Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Equipment installs, yes. It's basically complete. LTE will lag for some time it appears.

Is this then opening the way to upgrade the old WiMax antennas for the new Band 41 equipment? Are they going to finish upgrading the coverage with new Band 41 sites? I read in one of those business sites (don't remember which one) that Sprint is planning to do CA with 40 mhz of their 2500 MHz spectrum, are they speculating or is that planned down the road?

Is this then opening the way to upgrade the old WiMax antennas for the new Band 41 equipment? Are they going to finish upgrading the coverage with new Band 41 sites? I read in one of those business sites (don't remember which one) that Sprint is planning to do CA with 40 mhz of their 2500 MHz spectrum, are they speculating or is that planned down the road?

The vast majority of WiMax sites have been upgraded to Band 41. Denver will likely be fully launched as a Spark market when it is finally launched. Sprint has just started to add Band 41 equipment to existing Sprint sites, and that will accelerate through the end of the year. Yes, they are planning to start using carrier aggregation on Band 41 by later this year or early next.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The vast majority of WiMax sites have been upgraded to Band 41. Denver will likely be fully launched as a Spark market when it is finally launched. Sprint has just started to add Band 41 equipment to existing Sprint sites, and that will accelerate through the end of the year. Yes, they are planning to start using carrier aggregation on Band 41 by later this year or early next.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I kind of figured all the 70+ markets they released for wimax would end up being spark markets. Dan Hesse mentioned that they could always go to LTE on WiMax equipment if the industry went that way with a "software upgrade". I've already done speed tests with 60+ Mbps at some spots in town, very near the upgraded backhaul site obviously. I know AT&T is doing soft launches for VoLTE markets, what is Sprint's take on this? Are they waiting for the 600 MHz spectrum to work on this? I'm quite happy with existing voice coverage, don't quite understand the whole fuzz about VoLTE.

I kind of figured all the 70+ markets they released for wimax would end up being spark markets. Dan Hesse mentioned that they could always go to LTE on WiMax equipment if the industry went that way with a "software upgrade". I've already done speed tests with 60+ Mbps at some spots in town, very near the upgraded backhaul site obviously. I know AT&T is doing soft launches for VoLTE markets, what is Sprint's take on this? Are they waiting for the 600 MHz spectrum to work on this? I'm quite happy with existing voice coverage, don't quite understand the whole fuzz about VoLTE.

They might be doing VoLTE before year end. My hope is that Sprint announces VoLTE and 40MHz TDD-LTE in one fell swoop. That would knock a few T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon elitists off of their pedestal really quickly.

They might be doing VoLTE before year end. My hope is that Sprint announces VoLTE and 40MHz TDD-LTE in one fell swoop. That would knock a few T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon elitists off of their pedestal really quickly.

I'm skeptical of that time frame, but...if Sprint wanted to accelerate their VoLTE program, Nokia (formerly NSN) has a VoLTE in the cloud solution.

http://nsn.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/mts-nokia-make-russia-s-first-live-volte-voice-and-video-call-on-telco-cloud

This sounds really interesting and could help speed implementation. I realize Broadsoft already has a VoLTE contract with Sprint but I honestly suspect the Nokia solution could be used in addition to the Broadsoft technology.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they already announced the June launch cities. And Denver did not make the cut. They may launch in July or August. However, they did complete all the equipment installs in the Denver metro area (excluding DIA and the Boulder cluster). So the LTE equipment is there now at almost every site.

The ones where backhaul was ready, they have fired up LTE. About 1/3 of the city so far. So they are waiting on backhaul on the remaining 2/3. Once they get to the point where 40% are fired up, they will launch.

People with a Triband device will get LTE coverage now over 50% of the metro area. But they will not formally launch the market until uniband device holders have at least 40% coverage.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Robert, should people with tri band devices be getting band 41 in Denver right now? I was getting it up to a month ago, when I forced it. I'm not getting it anywhere forced or not now. The only difference is I uploaded kit Kat onto my Samsung Mega about a month ago. (You might have wanted this in our premier sponsors site, but since you brought it up here, I thought I would ask here. ) Thanks in advance for your time and consideration...

Robert, should people with tri band devices be getting band 41 in Denver right now? I was getting it up to a month ago, when I forced it. I'm not getting it anywhere forced or not now. The only difference is I uploaded kit Kat onto my Samsung Mega about a month ago. (You might have wanted this in our premier sponsors site, but since you brought it up here, I thought I would ask here. ) Thanks in advance for your time and consideration...

