and it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from without going for long walks... But, for the goodies...

GCI: 012B7831

EARFCN: 40072

79l0ssj.png

XGfo2aX.png

Edited by jaybiz81
  • Like 3

I'm definitely getting a small cell in the Bronx near 176th and 3rd Ave.  It's hard to pinpoint; my school is 4 stories tall across the street from Tremont Park, which has a huge hill that the 4th floor can look over.  The lower floors of the building, and the hill, form a tunnel along 3rd Ave.  The reason I'm stating this is that when I'm on the 4th floor I can pick up signals I can't on lower floors or the street, and it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from without going for long walks...  But, for the goodies...

GCI: 012B7831

EARFCN: 40072

79l0ssj.png

Awesome find that GCI combined with that EARFCN=BINGO!

• Like 1

There is a small cell right where Wendys is on 3rd avenue, it could be coming from that location.

I was right next to this small cell by the Wendys and LTE speeds were about 2mpbs down and 1mpbs up. I was connected to band 41 but I would think speeds would be mich higher if this was a Sprint small cell. Perhaps it belongs to abother carrier?

I was right next to this small cell by the Wendys and LTE speeds were about 2mpbs down and 1mpbs up. I was connected to band 41 but I would think speeds would be mich higher if this was a Sprint small cell. Perhaps it belongs to abother carrier?

There is an issue with that area they might still be working out the backhaul.

• 2 weeks later...

Not related to NYC but I was in Orlando over the weekend and sprint is embarrassingly bad... it's night and day compared to our NYC. I mean it's bad down there. Like I was back in 2012.

Edited by Palan
  • Like 1

Not related to NYC but I was in Orlando over the weekend and sprint is embarrassingly bad... it's night and day compared to our NYC. I mean it's bad down there. Like I was back in 2012.

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/orlando-fl/2016/2H

I wonder why then rootmetrics says Sprint has a good network in Orlando or they just cherry pick the locations they test.

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/orlando-fl/2016/2H

I wonder why then rootmetrics says Sprint has a good network in Orlando or they just cherry pick the locations they test.

My cousin lives in Orlando and uses Sprint and is relatively happy, must have been the locations he visited. Also, Sprint is pretty damn impressive in NYC.

Let me tell you where I was. I was around Celebration ave at the Radisson. I went to get some thai food at thai thani 600 Market St #110, Celebration, FL 34747. One bar of LTE with unusable speeds inside and outside. Another location is the Cheesecake factory at saw grass mall.

No LTE inside with barley usable 3g. Outside there is LTE but its slow as heck.. cmon 1mbs down?

The City Walk at universal was especially bad.

If I lived in that area I would have switched in a heart beat. Good thing I am very happy with Sprint in NYC.

Let me tell you where I was. I was around Celebration ave at the Radisson. I went to get some thai food at thai thani 600 Market St #110, Celebration, FL 34747. One bar of LTE with unusable speeds inside and outside. Another location is the Cheesecake factory at saw grass mall.

No LTE inside with barley usable 3g. Outside there is LTE but its slow as heck.. cmon 1mbs down?

The City Walk at universal was especially bad.

If I lived in that area I would have switched in a heart beat. Good thing I am very happy with Sprint in NYC.

I switched back to Sprint last October and I'm loving it. I had jumped shipped in 2012 to At&t and decided to give Sprint another chance and their network has improved tremendously.

I was in Providence, RI for Thanksgiving and it was great out there too.

• Like 6