Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

3 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

So what your saying is that 5G technology can replace some of this at a reasonable price?

I'm saying that, given that LTE can do so already, doing so with 5G should be a cakewalk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iansltx said:

I'm saying that, given that LTE can do so already, doing so with 5G should be a cakewalk.

OK I understand. If I’m not mistaken the fifth generation standards won’t be rolled out until 2020.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

I dont see the point of these things. Mergers are not and should not be a matter of Democratic will. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 1:02 AM, JThorson said:

Except Delrahim doesn't seem to have an issue with any mergers. 

I don't like that he feels like anyone can merge with no repercussions. 

It seems that the DOJ has reached out to Sprint and T-Mobile MVNOs about the effects of the merger. Something tells me that one of the merger conditions will be that the pricing structure for MVNO be frozen at the current levels for let's say 3-4years. I also think that they will probably have another condition relating to coverage and 5G deployment targets within 3-4 years.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/doj-reaching-out-to-mvnos-amid-proposed-t-mobile-sprint-combination

Edited by bigsnake49

It seems that the DOJ has reached out to Sprint and T-Mobile MVNOs about the effects of the merger. Something tells me that one of the merger conditions will be that the pricing structure for MVNO be frozen at the current levels for let's say 3-4years. I also think that they will probably have another condition relating to coverage and 5G deployment targets within 3-4 years.
https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/doj-reaching-out-to-mvnos-amid-proposed-t-mobile-sprint-combination
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile-us-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-justice-department-probes-t-mobile-sprint-merger-effect-on-smaller-wireless-companies-sources-idUSKCN1J328E interesting...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

I wonder if they will talk to actual smaller wireless companies that Sprint in particular roams on about the effect of the merger on them.

Edited by bigsnake49

I wonder if they will talk to actual smaller wireless companies that Sprint in particular roams on about the effect that the merger on them.
I'm actually in agreement with you. Because T-Mobile obviously has the larger Network for the most part and the two merging could definitely affect roaming agreements as far as I see.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So much juicy info in the Public Interest Statement that T-Mobile and Sprint put together for the FCC. Page 23 and 24 have some maps that show the projected extent of 5G coverage on both networks in 2024 if they were to go at it alone. Beware, the document is over 600 pages long so if anyone has free time and wants to go through the whole thing, please do!

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10618281006240/Public Interest Statement and Appendices A-J (Public Redacted) .pdf

I'll keep editing as I find more cool stuff.

Edits: I'm still reading but something to note is that on their own, it is expected that by 2021, Sprint will cover more POP's in high-speed 5G than T-Mobile. So while T-Mobile would have greater overall coverage by a long shot, Sprint would  be capable of providing 153 Million POPs with speeds greater than 150Mbps compared to only 10 Million from T-Mobile.

As part of this transition, Sprint customers’ 2.5 GHz LTE traffic will move to T-Mobile’s AWS spectrum, which could not occur but for this transaction. This refarming frees resources to implement a pure 5G network in the 2.5 GHz band as rapidly as possible. As can be seen from Table 1 above, the LTE migration for the 2.5 GHz band is projected to be complete by 2022 for the combined entity, while standalone Sprint would likely still be required to reserve at least (redacted) megahertz of 2.5 GHz spectrum for LTE through 2024 (and would reserve at least some 2.5 GHz spectrum for LTE for the foreseeable future). This means that New T-Mobile will have (redacted) megahertz of 2.5 GHz spectrum dedicated nationally to 5G, as compared to the (redacted) megahertz that Sprint would have on its own—an increase of 75 percent. In addition, by 2024, the transaction will allow all (redacted) megahertz of available PCS spectrum to be dedicated nationally to 5G, whereas the standalone companies would only have (redacted) megahertz of PCS available in some markets.

