Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

The galaxy nexus was the worst RF performing smartphone i had ever used. It did perform well in NYC last summer with ultra tight cell spacing, but back home it was unable to hold a constant signal, and gave me fits while making calls or trying to access any data on EVDO.

That said, i have the GS3 now and it performs like a new device after flashing the MC3 build. Similiar side by side performance with an iPhone 5...which i considered the crown jewel on Sprint; along with the Note 2.

Yeah the note 2 is a beast at getting and holding a lte signal.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So, here's a naive (maybe even dumb) question inside a long-dead thread: Samsung's GS3 specs (and GS4 specs, for that matter) state that the device is capable of connecting to both 1900 and 800 MHz LTE, generically speaking.  Of course, we all know that each wireless vendor has a unique variant of the GS3. My question is therefore entirely theoretical.  I have no expectation that Sprint would ever do anything like I am thinking of, even if it would work.

To wit: Since the GS3 has antennas that can receive and broadcast both 1900 MHZ and 800 MHz signals, and since the GS3's software is capable of receiving and transmitting FDD LTE, is there any theoretical reason why a software/firmware upgrade could not enable 800 MHz (Band 26) LTE on existing GS3's?  Or is there specific, non-existent  hardware required to enable Band 26 LTE on the GS3?

Thanks in advance to those of you who know something about cell phone engineering (or, for Samsung, maybe "enginerring").

The s3 for sprint will never work on BC 26 ...missing hardware... The 800mhz that's shown to be supported is 800smr bc 10 for voice...not lte Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

I guess my question really is, What hardware is missing?  I'm just curious.

So apparently the Galaxy s3 supports 5GHz wifi  :blink:

I'm surprised a communications guy like you didn't know that.  Ever heard of WiFi Analyzer?  It's a great app and I use it all the time on my building or campus wifi installs.  It works on both bands, though not at once.

• Like 1

I'm surprised a communications guy like you didn't know that.  Ever heard of WiFi Analyzer?  It's a great app and I use it all the time on my building or campus wifi installs.  It works on both bands, though not at once.

I had never gotten mine to connect until yesterday, and I had to toggle it through a WiFi analysis app.

So apparently the Galaxy s3 supports 5GHz wifi  :blink:

For at least "tentpole" handsets, 5 GHz Wi-Fi became standard about a year and a half ago.

AJ

For at least "tentpole" handsets, 5 GHz Wi-Fi became standard about a year and a half ago.

AJ

Up until a few weeks ago i had only used 5GHz for P2P applications.  My laptop supports AC wifi, but until i discovered that wifi analyzer allows  for connection to the 5GHz band on the GS3 I was under the misconception that the radio is 2.4 only and limited to some 38.5mbps on the DL. Since my ''discovery'' I have left it on 5GHz.

-Will

Up until a few weeks ago i had only used 5GHz for P2P applications.  My laptop supports AC wifi, but until i discovered that wifi analyzer allows  for connection to the 5GHz band on the GS3 I was under the misconception that the radio is 2.4 only and limited to some 38.5mbps on the DL. Since my ''discovery'' I have left it on 5GHz.

-Will

If you have the SSID the same for 2.4 and 5ghz I have found the devices will always scan for 2.4 first.  I run different SSIDs for each band so this isn't an issue for me.

If you have the SSID the same for 2.4 and 5ghz I have found the devices will always scan for 2.4 first.  I run different SSIDs for each band so this isn't an issue for me.

I have 3 Unifi AC ap's set up and continue the same SSID for unity.  However on the Mikrotik I should differentiate them. 

I have 3 Unifi AC ap's set up and continue the same SSID for unity.  However on the Mikrotik I should differentiate them. 

I wish all devices and wireless cards had the option to set the 5ghz preference.  I have too many SSID's due to this with 3 VLANs.

• Like 1

OK, not as involved with smartphone internals as many here, and many of those folks have moved on to the S4. Maybe a stupid question, but I saw a reference to it happening with a Nexus phone, is there something that goes on with the flash or anything else that causes a phone to start running REALLY MUCH slower than it used too be?

I've had my S3 since July 2012, use it what I would say moderately versus most here, 70%+ are phone/speaker calls, maybe 5% navigation, rest if almost all email or web surfing. It just seems so much more sluggish responding, on what I believe is the up to date version 4.1.2. Still have 6.6GB free and Ram still shows 752MB free currently. Its not delays in data, just general really bad lags between screen switches both within and switching out of particular apps. Is there any way to figure this out?

fyi, does not seem to be helped by restarts. Also have never had an SD card in the phone so delays writing to that should not be an issue. Flipping between menu screens seems about the same and pretty snappy. K9 mail especially seems to be running slow, I do keep 2-3,000 current emails synched (wish it could handle the full inbox). Would use gmail but its garbage with AOL (which is likely the problem child with gmail) you spend time deleting only to have emails "reappear". :(

As a side note anyone know of a good email client that "plays well" with AOL?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with my GS3, and I was wondering if you guys know what's up. Recently, the USB port broke and stopped charging (corrosion due to something), so I picked up a wireless charger to charge it. It came in today, and now the phone boots up and everything, I factory reset it, but it won't charge past 0%. It shows up as charging and it turns on fine, but it just won't go past 0%. I'm leaving it off and charging for a while longer, but I'm not sure it will make a difference.

I'm having an issue with my GS3, and I was wondering if you guys know what's up. Recently, the USB port broke and stopped charging (corrosion due to something), so I picked up a wireless charger to charge it. It came in today, and now the phone boots up and everything, I factory reset it, but it won't charge past 0%. It shows up as charging and it turns on fine, but it just won't go past 0%. I'm leaving it off and charging for a while longer, but I'm not sure it will make a difference.

Qi charger? Are you using the correct amps charger? With my old palm pre if I didn't use the correct charger with the cradle it wouldn't charge. Maybe try different Qi chargers. There's like 10 of them now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Qi charger? Are you using the correct amps charger? With my old palm pre if I didn't use the correct charger with the cradle it wouldn't charge. Maybe try different Qi chargers. There's like 10 of them now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm using one that mentioned the S3 and came with an S3 wireless insert, so I'm assuming it's the correct amperage. The wall wart and pad both say 1.5A, which is roughly the same as the wall charger I was using before the port went kaput.

Sweet 11/6. Samsung must've pressured the carriers so that they could sell more Galaxy gears. Especially since the return rate for the watch is rumored to be bad.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

It's supposed to be around 30%. But I'll believe it when I see it. Especially on Sprint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk 4