Hey Santa the upgrade to Kitkat is not the problem, I lose the ability to force LTE on my g2 also and that wasn't on Kitkat

Send from my HTC ONE M8 H/K y que!!!!

• Like 1

Robert, should people with tri band devices be getting band 41 in Denver right now? I was getting it up to a month ago, when I forced it. I'm not getting it anywhere forced or not now. The only difference is I uploaded kit Kat onto my Samsung Mega about a month ago. (You might have wanted this in our premier sponsors site, but since you brought it up here, I thought I would ask here. ) Thanks in advance for your time and consideration...

Based on reports from others, I believe Sprint has taken B41 offline around Denver.  Hopefully it will not be much longer.

Robert

• Like 2

That's weird I was connected to band 41 in ft Collins and also around 104th and I25

If I run the .15 radio and force LTE only I get it. At least near Coors field yesterday I did for a minute. But other areas I couldn't.

• Like 1

If I run the .15 radio and force LTE only I get it. At least near Coors field yesterday I did for a minute. But other areas I couldn't.

I was able to force the LTE at home with no problems until I got some towers accepted closed to the one I was connecting

I was able to force the LTE at home with no problems until I got some towers accepted closed to the one I was connecting

It's so weird....

On another note. In Dallas for the weekend. Oh man, best Sprint experience I've had in the post wimax days. B26 everywhere, tons of b41. Haven't fallen back to 3g wince I touched down this evening!

It's so weird....

On another note. In Dallas for the weekend. Oh man, best Sprint experience I've had in the post wimax days. B26 everywhere, tons of b41. Haven't fallen back to 3g wince I touched down this evening!

im going back there in thanksgiving week , last year wasn't to great it was pretty slow but I believe it was band 25 only at that time , I was at the cowboys game and the signal was almost gone

Sent from my iCrap using Tapatalk

im going back there in thanksgiving week , last year wasn't to great it was pretty slow but I believe it was band 25 only at that time , I was at the cowboys game and the signal was almost gone

Sent from my iCrap using Tapatalk

It's pretty impressive so far this trip.

Anxious to have this at home!

Loving the G3s RF performance. Spark is good!

Could someone do me a giant favor and PM me with codes and other good stuff I'll need to get accustomed to on an LG Spark device? I would be eternally grateful.

Sent from my G3

Sent from my G3

• Like 1

I guess he is asking about the codes to change priority on the band's and all that stuff

Sent from my G3

Probably best bet is to check out the G3 thread. Some devices has lost the ability to change priorities and such, as it's not really needed much anymore in many places.

• Like 1

I'm still struggling with getting LTE in Denver and AUrora.  I see they updated the coverage map to include Cheyenne for 4g LTE data.  I was hearing it would all be up by June 2014 (this site and Sprint stores).  Has that changed to a later date?  Is it my HTC 4g LTE phone?  Sadly when I bought this phone, I was told by Sprint LTE would be available soon.  That was almost 2 years ago.  Would upgrading my phone offer more available 4g bands on the sprint network?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thx all!

I'm still struggling with getting LTE in Denver and AUrora. I see they updated the coverage map to include Cheyenne for 4g LTE data. I was hearing it would all be up by June 2014 (this site and Sprint stores). Has that changed to a later date? Is it my HTC 4g LTE phone? Sadly when I bought this phone, I was told by Sprint LTE would be available soon. That was almost 2 years ago. Would upgrading my phone offer more available 4g bands on the sprint network? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx all!

Yes it's most likely your phone. The Evo 4g lte was one of if not the worst lte performing phone in the entire lineup. Literally every phone today is heads and shoulders above that one in terms of reception.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm still struggling with getting LTE in Denver and AUrora.  I see they updated the coverage map to include Cheyenne for 4g LTE data.  I was hearing it would all be up by June 2014 (this site and Sprint stores).  Has that changed to a later date?  Is it my HTC 4g LTE phone?  Sadly when I bought this phone, I was told by Sprint LTE would be available soon.  That was almost 2 years ago.  Would upgrading my phone offer more available 4g bands on the sprint network?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thx all!

Yes it's most likely your phone. The Evo 4g lte was one of if not the worst lte performing phone in the entire lineup. Literally every phone today is heads and shoulders above that one in terms of reception.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well, it may not be just your phone. As far as I can tell the Denver market has about 20% LTE operating. The Network vision upgrade is about 99% done, but the data backhaul (fiber connectivity) is lagging behind and Sprint wont activate LTE on a site until it has a backhaul with enough bandwidth to support it. It appears that contractors are way behind with the fiber installations. So it seems that it's in the hands of third party fiber installers now.

• Like 2