Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

I think the only way they could make the end of June deadline would be to turn on a bunch of LTE sites without the back-haul complete. That would be a bad thing image-wise since it would give the appearance that Sprint LTE was extremely slow.

I could see LTE being 50% complete in Denver Metro within 4 weeks depending on how many crews are working on fiber. The majority of the NV installs are done, (and it looks like Boulder and Highlands Ranch NV are underway).  Missing their announced goal by 2 weeks isn't bad in this business.

I think the only way they could make the end of June deadline would be to turn on a bunch of LTE sites without the back-haul complete. That would be a bad thing image-wise since it would give the appearance that Sprint LTE was extremely slow.

I could see LTE being 50% complete in Denver Metro within 4 weeks depending on how many crews are working on fiber. The majority of the NV installs are done, (and it looks like Boulder and Highlands Ranch NV are underway). Missing their announced goal by 2 weeks isn't bad in this business.

Even that is a little hard to fathom for me. When you think about the fact that backhaul orders were placed probably 13-15 months ago, and this is all we've got so far... -_-

Sorry to be Debbie Downer

Sent from my Nexus 5

Even that is a little hard to fathom for me. When you think about the fact that backhaul orders were placed probably 13-15 months ago, and this is all we've got so far... -_-

Sent from my Nexus 5

The thing is, for us a 99% complete backhaul installation looks the same as an installation that hasn't started. i guess I'm counting on a lot of work in the pipeline that's about to be completed. :2tu:

The thing is, for us a 99% complete backhaul installation looks the same as an installation that hasn't started. i guess I'm counting on a lot of work in the pipeline that's about to be completed. :2tu:

And there are a lot of sites where you believe backhaul is installed? Just curious. I was not aware of that fact.

Sent from my Nexus 5

And there are a lot of sites where you believe backhaul is installed? Just curious. I was not aware of that fact.

Sent from my Nexus 5

No, but I'm guessing (and I am just guessing) that work has started on a bunch of them. In many cases pulling in new fiber from a POP is not a 1 day job.

Sent from my Nexus 5

If this market was still Qwest I believe the backhaul would have been completed in that time frame, as badly managed as Qwest was. In my time as a contractor I have never seen a company that holds on to pennies as much as Centurylink does, and they're even getting paid for the work, imagine if they weren't. Out of 40 ISP jobs I did for them only a handful were completed and the rest were pushed back because of budgeting.

If this market was still Qwest I believe the backhaul would have been completed in that time frame, as badly managed as Qwest was. In my time as a contractor I have never seen a company that holds on to pennies as much as Centurylink does, and they're even getting paid for the work, imagine if they weren't. Out of 40 ISP jobs I did for them only a handful were completed and the rest were pushed back because of budgeting.

Call center I manage used to buy a lot through Qwest. We had several QMOE connections between facilities and data centers etc. We upgraded that recently and purchased additional DS3 service. It got so bad (delays and other issues) that we moved all of our business to XO.

It's sad to see Century Link be this way. Had been optimistic with their acquisition of Qwest.....in hind sight that was foolish.

Sorry, I don't really know where that is. Do you know what band of LTE you were getting before?

The loss/weakening of previously covered areas continues, including part of Aurora around Colfax & 225. I had been getting mostly band 41 with some B25.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

The loss/weakening of previously covered areas continues, including part of Aurora around Colfax & 225. I had been getting mostly band 41 with some B25.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

You are absolutely certain that you are no longer getting LTE in places you know you were getting LTE in before? Can you reconnect with an airplane toggle? Do you see glimpses of LTE than get disconnected? I need more information before I can even begin to guess at what is going on.

I assure you that Sprint is not turning off any of it's coverage. It is only adding more. However, that sometimes can cause issues with already established bands. Expect issues like this to continue until the market is completed. Completion will occur some months after Sprint officially announces Denver as a Spark market, which itself hasn't happened yet. 

I got the following text from Sprint yesterday-

Your all-new network is here, with stronger voice service and data speed.  See how this helps you at http://sprint.us/networkupdate7

Which links to-

We’re thrilled to let you know that the towers you use most have been upgraded!

We do indeed get LTE at home (near cheesman park) but speeds are less than impressive, around 3mbps.

Which links to-

We do indeed get LTE at home (near cheesman park) but speeds are less than impressive, around 3mbps.