About one-half of Sprint’s branded customer base, or about 20 million users, have devices that are compatible with T-Mobile’s network and can be integrated into the New T-Mobile network with an over-the-air software update shortly after deal close. Additionally, New T-Mobile will migrate Sprint CDMA voice users to VoLTE (either through a software upgrade or handset replacement promotions). Significantly, the one area of overlapping spectrum holdings—the 1900 MHz PCS band—will allow a seamless integration of Sprint’s existing customers onto T-Mobile’s network. Finally, billing and back office system transitions will occur over time to minimize disruption to distribution, customer care, and operations.

AAGgRHC.png

New T-Mobile’s robust nationwide 5G network will close the speed differential between mobile and wired broadband and have the capacity to handle the diverse needs of in-home broadband customers in many areas. The combined company intends to directly and aggressively compete against conventional in-home wired broadband products, providing consumers with an attractive high-speed broadband alternative to the wired incumbent—some for the first time.

By 2024, the Applicants expect New T-Mobile to provide high-speed, in-home broadband service to approximately 9.5 million subscriber households, equating to approximately 7 percent market penetration, and making New T-Mobile the fourth largest inhome Internet service provider (“ISP”) in the United States based on current subscriber counts.207 Of particular importance, T-Mobile estimates that 20-25 percent of these new subscribers for inhome broadband service will be located in rural areas.

New T-Mobile will offer to become the Preferred Roaming Partner for rural carriers, providing long-term roaming access to the robust New T-Mobile network at industry-leading terms. This will include a roaming program that offers carriers with existing roaming rates with either T-Mobile or Sprint to determine which rates will govern their relationship with New T-Mobile after the transaction closes. Moreover, New T-Mobile will cooperate with rural partners on their 5G roll-out, including providing technical assistance and advice on 5G deployments.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

So much juicy info in the Public Interest Statement that T-Mobile and Sprint put together for the FCC. Page 23 and 24 have some maps that show the projected extent of 5G coverage on both networks in 2024 if they were to go at it alone. Beware, the document is over 600 pages long so if anyone has free time and wants to go through the whole thing, please do!

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10618281006240/Public Interest Statement and Appendices A-J (Public Redacted) .pdf

Edits: I'm still reading but something to note is that on their own, it is expected that by 2021, Sprint will cover more POP's in high-speed 5G than T-Mobile. So while T-Mobile would have greater overall coverage by a long shot, Sprint would  be capable of providing 153 Million POPs with speeds greater than 150Mbps compared to only 10 Million from T-Mobile.

AAGgRHC.png

That doc is sooo juicy with all the tea.  That Sprint 5G map is a mess but its hitting cities that are well off for Sprint.

11 minutes ago, derrph said:

That doc is sooo juicy with all the tea.  That Sprint 5G map is a mess but its hitting cities that are well off for Sprint.

It would be a lot more juicy without the redactions.

However, the performance impact of massive MIMO would occur only in the limited  geographic areas where Sprint would deploy this technology on its own.  Sprint expects to  deploy this feature on approximately  (redacted) sites by the end of 2020

Great.

• Like 2

I fully expect prices to increase within 24 months after the merger is settled, and a stalemate between the big three. Alot of budget minded folks will turn to half-assed prepaid services with unreasonable limitations. I also fully expect a shit ton of new plans with lots of nonsense ways of overcharging us. With three huge competitors, all of similar size, why bother truly competing.

Complacency will be the name of the game for quite some time.

• Like 3

I fully expect prices to increase within 24 months after the merger is settled, and a stalemate between the big three. Alot of budget minded folks will turn to half-assed prepaid services with unreasonable limitations. I also fully expect a shit ton of new plans with lots of nonsense ways of overcharging us. With three huge competitors, all of similar size, why bother truly competing.
I don't think you really understand what is happening here. Number one the current situation is not particularly competitive for At&t or Verizon. The two have the majority of the customers.

This has really lead to two tier market. Tier one being for customers who have more money than sense and the other for more price.

Both Sprint and Tmobile have been able to siphon some customers off of the big two however, at the current rate it would take more than five decades for either Sprint or Tmobile to pick up enough to gain any real competitive momentum.

