Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

NYC's massive Link5G towers aren't actually providing 5G (yet)

https://gothamist.com/news/nycs-massive-link5g-towers-arent-actually-providing-5g-yet

The vast majority of the massive, metallic towers the city commissioned to help low-income neighborhoods access high-speed 5G internet still lack cell signal equipment — more than two years after hundreds of the structures began sprouting across the five boroughs.

Just two of the nearly 200 Link5G towers installed by tech firm CityBridge since 2022 have been fitted with 5G equipment, company officials said.

Delayed installations and cooling enthusiasm around 5G technology have discouraged carriers like Verizon from using the towers to build out their networks, experts say. The firm only has an agreement with a single telecommunications carrier to deliver high-speed internet, stymieing its efforts to boost mobile connectivity citywide.

— — — — —

Spectrum parent company Charter Communications, and Altice, which owns Optimum, both told Gothamist that they’re not renting space in Link5G smart poles.

“Spectrum has no equipment in the LinkNYC 5G towers and utilizes other technology to provide its mobile service to New Yorkers,” said Charter Communications spokesperson Don Kaplan.

Spokespeople for T-Mobile and Verizon declined to comment on whether they are renting space or plan to rent space in the Link5G kiosks.

Edit:

Whoops, meant to post in NYC thread

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

NYC's massive Link5G towers aren't actually providing 5G (yet)

https://gothamist.com/news/nycs-massive-link5g-towers-arent-actually-providing-5g-yet

Edit:

Whoops, meant to post in NYC thread

So who is on the 1%?

T-Mobile seems to be paying close attention to how much of B2 they refarm for NR, as on this trip down to South Padre Island I saw both 20x20 n25 and 20x20 B2 (but not both simultaneously) at various points on the trip.

At South Padre itself, seems like someone else has 2.5 GHz licensed so the n41 setup here is 20+80 MHz. Speeds are still decent, but VZW has 100+60 MHz n77 live (and AT&T has some 80+40).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Galaxy tab S7 FE.. and galaxy s23 ultra

Galaxy S7 FE most certainly doesn't have the same level of NR CA (if at all), it also looks like it doesn't have SA NR, so it's is inherently going to be much slower since most of the spectrum is now focused on NR rather than LTE. It's likely the same generation radio as the S21 (or maybe S20). Having trouble finding which it would be.

• Like 1

Rinse and Repeat: T-Mobile Tops 3rd Party Network Report Yet Again

It’s a near identical result — T-Mobile winning most categories — to each network report Ookla has published over the last two years.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-dominates-ookla-performance-report-two-years-running

• Like 2

Heads up T-Mobile customers!  If you think you have been spared from the Crowdstrike update error, you might be wrong.  I just figured out that I have been missing some calls since Friday.  I did this first by comparing the T-Mobile Scam Shield logs to my call inbound call activity log and discovered I was missing some calls that don't appear on the inbound call activity log.  Then I tested it with random phones and found many could not connect to my phone (some would not even get voice mail).  Ultimately had T-Mobile re-provision my phone line, plus I reset T-Mobile on my phone.  They said they have been doing lots of reprovisioning since the weekend.  The random phones then connected without issue.

20 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Heads up T-Mobile customers!  If you think you have been spared from the Crowdstrike update error, you might be wrong.  I just figured out that I have been missing some calls since Friday.  I did this first by comparing the T-Mobile Scam Shield logs to my call inbound call activity log and discovered I was missing some calls that don't appear on the inbound call activity log.  Then I tested it with random phones and found many could not connect to my phone (some would not even get voice mail).  Ultimately had T-Mobile re-provision my phone line, plus I reset T-Mobile on my phone.  They said they have been doing lots of reprovisioning since the weekend.  The random phones then connected without issue.

I noticed that I had to reset my Visual Voicemail PIN on my iPhone for some reason. Seems like this explains it.

T-Mobile and KKR Announce Joint Venture to Acquire Metronet and Offer Leading Fiber Solution to More U.S. Consumers

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-kkr-joint-venture-to-acquire-metronet

T-Mobile ... today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to establish a joint venture (JV) with leading global investment firm KKR (NYSE: KKR) that will acquire Metronet including its broadband infrastructure, rapidly growing residential fiber business operations and existing customers. 

— — — — —

Following the transaction’s close, Metronet will become a wholesale services provider for its retail customers and 100% of its residential fiber retail operations and customers will transition to T-Mobile. T-Mobile will have full responsibility for residential customer acquisition and support, leveraging its differentiated retail, marketing, brand and service model, and will utilize Metronet’s deep digital and fiber infrastructure expertise to expand to more households with fiber broadband services. Metronet will focus on build plans, network engineering and design, network deployment, and customer installation. Following the transaction close, Metronet is expected to be self-funding on a go forward basis and it is expected to reach 6.5 million homes passed by the end of 2030. 

7 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I noticed that I had to reset my Visual Voicemail PIN on my iPhone for some reason. Seems like this explains it.

A friend's T-Mobile voice mail box was erased and they had to reset it on Saturday.

13 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile and KKR Announce Joint Venture to Acquire Metronet and Offer Leading Fiber Solution to More U.S. Consumers

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-kkr-joint-venture-to-acquire-metronet

Oh wow, they just brought 2gb connections to my neighborhood. Wonder if there will be a discount 

42 minutes ago, schmidtj said:
  • Swept every category for overall network performance in the latest third-party reports, including most consistent overall network and highest ranking consumer sentiment from Ookla and ranking first for all overall network experience metrics from Opensignal
  • 87% of 5G traffic carried on sites with three spectrum layers, delivering an incredibly consistent network experience
  • Like 3