Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

You're golden. I'm working on getting that data to the powers that be.

I'm very curious and excited to see how much work has been done in town.  I get the impression that anything north of about 285 is plastered with upgraded sites. 

The list of 'in progress' sites has been sent to the authorities. It is 212 sites, and I would expect about half to already be on the map in some state. Even at that, the list sent does not include about 80 sites that I was unable to add at this time. Yes, that means roughly 300 sites are already at least in progress. I will try to add updates as I feel comfortable making them public (ie. you could have seen them).

As always, PM me if you have specific questions about your neighborhood (sponsors only, please, :] ) 

• Like 4

The list of 'in progress' sites has been sent to the authorities. It is 212 sites, and I would expect about half to already be on the map in some state. Even at that, the list sent does not include about 80 sites that I was unable to add at this time. Yes, that means roughly 300 sites are already at least in progress. I will try to add updates as I feel comfortable making them public (ie. you could have seen them).

As always, PM me if you have specific questions about your neighborhood (sponsors only, please, :] )

Thanks for the list. Rickie will start working on it soon. Once he is done, it will show up in my next map update. Or if he works on it pieces, it will probably post in pieces too. :thx:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

• Like 2

More dirt...
Sprint is having some difficulty with switching on the towers due to faulty instillation of the fiber from the Cab to the RRUs. On a bunch of sites the fiber in the hybrid cable is immediately failing and they are forced to switch to the backup (which sometimes fails as well). The construction crews are supposed to scope the fiber before and after instillation and have very strict procedures for installation, but apparently some crews aren't following the rules. This is causing delays in switch-on, as well as issues where the LTE goes live, then disappears a few days later.

• Like 4

I passed this tower several times a week that I think is a Nextel tower. I was curious if sprint is upgrading these towers to the LTE as a regular practice? I'm assuming at some point in time they will be removing the hardware from this tower but have not seen anything yet. Is there anything to watch for? Thanks

post-26409-0-07189700-1381502248_thumb.png

More dirt...

Sprint is having some difficulty with switching on the towers due to faulty instillation of the fiber from the Cab to the RRUs. On a bunch of sites the fiber in the hybrid cable is immediately failing and they are forced to switch to the backup (which sometimes fails as well). The construction crews are supposed to scope the fiber before and after instillation and have very strict procedures for installation, but apparently some crews aren't following the rules. This is causing delays in switch-on, as well as issues where the LTE goes live, then disappears a few days later.

Hope those crews were not from companies that were awarded contracts with credentials other than being "qualified" and "bid competitive".

I located 4G LTE in Thornton, near Grant st and 100th. I decided one night to track down the tower, and I believe I did find it. The image was taken at night, so.. I do apologize for the quality, but I help it helps with the progress tracking.

I was averaging speeds between 11 Mbps down to 24 Mbps down. I had my brother with me, using his iPhone 4, he saw 3G speeds between 1.2 Mbps to 2 Mbps down. Not bad at all!

I am not sure if I could tell who owned the site, Samsung maybe? 

I am using the iPhone 5s.

post-16800-0-48122300-1381773947_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-64973600-1381774043_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-94230700-1381775356_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrimsonKnightDX

I located 4G LTE in Thornton, near Grant st and 100th. I decided one night to track down the tower, and I believe I did find it. The image was taken at night, so.. I do apologize for the quality, but I help it helps with the progress tracking.

I was averaging speeds between 11 Mbps down to 24 Mbps down. I had my brother with me, using his iPhone 4, he saw 3G speeds between 1.2 Mbps to 2 Mbps down. Not bad at all!

Samsung doesn't own cell towers. It's likely owned by one of the many tower holding companies. 

That is Sprint's LTE equipment on that tower, equipment which is made by Samsung. 

It sounds like there have been problems with installation in the Colorado/Denver area, so it's possible the site has been taken down for repairs.

In our sponsor section, we have maps of the exact location of Sprint's sites all over the county, and a map tracking the progress being made at each site. 

Looks like this is if your first couple posts, welcome to the site!

mmm. There is a Jimmy Johns by that pole.

• Like 1

That tower has been converted for a few months, I've never seen it lose LTE service since it went active though.  If you check out the sensorly (www.sensorly.com) map you can get a better idea of where the towers are active. 

That tower has been converted for a few months, I've never seen it lose LTE service since it went active though.  If you check out the sensorly (www.sensorly.com) map you can get a better idea of where the towers are active. 

Thank you. I am going to be in that area again today, I will see if I can pick up the LTE signal again.

Thank you. I am going to be in that area again today, I will see if I can pick up the LTE signal again.

I just went by there earlier and it was active, there is also another one active on 104th and York.

Okay, so... another tower I drive by, on my way to work is at Highway 52 and I 25. I appears there is an upgrade being done to the tower. I am not sure if this is the Sprint tower or someone elses. There are two towers in this same location. 

Last week, they had some guys up there with a crane, but they have not been back since Friday. There is week LTE in the area, but I believe that is further up north on I25 before the 119 exit. 

I took some pictures on the way to work from the Car, I apologize, I tried to zoom in as close as I could. 

post-16800-0-37785200-1381938324_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-83021000-1381938330_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-32328700-1381938336_thumb.jpg

Talked to a crew working on a tower in Highlands Ranch today.  This tower is is close to my work so I have been keeping a close eye on it.  I asked one of them if they were doing NV upgrades and he said yes.  I asked him if the Samsung panels were going to fit inside the tower (it is one of the stealth towers used in HR because of their draconian HOA) and he said he didn't know, they wouldn' be installing them until January.  Just to clarify I asked him if they were upgrading the tower to 4G and again he said yes, so I asked him which panels they would use until they put in the Samsung panels and he said he didn't know and wouldn't until they arrived on site.  Sounded weird to me, but that is what he said.  Either way, I think it can be marked as "In Progress".  I pass there pretty much every day and will try to get a peek inside the tower when they have it open to see what is being installed.

• Like 1

I appears there is an upgrade being done to the tower. I am not sure if this is the Sprint tower or someone elses. There are two towers in this same location. 

You're a sponsor, go look at the maps of the CO/UT/ID market. They are really pretty accurate. I could tell you which tower is directly underneath the pin at that location. 

What's with the hair hanging off the tower about 3/4 of the way up??

You're a sponsor, go look at the maps of the CO/UT/ID market. They are really pretty accurate. I could tell you which tower is directly underneath the pin at that location. 

What's with the hair hanging off the tower about 3/4 of the way up??

Yes sir, I sure did take a look, and it does show in progress.  As I saw the tower with cables hanging over, I am curious on the progress they have made. The picture I shared shows how the tower has looked for the last couple of weeks. I haven't seen anyone up there this week. 

I am thinking they are waiting on moving some fiber optics or waiting on LTE equipment? I don't think I saw any up there in those pictures.