Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, utiz4321 said:

And the quarterly earnings are there to sell sprint stock. The cant lie on either, so the smart move is to listen to both to fill in the story. They dont contradict each other, rather the tell different parts of the same story. Put them together and any reasonable person would side with the merger. 

I believe from a business standpoint, yes! Who'd argue with removing one competitor, merge resources, cut cost, and potentially charge higher rates and lower Capex.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I believe from a business standpoint, yes! Who'd argue with removing one competitor, merge resources, cut cost, and potentially charge higher rates and lower Capex.

Lowe CAPEX? Try a shit ton of debt and not being able to gain scale to lower CAPEX. ATT and vzw both spend more on capex than sprint. The market would be better with three competitors instead of two and two also rans. Where does T mobile go with 5g? You'll see both sprint and T mobile get killed in the next 5 years. But hey, maybe you are smarter than the market and the combined decisions of 340 million consumers. Maybe, but I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Lowe CAPEX? Try a shit ton of debt and not being able to gain scale to lower CAPEX. ATT and vzw both spend more on capex than sprint. The market would be better with three competitors instead of two and two also rans. Where does T mobile go with 5g? You'll see both sprint and T mobile get killed in the next 5 years. But hey, maybe you are smarter than the market and the combined decisions of 340 million consumers. Maybe, but I doubt it. 

Dude! this is about corporate profits, it's a business. Sprint and T-Mobile going at it alone will force innovations and slow individual growth, that requires more time and money, more than Softbank is willing to divest.

Botton line, maximizing profits is there main concern. Not somehow magically improving service.

5 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Dude! this is about corporate profits, it's a business. Sprint and T-Mobile going at it alone will force innovations and slow individual growth, that requires more time and money, more than Softbank is willing to divest.

Botton line, maximizing profits is there main concern. Not somehow magically improving service.

Dude! Every business is about profits. Just because sprint and Tmobile's profits are helped by the merger doesnt mean that it isnt good for consumers. In fact if we get to three carriers because one goes bust that would be the worst situation for consumers. Wireless is an industry that has high returns to scale, that means the most efficient outcome for consumers is a market with a few players. I dont blame you, american schools, even colleges, are terrible at teaching economics unless you are getting a degree in it. 

16 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Dude! Every business is about profits. Just because sprint and Tmobile's profits are helped by the merger doesnt mean that it isnt good for consumers. In fact if we get to three carriers because one goes bust that would be the worst situation for consumers. Wireless is an industry that has high returns to scale, that means the most efficient outcome for consumers is a market with a few players. I dont blame you, american schools, even colleges, are terrible at teaching economics unless you are getting a degree in it. 

Less competition is better for consumers..said no one ever!

You do not need a degree in economics to understand the basics of this. Also, as much as Sprint and T-Mobile try to convince government officials how they will die without this merger it simply is not true. I'm glad your happy that the "New Tmobile" excites you, but take a look at the CPU market and the great things Intel's dominance did from a consumer standpoint the past decade, overpriced reiterations of the same product.

Luckily AMD caught them with their pants down. Now Intel is a mad rush to just keep up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

Less competition is better for consumers..said no one ever!

You do not need a degree in economics to understand the basics of this. Also, as much as Sprint and T-Mobile try to convince government officials how they will die without this merger it simply is not true. I'm glad your happy that the "New Tmobile" excites you, but take a look at the CPU market and the great things Intel's dominance did from a consumer standpoint the past decade, overpriced reiterations of the same product.

Luckily AMD caught them with their pants down. Now Intel is a mad rush to just keep up.

Actually yes, economist say that all the time. I am sorry you are ignorant and dont even care to educate yourself but that really is your problem. In 2000 there we're 8 national carriers and like 7 regional ones and prices were higher,you had regional plans and all you had was voice and text. Just Take the current spectrum holdings and divide it up among 8 players, what the hell do you think 3g looks like let alone LTE? 

Please dont comment on subjects you have no understanding of, it is embarrassing. 

7 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Actually yes, economist say that all the time. I am sorry you are ignorant and dont even care to educate yourself but that really is your problem. In 2000 there we're 8 national carriers and like 7 regional ones and prices were higher,you had regional plans and all you had was voice and text. Just Take the current spectrum holdings and divide it up among 8 players, what the hell do you think 3g looks like let alone LTE? 

Please dont comment on subjects you have no understanding of, it is embarrassing. 

The fact that you believe your word is the last one on this issue with your "Please dont comment" comment.says alot about the lackluster points you've put forth.

There is no silver bullet to solving the consumer benefit\corporate profits best case scenario, otherwise government approval would not be in question.

I will let this argument end with the more respectful "agree to disagree" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

The fact that you believe your word is the last one on this issue with your "Please dont comment" comment.says alot about the lackluster points you've put forth.

There is no silver bullet to solving the consumer benefit\corporate profits best case scenario, otherwise government approval would not be in question.

I will let this argument end with the more respectful "agree to disagree" 

You were making arguements based out of ignorance and i called you out for that. I didnt claim my word was the last one, unlike you I don't claim to know the appropriate number of players in the wireless industry. You do and it is based on nothing but muh feels, clearly. Statements such as "yeah less competition is a good thing for consumers, said no one ever" is beyond ignorant. 