I am sure market forces would bankrupt one of them or even both before then. Remember Tmobile would have already been bankrupt if the parent company had not transferred piles of debt to themselves, invested heavily into network upgrades and increased holdings. Up until 2013 they were actively looking to unload their shares.

Next for Verizon and at&t 5G has nothing to due with mobile internet and everything to do with fixed wireless. They intend to directly compete with comcast, charter and so on. So does new Tmobile, but they will also have mobile 5G. Verizon and at&t will have to compete on price on the wireless side.

Another issue is Verizon has survived on the back of "Alpha" consumers. It will be hard to sell these consumers having second best and you can't win these customers on bundling and deals.

Verizon has built everything on the reputation of being the very best. When evidence starts to show otherwise, the heat is on.

Do you honestly think that either network alone would be able to knock Verizon off the top spot?

At&t has no interest in the top spot and has diversified into a more profitable market.

If there isn't a strong third player things could get real ugly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

The prices and phone discounts that Sprint and T-Mobile used to retain/gain customers were/are unsustainable. Verizon in particular and AT&T to a lesser degree depend on postpaid customers that appreciate the coverage and network consistency that Verizon/AT&T offer. Sprint and T-Mobile depend largely on prepaid/MVNO customers with much thinner margins. Those margins need to be fatter to promote increased Capex. 

18 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

AAGgRHC.png

I like the fact that the average signal of the new entity will be 12db better than Sprint standalone. So as a Sprint customer I have a lot to gain. But it will only increase T-Mobile's average signal by one db, which means that they don't plan to increase coverage that much from what T-Mobile covers right now. So the 20,000 additional macro sites will mostly be capacity sites. 

I wonder if  T-Mobile's 700MHz and Sprint's 800MHz will carry VoLTE traffic preferentially. 

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

This could be Sprint doing this to help the merger get approved

But as of this mornings filling to the FCC

Sprint offically acknowledges that they can no longer sutain and be of competition to the competitors on their own going forward

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-big-trouble-and-knows-it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I made the switch to T-Mobile and I’m very impressed with their service. I can only imagine what the combine network will feel like.

all of that tea is concerning. I feel betrayed lol. They basically said their network won’t be as good to what they claim it will be months ago. Sprint needs the merger. Whether it’s with T-Mobile or Dish or whoever. Sprint had a good run though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

I like the fact that the average signal of the new entity will be 12db better than Sprint standalone. So as a Sprint customer I have a lot to gain. But it will only increase T-Mobile's average signal by one db, which means that they don't plan to increase coverage that much from what T-Mobile covers right now. So the 20,000 additional macro sites will mostly be capacity sites. 

I wonder if  T-Mobile's 700MHz and Sprint's 800MHz will carry VoLTE traffic preferentially. 

I skimmed the report and alot of good things were said said that made me excited for the merger. I don't want Sprint to go but it was really a eye opener as to the state of Sprint and their network going forward.  I would like to keep my plan but worse case if I can't i'll just jump onto my T-mobile One All In promo plan that I currently pay for my parents which would be an extra $35 per month.

2 minutes ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

I made the switch to T-Mobile and I’m very impressed with their service. I can only imagine what the combine network will feel like.

all of that tea is concerning. I feel betrayed lol. They basically said their network won’t be as good to what they claim it will be months ago. Sprint needs the merger. Whether it’s with T-Mobile or Dish or whoever. Sprint had a good run though.

Hows their data in your city indoors and out?

1 minute ago, derrph said:

I skimmed the report and alot of good things were said said that made me excited for the merger. I don't want Sprint to go but it was really a eye opener as to the state of Sprint and their network going forward.  I would like to keep my plan but worse case if I can't i'll just jump onto my T-mobile One All In promo plan that I currently pay for my parents which would be an extra $35 per month.

Now they are trying to sell this merger so they are painting the financial situation as bleak as possible but I have long said that Sprint is not sustainable on its own without some major investment by their parent who was unwilling to invest in it. I almost wish that Dish had acquired them.