Q4 2015 Sprint Corp Earnings (Jan-Mar 2016)

NYC126

Hell yeah only worth $3.2B in market cap! Slap a little extra dressing on that salad and it's an easy postpaid subscriber gain as well as spectrum. In the case of Sprint getting USCC, they can sell the 800MHz and 700MHz to the other 3 which sweetens the pot. And due to access to cheaper goods/services due to the size and the bulk deals a larger carrier would make, they can reduces expenses and make that sad USCC income decline go up up up.

Furthermore, in the case of Sprint, it might also be helpful to see if operating under the US Cellular name improve net additions.

US Cellular won't sell. But if they were, why would Sprint sell the cellular license? I may be wrong, but current B26 equipment should be able to cover the 850 Cellular Band as well.

US Cellular won't sell. But if they were, why would Sprint sell the cellular license? I may be wrong, but current B26 equipment should be able to cover the 850 Cellular Band as well.

Well US Cellular is a public company so it's really up to the majority owners & if the FCC approves. And yes it could work but Sprint already has good spectrum holdings, they can cell the cellular license to make some money (or a spectrum swap) and just layer the USCC network with B26, B25 (possibly 10x10 or more 5x5 carriers), and B41.

may be wrong, but current B26 equipment should be able to cover the 850 Cellular Band as well.

Nope. Band 26 being a superset down mean the equipment can do the 850 CLR frequencies. 

Well US Cellular is a public company so it's really up to the majority owners & if the FCC approves. And yes it could work but Sprint already has good spectrum holdings, they can cell the cellular license to make some money (or a spectrum swap) and just layer the USCC network with B26, B25 (possibly 10x10 or more 5x5 carriers), and B41.

The majority owners are the Carlson family and they are not selling. 
  • Like 2

They can also optimize their low band for seamless coverage, crippling congestion be damned. (Just be extremely aggressive about keeping devices off of it unless actually needed). This is how Verizon works with their B13.

If they're smart, this is exactly what they will do.

This would work out if b41 was really wide spread but its nowhere near as far as Verizon b4 in terms of coverage so Verizon can do that. Sprint would still need to densify to be able to do the same.

Nope. Band 26 being a superset down mean the equipment can do the 850 CLR frequencies. 

Tim, isn't that what greenbastard said?  :confused:

• Like 2

Yeah I read that over like 5 times since it was posted and I'm still confused.

No. Band 26 yes does cover band 5.

However, the equipment that Ericsson has deployed for example is for frequency 806 to 824 and 851 to 869.  850 Cellular starts at 824 to 849 and 869 to 894. This would require new equipment or a rip and replace of current equipment unless there has been a class permissive update that I missed. 

• Like 2

However, the equipment that Ericsson has deployed for example is for frequency 806 to 824 and 851 to 869. 850 Cellular starts at 824 to 849 and 869 to 894. This would require new equipment or a rip and replace of current equipment unless there has been a class permissive update that I missed.

From what I have recently learned, there hasn't and won't be a permissive update because the equipment was never designed to run on anything other than 806 to 824.

However, the equipment that Ericsson has deployed for example is for frequency 806 to 824 and 851 to 869.  850 Cellular starts at 824 to 849 and 869 to 894. This would require new equipment or a rip and replace of current equipment unless there has been a class permissive update that I missed. 

That seems like a MAJOR missed opportunity to simplify their product lineup. They could have just made one 800MHz RRU that does ESMR and CLR to sell to Sprint VZ and ATT. 

That seems like a MAJOR missed opportunity to simplify their product lineup. They could have just made one 800MHz RRU that does ESMR and CLR to sell to Sprint VZ and ATT. 

Well, Vestburg, Ericsson's CEO, just purged a bunch of suits on the network side of his company. Perhaps he finally got tired of losing to Nokia. 

Well, Vestburg, Ericsson's CEO, just purged a bunch of suits on the network side of his company. Perhaps he finally got tired of losing to Nokia.

Look at it this way.

Nokia, in a span if a year, went from just serving one and a half us carriers (tmobile + sprint 2.5) to three carriers.

Att (they are in process of ripping out all alu equipment for Nokia), tmobile, and sprint Nokia 2.5 (over Ericsson land) and 800/1.9/2.5 after taking over Alcatel-Lucent.

Ericsson dominant market has been penetrated by Nokia and they must be mad as hell.

• Like 1

Att (they are in process of ripping out all alu equipment for Nokia),

Is this move part of AT&T's transitioning to software defined networks? I knew AT&T execs like Randall Stephenson talked about that process a lot, but always in very vague terms. 

Is this move part of AT&T's transitioning to software defined networks? I knew AT&T execs like Randall Stephenson talked about that process a lot, but always in very vague terms.

Not necessarily.

Nokia equipment is just far superior to Alcatel-Lucents.

I wouldn't say good holdings. Sprint needs more FDD-LTE. Band41 yes they own alot, but, The signal is not good alot the time.at home it get mostly -115. very slow.

I wouldn't say good holdings. Sprint needs more FDD-LTE. Band41 yes they own alot, but, The signal is not good alot the time.at home it get mostly -115. very slow.

-115 very slow?!?! unless you are in a highly congested area, -115 yields 10mb/s down which is plenty for NetFlix/Youtube/Hulu, etc.  I'm a "datahog" due to no high speed internet where i love (30+gb/month) and have no issue with those signals strengths for anything that I do on my phone.

-115 very slow?!?! unless you are in a highly congested area, -115 yields 10mb/s down which is plenty for NetFlix/Youtube/Hulu, etc.  I'm a "datahog" due to no high speed internet where i love (30+gb/month) and have no issue with those signals strengths for anything that I do on my phone.

Yeah, I'd agree with you.  Where I am right now, I just did a speedtest with -112 B41 signal.  Ping:  29, Download:  42Mbps, Upload:  5.5Mbps.

• Like 1

Maybe it's different for 8T8R, but I find -115 to be about the minimum for data to go through on Samsung Clear equipment with my S5.  At -120, which my phone will cling to, no data passes.

- Trip

Maybe it's different for 8T8R, but I find -115 to be about the minimum for data to go through on Samsung Clear equipment with my S5.  At -120, which my phone will cling to, no data passes.

Data, you shall not pass.

AJ

- Trip

Yeah, that is probably your bogey, In Michigan we are almost all 8T8R, with the beamforming, I connect to B41 before B25

- Trip

You guys need 8T8R and beamforming - I got B41 footprint where I would only connect to B25, it's amazing and it works far better.

• Like 1