Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

does anyone else seem to have the music player start for no apparent reason??

I can't figure for the life of me how it keeps starting up, but the only thing remotely similar when it does happen seems to be that 5 times out of 10 sensorly is running in the background. any thoughts?

I'm having this same thing happen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm having this same thing happen.

Do you use sensorly? If so I think i will uninstall and see if that resolves it. The only other modification I made to the device was rooting to install gmail 4.2, but I unrooted and flashed back to stock so I could receive the jelly bean firmware update. Of course that being said I also used the zip file to update to JB that was provided here because the ota firmware update was taking too long.

So it can only be three possibilities in my case.

1. Root broke some piece of firmware.

2. Sensorly or another background service is initiating the startup

3. The zip I flashed had some error in it

Although based on what I have heard from a few people with similar issues, there may be an issue with the JB update caused by the dual voice action services (Google now and svoice conflict) where the phone is accidentally "listening" and believes I wish to start the music player.

Either way there is something going on. On a completely (un)related? and humorous note, I have experienced the music player starting inappropriately long before any mods, rooting or the latest firmware update. I used to mess with svoice and ask it inappropriate questions. When I would address svoice as a person and say something obscene directed at svoice, it would open the music player and play a song. I thought Samsung may have just had a sick sense of humor and flagged certain voice prompts to do something completely different from the intended result.

Who knows, maybe svoice is somewhat self aware, she did tell me on several occasions "that is not a very nice thing to say" or similar response when I used profanity. Go figure.

Do you use sensorly? If so I think i will uninstall and see if that resolves it. The only other modification I made to the device was rooting to install gmail 4.2, but I unrooted and flashed back to stock so I could receive the jelly bean firmware update. Of course that being said I also used the zip file to update to JB that was provided here because the ota firmware update was taking too long.

So it can only be three possibilities in my case.

1. Root broke some piece of firmware.

2. Sensorly or another background service is initiating the startup

3. The zip I flashed had some error in it

Although based on what I have heard from a few people with similar issues, there may be an issue with the JB update caused by the dual voice action services (Google now and svoice conflict) where the phone is accidentally "listening" and believes I wish to start the music player.

Either way there is something going on. On a completely (un)related? and humorous note, I have experienced the music player starting inappropriately long before any mods, rooting or the latest firmware update. I used to mess with svoice and ask it inappropriate questions. When I would address svoice as a person and say something obscene directed at svoice, it would open the music player and play a song. I thought Samsung may have just had a sick sense of humor and flagged certain voice prompts to do something completely different from the intended result.

Who knows, maybe svoice is somewhat self aware, she did tell me on several occasions "that is not a very nice thing to say" or similar response when I used profanity. Go figure.

I'm not rooted and no I don't run sensorly which leads me to believe its either a zip error or jelly bean bug. My calendar was also reset today randomly on its own and I'm not happy about that. Also I use my headphones a lot and when I am listening to music then start an app, the music will start to play on the phone speaker once the app is started. If I unplug the headphones and plug them back in. I can restart music on the drop down menu then resume the app, but once I touch the app the music comes back on the phone speaker. How lame. Is there anyway to go back to stock ICS and wait for the ota update to see if I'm having the same problems?

I'm not rooted and no I don't run sensorly which leads me to believe its either a zip error or jelly bean bug. My calendar was also reset today randomly on its own and I'm not happy about that. Also I use my headphones a lot and when I am listening to music then start an app, the music will start to play on the phone speaker once the app is started. If I unplug the headphones and plug them back in. I can restart music on the drop down menu then resume the app, but once I touch the app the music comes back on the phone speaker. How lame. Is there anyway to go back to stock ICS and wait for the ota update to see if I'm having the same problems?

the music app always started for me pre-update when sticking headphones in. so clearly we have a JB bug that needs an OTA patch. I know the JB firmware allows you to control "applications" now and I enabled the music option and disabled hoping it would fix the problem... but alas, no joy

Have you tried the Google Services Framework method ?? I used that this past Saturday and it worked for me.

Applications>All>Google services framework>clear data-force stop>system update>update Samsung software.

This method will usually work although you may have to do it several times, I tried about 30 times before it got it others have gotten it in as little as 2.

After I got the OTA but didn't start it right away, I used this method to load Jelly Bean and it ultimately worked. However, the first couple of times that I tried it, I missed the "force stop" step, and from that point forward (even after the successful J B update) my S3 isn't able to find the CDMA BID, NID, BSID, nor any of the other CDMA identifying characteristics. This is the case in Netmonitor and CDMA Field Test, and Sensorly fails to detect 2G/3G data (though it does find LTE). Everything else including calling, text, and data seem to work perfectly (and also seem to be somewhat snappier with J B ). What have I done??? And how do I fix it???

After I got the OTA but didn't start it right away, I used this method to load Jelly Bean and it ultimately worked. However, the first couple of times that I tried it, I missed the "force stop" step, and from that point forward (even after the successful J B update) my S3 isn't able to find the CDMA BID, NID, BSID, nor any of the other CDMA identifying characteristics. This is the case in Netmonitor and CDMA Field Test, and Sensorly fails to detect 2G/3G data (though it does find LTE). Everything else including calling, text, and data seem to work perfectly (and also seem to be somewhat snappier with J B ). What have I done??? And how do I fix it???