Until we pass about the 60% threshold on site upgrades (no where close currently) each individual site is handling more users than it's meant to which means speeds are going to be a little lower for a while. Once we get further along, speeds should begin to level out in the low to mid-10s on Band 25. If you have a tri-band device, then you will have access to Band 41, "Spark."

Sent from my Nexus 5

Which links to-

I'll take those speeds over 12kbps that I'm getting

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Which links to-

Also check your signal strength, if you're not near the tower broacasting LTE and only have 1 or 2 bars you can't expect 10 mbps. Everywhere that I've been with active LTE here in Denver my speeds are 12+ mbps if the phone has full bars. As it goes down to the 2 or 3 bars I get like 6 mbps.

Which links to-

I challenge anybody to prove that they actually NEED more than that.

I'll echo what others say. Until every tower is done, you have congestion issues. Not only that but that's light speed compared to what we saw all over town 4 months ago. Progress it is.

I challenge anybody to prove that they actually NEED more than that.

I'll echo what others say. Until every tower is done, you have congestion issues. Not only that but that's light speed compared to what we saw all over town 4 months ago. Progress it is.

You'd need around 5 for watching HD videos without buffering. That said, I'm hoping for 6 after all is said and done. Reasonable for everything I like to do with my phone. Which is around what WiMax was giving me.

You'd need around 5 for watching HD videos without buffering. That said, I'm hoping for 6 after all is said and done. Reasonable for everything I like to do with my phone. Which is around what WiMax was giving me.

Call me odd but I stream HD at home or in the office when I'm on WiFi. Can't think of a time when I've been off of a WiFi signal that I needed or even wanted to stream HD. I understand that the situation arises but again put emphasis on whether or not that is a strong enough need to necessitate a strong disappointment in network performance. If so, then the previous comments about waiting for broader acceptance of LTE still stands.

Call me odd but I stream HD at home or in the office when I'm on WiFi. Can't think of a time when I've been off of a WiFi signal that I needed or even wanted to stream HD. I understand that the situation arises but again put emphasis on whether or not that is a strong enough need to necessitate a strong disappointment in network performance. If so, then the previous comments about waiting for broader acceptance of LTE still stands.

You make it sound like you will be disappointed with the LTE service Sprint will provide. Sprint has already provided ample bandwidth for HD streaming with its previous 4G iteration. It stands to reason it can deliver more ample bandwith with a technology like LTE and the 3 different bands of it. I'm not making a case for myself. I understand it is unnecessary to have a 6+ Mbps broadband connection on a mobile phone. The constant bashing of sprint from people that demand more than 3 Mbps for their phone is unreasonable. You asked for a reason why anyone would need more than that and I gave it to you. I only said I was hoping for 6, made no demands for anything more than that. I'll take 3 Mbps, hell I've managed with 200 kbps so far. After all, it's the mobile phone and texting capabilities that I even need a phone. Though if Sprint wants to keep its business it will have to deliver those speeds to those unreasonable people that demand 30 Mbps because Verizon or AT&T have it.

Good points. Furthermore Sprint will be limited to 5x5 spectrum deployment. If you need a fatter pipe, you can always look at other options, or wait until Spark is installed in Colorado.

Silly me, I should know better than to look at the official list. ;)

Remember Robert's special trip to Denver last July that was mostly about checking out the first live Band 41 network and maybe a little about taking his wife on a vacation? ;)

:lol:

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

You make it sound like you will be disappointed with the LTE service Sprint will provide. Sprint has already provided ample bandwidth for HD streaming with its previous 4G iteration. It stands to reason it can deliver more ample bandwith with a technology like LTE and the 3 different bands of it. I'm not making a case for myself. I understand it is unnecessary to have a 6+ Mbps broadband connection on a mobile phone. The constant bashing of sprint from people that demand more than 3 Mbps for their phone is unreasonable. You asked for a reason why anyone would need more than that and I gave it to you. I only said I was hoping for 6, made no demands for anything more than that. I'll take 3 Mbps, hell I've managed with 200 kbps so far. After all, it's the mobile phone and texting capabilities that I even need a phone. Though if Sprint wants to keep its business it will have to deliver those speeds to those unreasonable people that demand 30 Mbps because Verizon or AT&T have it.

You completely misread posts. I'm more than satisfied with Sprint's LTE and am making a point to all of those that continue the statements of "less than impressive". I'm more than clear on what to expect and not expect. Just asking that others look at usage "needs" before making those kinds of comments.