5 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

I know one way to covince me that the merger will be good for me. Call me unreasonable, stupid, really stupid, and lazy. 

If the merger goes through I will be jumping to ATT. 

Good call. 

Ps. I am not trying convince anyone the merger is good for any paticular person. 

17 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

I know one way to covince me that the merger will be good for me. Call me unreasonable, stupid, really stupid, and lazy. 

I'm already thinking of Verizon myself..

I do not want to be around while integration is happening to say the least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

I'm already thinking of Verizon myself..

I do not want to be around while integration is happening to say the least.

Wait, why exactly are people not wanting to be around during integration? Why is that the trigger for leaving?

4 minutes ago, Thomas L. said:

Wait, why exactly are people not wanting to be around during integration? Why is that the trigger for leaving?

The thought of thousands of sites being decommissioned, billing systems just not talking to each other, merging macro sites and equipment. Stores that won't know how to deal with each others devices or policies and plans, tech support floating between both companies. 

At best, will be months of issues, at worst years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

The thought of thousands of sites being decommissioned, billing systems just not talking to each other, merging macro sites and equipment. Stores that won't know how to deal with each others devices or policies and plans, tech support floating between both companies. 

At best, will be months of issues, at worst years.

The merging of networks shouldn't be a big pain. They largely overlap, and where they don't those sites will not be going anywhere. With most recent phones supporting the majority of LTE bands offered by both carriers, you probably won't see much in the way of service disruptions, especially with VoLTE and SMS going over LTE as well.

I'm not entirely sure how billing will go, but assuming plans don't get touched during the transition, I don't see it being a huge hassle. 

I would guess some people don’t want to apart of those games again like the rip and replace and would just to another carrier instead. 

I honesty don’t see too much disturbance happening especially if you have a device that can easily fold into T-Mobile’s current network. I really don’t see the Sprint plans making up and would probably need to change your plan upon upgrading. I think for me I’ll just jump on my current T-Mobile plan that I play for my parents. It’ll just be one less thing to worry about. 

I just don't want to be on t-mobile's network. If I go too deep it would go way off topic. If all big three are evil and no little guy to hope to for. I might as well go to the one that works the most in my house even though I only use wifi at home.

I just don't want to be on t-mobile's network. If I go too deep it would go way off topic. If all big three are evil and no little guy to hope to for. I might as well go to the one that works the most in my house even though I only use wifi at home.
I'm on AT&T prepaid. Not too happy with the phone I have by that works. I did give Sprint a try for a day my friend graciously let me borrow her phone for a day and I haven't seen any Improvement at all in the area where my parents live so I can't say Sprint works for me.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

With most recent phones supporting the majority of LTE bands offered by both carriers, you probably won't see much in the way of service disruptions, especially with VoLTE and SMS going over LTE as well.

As with any corporate promise, I think people should still be prepared to buy new phones in the event T-Mobile doesn't update phones to support VoLTE. 

Sure, those older phones will work with WCDMA fallback, but voice coverage won't be the same. 1900 GSM isn't as robust as 1x1900. 

15 hours ago, greenbastard said:

As with any corporate promise, I think people should still be prepared to buy new phones in the event T-Mobile doesn't update phones to support VoLTE. 

Sure, those older phones will work with WCDMA fallback, but voice coverage won't be the same. 1900 GSM isn't as robust as 1x1900. 

I'm sure there will be some that have to be replaced. Especially any that are probably around two years old or older. But they mentioned that they expected to have some sort of replacement program or at least heavy discount for those that are forced into a new phone. 

19 hours ago, Flompholph said:

You could do that now, nothing is stopping you. 

13 hours ago, Flompholph said:

I have had a lot of dropped calls lately on Cricket. 1x800 works really well in my Faraday cage of a condo.

8 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I'm sure there will be some that have to be replaced. Especially any that are probably around two years old or older. But they mentioned that they exelected to have some sort of replacement program or at least heavy discount for those that are forced into a new phone. 

A lot of newish Sprint phones support Band 66 but not many support band 71. Is T-mobile deploying both LTE and 5G on band 71 or are they just implementing 5G?

T-Mobile phones will probably need to be replaced in greater numbers than Sprint phones.

17 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The merging of networks shouldn't be a big pain. They largely overlap, and where they don't those sites will not be going anywhere. With most recent phones supporting the majority of LTE bands offered by both carriers, you probably won't see much in the way of service disruptions, especially with VoLTE and SMS going over LTE as well.

I'm not entirely sure how billing will go, but assuming plans don't get touched during the transition, I don't see it being a huge hassle. 

For Sprint customers, the merger will be a godsend. The New T-Mobile will have 85,000 macro sites vs Sprint's current 45,000. The average signal improvement for Sprint customers will be 12db. For current T-Mobile customers it will only be improved by 1db. For current T-mobile customers , it is all about the promise of 5G.

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

I have had a lot of dropped calls lately on Cricket. 1x800 works really well in my Faraday cage of a condo.

Yep, Sprint's CDMA 1x800 is GREAT.  I sure hope they keep it around as long as possible.  Right now, VOLTE will not have the same coverage that the 1x800 does. Band 26 LTE(800) will never match the coverage provided by the 800 1x coverage, not even close.

• Like 1