Did that stuff stop working before or after the JB update? If it stopped working afterwards, then it may just be a part of the update. I know they changed something in the RIL, because MSLReader is no longer able to find the MSL number on JB-updated phones. Maybe this is related. I don't use the stock ROM, so I can't check if it works for me. Anyone else?

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with missing the "Force Stop" step of the directions.

Did that stuff stop working before or after the JB update? If it stopped working afterwards, then it may just be a part of the update.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with missing the "Force Stop" step of the directions.

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, it stopped working before the update, so I am fairly sure that the 'force stop' (or something related to it) was at least part of my loss of carrier data. Anyone have any thoughts?

hello all, just wondering if anyone here came fro the iphone 5 to the s3, and can say which ones of these 2 handles calls or data better. hasitent to make the jump from my ip5 that cant make simultaneous call/data to the gs3 that can do it on both LTE an 3g. help...

• 3 weeks later...
hello all, just wondering if anyone here came fro the iphone 5 to the s3, and can say which ones of these 2 handles calls or data better. hasitent to make the jump from my ip5 that cant make simultaneous call/data to the gs3 that can do it on both LTE an 3g. help...

I hear that both are great performers for voice 3G and LTE data. The iPhone 5 (as of now) scans more often for LTE than the other LTE phones Sprint offers, so you will probably see 4G more often during the early phases of LTE deployment (unless you constantly flip the airplane mode switch).

The iPhone scans for LTE every few seconds while others scan every 30 minutes. You can force a manual scan with airplane mode. This is an advantage for seeing LTE but a disadvantage for battery life.

More LTE scans (iPhone 5) or SVDO (Galaxy S 3). It's your choice.

If you got a new S3 recently did it come with Jellybean? A friend is thinking of getting one tomorrow and asked me if the come with it.

In the past with other phones I have bought it almost always prompts for the ota right after activation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you got a new S3 recently did it come with Jellybean? A friend is thinking of getting one tomorrow and asked me if the come with it.

Probably not but it should start downloading it right away.

Sent from my SPH-L900

When my phone boots it will come on then reboot itself. Everytime I turn it on. JB is crap if you ask me. There are lots of little bugs

It's not JB, that's for sure. Too many ROMS based on the leak LJ7 that don't have this problem, either update.zip is corrupted or some other problem. A little bit of ODIN with a stock ROM and a reflash could fix the problem.

You're probably a factory data reset away from having the issue stop...have you tried ANYTHING instead of just assuming that software that's been deployed to THOUSANDS of phones so far has a flaw in it ...More detail would be quite helpful.

I just ordered a GS 3 online at Best Buy. People at the store told me the GS 3 would only be available in stores for $48, but it was online as well today. The usual 30 day return policy has been extended to Jan 24, '13, so I've got 60 days to find a great deal on the GN 2 before I decide to keep the GS 3. No lines for me, I'm a happy camper!

• Like 1

I just ordered a GS 3 online at Best Buy. People at the store told me the GS 3 would only be available in stores for $48, but it was online as well today. The usual 30 day return policy has been extended to Jan 24, '13, so I've got 60 days to find a great deal on the GN 2 before I decide to keep the GS 3. No lines for me, I'm a happy camper!

Man, I'd be all over the GN2. Night and Day difference. ;-) There will be a price drop soon.

• Like 1

Man, I'd be all over the GN2. Night and Day difference. ;-) There will be a price drop soon.

BB has had 2 $100 one day sales on the GS 3 in the last few weeks. A store mgr. (for what it's worth) told me they would do the same with the GN 2 in the not too distant future. Probably when enough of the 5" 1080p phones get to market or the GS 4 is announced they'll have a special. I've got 60 days to make that happen

My device is definitely slower since upgrading to Jelly Bean OTA.

Even after 2 factory resets.

It feels like a previous generation device, a performance downgrade, rather than the upgrade I thought would take the S3 to the next level. definitely disheartening.

My device is definitely slower since upgrading to Jelly Bean OTA.

Even after 2 factory resets.

It feels like a previous generation device, a performance downgrade, rather than the upgrade I thought would take the S3 to the next level. definitely disheartening.

I'm using CM10 on my S3, and it's the smoothest, best phone experience I've ever had. Jellybean is amazing when it works well.

If you're not the rooting/ROM-flashing type, have you tried disabling all the Samsung bloatware you don't use? When I first got my S3 and was still running TouchWiz, I disabled any and all Samsung apps I could, and the RAM availability and performance increased twofold.

I could see why they would be pissed, but they shouldn't advertise "price match" if they didn't want to match prices like that.. Should have made some "exceptions" to the rule...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two from our local Sprint store. One came with JB, the other I had to upgrade. Now, the upgrade process was a pain. It stalled and I had to do a force close. Following that I was getting some strange behavior from ICS 4.0.4. Finally I did take it back, had it erased and reset with JB 4.1.1. Everything is working very smoothly now.

I found that cutting back on animations, or disabling them really gave mine a real battery boost. I would also recommend, getting rid of the Samsung bloatware too. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking on my wife's phone and LTE is turned on and everything but when you go to ##data, view, then advanced and scroll down it shows LTE is disabled. I toggled the lte mode off and on but still shows disabled. My note 2 shows enabled. What does others show?

Sent from a little old Note 2